Search results

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. antiquecycles

Chrome Recomendations

UPDATE... Although I was super happy with every aspect of my chrome experience with The Chrome Shop, my friend had to wait over a month to be told they hadn't started on his. He called (1-26) and they said they were swamped and they were running behind. They got right on it and he received it...
  2. antiquecycles

Need an Elgin EXPERT to answer

I always ask questions. Problem is, people will say the tank will fit if they can make a sale. We will soon see...Thanks
  3. antiquecycles

Thanks for the tip. These tanks flooded the market when the Anniversary edition Columbia came out in the 90's. I believe one company put them out. They are all the same (from what I can see) I just dont know if it will fit :) Too late though, I took a gamble and ordered one. I will report...
  4. antiquecycles

I am getting some conflicting info and I need someone to confirm tank fitment on an Elgin. I am done with a re-do of a '37 Elgin. I have concluded that it IS a '37 (MOS 770396) Murray built. My question is, will the tanks sold on ebay fit? There are a ton of the repop tanks for Columbia's...
  5. antiquecycles

Elgin ID again...

Bite your tongue, Adam! :) Actually, I took a long, close look. It is MOS 770396. A friend of mine (self proclaimed Elgin official) said it is a '37. He confirmed what Scott (The Black Monark) said; it was most-likely a base model with no tank or truss rods. It came with surplus forks that...
  6. antiquecycles

Elgin ID again...

Scott, Too dark to take pics last night and I left for work at 5am. I did read the marks on the brake side of the hub. There was a triangle and an "F". Mean anything? Thx
  7. antiquecycles

Elgin ID again...

And you shall have them :) I am beginning to think I may have a been a bit hasty in reading the serial number. Perhaps the code was MOS "7" 0396 rather than MOS 1 0396?
  8. antiquecycles

Elgin ID again...

Scott, There is a name on the hub then a "7" with a letter (A?). I am not at home and cannot remember exactly. The hub says something other than Musselman. The brake is blank/generic. thanks for the help! Kris
  9. antiquecycles

Elgin ID again...

Thanks, Cman.
  10. antiquecycles

Elgin ID again...

You're forcing me to show my ignorance, publicly :) (I dont understand.) If you're referring to the hubs being Musselman, they aren't. They aren't ND either. They are finned as normal on Elgin. I forget the name though... Thanks for identifying the forks. Kris
  11. antiquecycles

Elgin ID again...

Scott, Also, can you tell me what the forks are off of? They dont look correct to Elgin. (In the pic they are backwards) Thanks, Kris
  12. antiquecycles

Elgin ID again...

I sent you an email with a pic. To answer your question; the serial number is MOS 1 0396. I am under the impression that the number immediately following the manufacturer ("1") is the year. Am I wrong?
  13. antiquecycles

Elgin ID again...

Ooops! My apologies, Scott :) I get you and Chris (Monarky) mixed up, sorry. The link should work now...https://www.flickr.com/photos/krisblake/16382598095/
  14. antiquecycles

Elgin ID again...

Chris, It doesnt allow me to. Here is a link to a photo from the CL ad: https://www.flickr.com/photos/krisblake/16382598095/ Thanks
  15. antiquecycles

Elgin ID again...

I am working on a Mens Elgin with a straight downtube. It is clearly a Murray, built for Sears. Can one of you experts confirm my fear that it is a 41? I was under the impression that the straight seat tube went away in 1940. Here is what my bottom bracket reads:MOS 1 0396 Thanks in advance...
  16. antiquecycles

Chrome Recomendations

Did you use The Chrome Shop? I am expecting a bunch of parts to arrive any day, cant wait! Started 2 pre war bicycles this week and gonna send them more in 2-3 days. It takes over 3 weeks but you cant beat the price and service. Good people! thanks for your post :) Kris
  17. antiquecycles

Colson gallery...

Finished the 40 Colson Vogue
  18. antiquecycles

41 Elgin

You scored on those fenders! I have to agree with your choice to leave it bare metal. Every time I re do a bicycle I debate leaving it bare. My friend picked up a 41 Elgin about 3 weeks ago. He wanted one he could paint and this tanker had previously been painted. Here is a link to the thread...
  19. antiquecycles

1941 Elgin

Thanks, Luke :) Also, thank you for getting the pictures "on" the post! Kris
  20. antiquecycles

1941 Elgin

I still suffer from stupidity with loading photos... My friend and I spent a few hours working on our bicycles. He showed up at my house with some things he had taken home to work on. When I saw them I immediately became jealous. I thought about shooting him in an effort to make said parts...
Back