Search results

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. Dan Hampton

ELGIN Decoluxe

I noticed you had some deep fenders. I was thinking about getting some of those.
  2. Dan Hampton

ELGIN Decoluxe

The B&W photos look good! The warehouse was good choice.
  3. Dan Hampton

Lauson Motor Bike

Unfortunately I've run into some problems with the engine and pedal clearance. It can be done with the engine I have, but it isn't the look I want for this bicycle. I'm in the process of obtaining a new engine, one that is more suited for the bike. I wish I could have finished on time. I will...
  4. Dan Hampton

Lauson Motor Bike

I've been away for awhile now. I was out of town for a week and had little time to work on the build since I've been back. I added some gussets on the step-out for added strength. Placement of the engine may be a little difficult to determine. This engine wasn't designed for bicycles so some...
  5. Dan Hampton

Lauson Motor Bike

I think he's going to use it for an ejection seat handle.
  6. Dan Hampton

Lauson Motor Bike

I had to step out the frame in order to have clearance for the drive wheel and belt. It wasn't as difficult as making the brackets, but was still challenging. After a few measurements here, a few measurements there and some eyeballing the section of frame was marked for cutting. Another good...
  7. Dan Hampton

Lauson Motor Bike

That's a good idea, but the way the wheel was made it already had a natural break for eight lugs. It just seemed to work out that way.
  8. Dan Hampton

Lauson Motor Bike

The bracket phase of this project is complete. They started out as one solid piece, but with miscalculations and other errors, the drive wheel wasn't centered. The Renaissance Man suggested making them a two piece unit. His idea once again proved beneficial. The brackets are now adjustable and...
  9. Dan Hampton

Lauson Motor Bike

Thank you!
  10. Dan Hampton

Lauson Motor Bike

I've had mine a couple of years now and I'm finally getting around to doing something with it.
  11. Dan Hampton

Lauson Motor Bike

After getting the brackets shaped properly comes the job of fitting them to the drive wheel and rim. When you bend steel plate, or anything for that matter, you can either lose or gain length. There were many mistakes and what turned out to be scrap pieces in making them come out the same. I...
  12. Dan Hampton

Lauson Motor Bike

I have my drive wheel roughed out. I'll rout a groove later on for the drive belt. Next comes a lot head scratching on how to attach the wood wheel to the rim. I researched different ways and decided to make brackets out of 1/8" steel plate. After many attempts at trying to get the angles right...
  13. Dan Hampton

Lauson Motor Bike

After trimming the corners I laid out the circle as a guide for the router. The router gauge was set to the diameter of the outer circle and the excess cut off. The router gauge was then set to the diameter of the inner circle. Guide lines were then drawn in the proper position to attach stops...
  14. Dan Hampton

Lauson Motor Bike

Thank you. It comes in handy sometimes.
  15. Dan Hampton

Lauson Motor Bike

The next part of the build is the drive wheel. I played around with different ideas of what to use and how to mount it. I looked into v-belt pulleys and bicycle rims but couldn't find the right size, and v-belt pulleys can be expensive. The Renaissance Man suggested making one out of wood. I...
  16. Dan Hampton

Lauson Motor Bike

I had a fairly productive weekend. I worked on my fitting and brazing and did a mock up with the forks and fenders. The forks and fenders are Monark. I wanted a springer fork, but the fenders I had wouldn't fit the forks so I had to use Monark fenders. There will be some adjustments made to the...
  17. Dan Hampton

Lauson Motor Bike

After smoothing out the frame where it was cut, I put it on the garage floor and laid out with soapstone how I wanted the top tube. I used what I think is hydraulic line. I cut a form out of 3/4" plywood with the same arc as my layout and bent the tube around the form. Next a little fitting and...
  18. Dan Hampton

Lauson Motor Bike

Here's a mock up of the frame and engine after a little cutting here and there.
  19. Dan Hampton

Lauson Motor Bike

It should look familiar. You're missing one just like it.
  20. Dan Hampton

Lauson Motor Bike

Here's the frame I'm using for my motor bike, a 1950's CWC Western Flyer. This one will need some modifications to accommodate the engine.
Back