Search results

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. VR6GTiGuy

Schwinn Homegrown

The original Yeti built mid 90's hard tail Homegrown frames were very well built and handled very well. I was working at a Schwinn dealer at the time and people (including me) waited months to get a frame. No one regretted the wait. Really a fantastic and underrated bike and that is coming...
  2. VR6GTiGuy

What are the coolest bikes you've ever ridden?

The bike in my avatar is a c1909 Crescent shaft drive with adjustable Sanger handlebars and I have put a few miles on that. Pretty cool. I also have a few miles on this Pierce But the coolest thing I ever "rode" was this Velocipede (OK, I only got to sit on it, but still very cool:
  3. VR6GTiGuy

What are the coolest bikes you've ever ridden?

There are certainly bikes in this thread that are more rare, but yours is definitely one of the coolest. Nice work!
  4. VR6GTiGuy

Anyone going to Memory Lane?

The October show is going on now through Saturday. Anyone going? Hard to find info about it, but sounds like they get a good turnout. I will be there most of the day tomorrow (Friday) with some ratty goodness. Would be cool to meet some of you.
  5. VR6GTiGuy

Dutch Treat

Cool bike. I have a bit of a thing for these Dutch and English Tourist bikes. They are under appreciated and it is surprising how cool of a bike you can get for very little money. They ride very comfortably also. They have changed very little over the years and most bikes from the 1940s up...
  6. VR6GTiGuy

Sherrif's Deputy Hits Cyclist

I am not sure what about this grinds me the most. If you read all the articles, the officer claimed the cyclist swerved in front of him. After the investigation and eyewitness testimony proved that was not the case, the officer admitted that he lied and that the cyclist never left the bike...
  7. VR6GTiGuy

Sherrif's Deputy Hits Cyclist

Saw this in a post on the CABE. What a shame. I hope this at least gets some attention and people talking. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2736376/Deputy-killed-former-Napster-COO-drifting-bike-lane-distracted-laptop-NOT-face-charges-answering-work-related-email.html...
  8. VR6GTiGuy

Crazy fork...

Now that is cool! Probably beyond my skill levels to build one, but that has the gears in my head turning.
  9. VR6GTiGuy

OLD OLD FRAME - WHAT IS IT?

I just looked through some more of my reference material and I see that Sterling had a very thin lug on their late 1890's frames, but the cranks and rear drop outs were quite a bit different than what you have. Could be from that time frame.
  10. VR6GTiGuy

OLD OLD FRAME - WHAT IS IT?

Your old frame has a lot of features that are consistent with late 1890s to early 1900s frames. The crank/sprocket set up look very close to my 1890s Pierce. Is the frame lugged? That was not a common feature in that time period at least on US made bikes and might mean is is not that early...
  11. VR6GTiGuy

1950 Roadmaster Luxury Liner

Nice JD. Looks like you found a pretty complete one. Should make a great looking finished bike.
  12. VR6GTiGuy

Vista "the banana"

Drum brake, stick shift and a really trick fork. Nice find!
  13. VR6GTiGuy

Niagara - Any info?

Thanks Jpromo. The Columbia catalog picture looks right on. I was thinking 1920s at the earliest. Here is what the hub says from top to bottom as near as I can read: 36-I3 MADE IN ELMIRA NY U.S.A. ECLIPSE MACHINE PAT IN U.S.A. JULY 19 OCT 25 190(4?) AUG 24 190(9?)
  14. VR6GTiGuy

Niagara - Any info?

Here is a better picture of the lower top tube and seat tube junction Full resolution picture of the rear hub. Looks like the last date is 190X.
  15. VR6GTiGuy

Niagara - Any info?

Had to be patient on this one, but it was worth the wait. Yes, I could not pass on the color. You do not see a lot of bikes in brighter colors from this period and blue seems very uncommon. Interesting comment on being Columbia made. There area where the lower top tube meets the seat tube...
  16. VR6GTiGuy

Niagara - Any info?

Well, if I were really lucky, it would it have been a 1920s Hawthorne Flyer Motorbike or a Colson high/lo. ;)
  17. VR6GTiGuy

Niagara - Any info?

I picked up this Niagara off of Craig's List mainly because of the condition and unusual blue color. The seller said he was told it was a 1918 when he got it, but I am not sure about that. Other than pedals and of course tires, it appears to be mostly original. Front hub says "New Departure...
  18. VR6GTiGuy

High Flange Coaster Brake Hub

Stunning! Nice to see someone who still places craftsmanship as a priority.
  19. VR6GTiGuy

1964 Sears Spaceliner

Nice score. A Spaceliner / Flightliner style bike is on my search list right now. Enjoy the hunt for parts. It will be a fun project.
  20. VR6GTiGuy

Coolest brake shoes I have ever seen

Vans brake shoes. Very fun. Have not seen those in a while.
Back