Search results

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. Phil Fink

Can someone decode this JC serial number?

M.O.T.S.-V M - Murray O - Ohio T - Tennessee (not 1954-T) S - Sears (not 1953-S) V - 1956-V. MOD-502, 458 Mod - model (not 1939-D) 502 - code for Sears 458 - model #
  2. Phil Fink

JC Higgins serial build date

MOS-P is likely 1950, (and for Sears). MOS-S would be 1953, because sometimes, "S" (e.g., in MOS) is for Sometimes-Sears, on Murray-built bikes. Other times, the "S" stamp is a date code. Murray may have re-used the "S" date code in 1960, but the difference between the 1950's and 1960's...
  3. Phil Fink

Chicken coop find (pre war?) Elgin questions.

I would estimate late 1920's with an "F" serial number. The Excelsior Cycle company had financial difficulties in the late 1920's; (I vaguely recall reading something about the year 1929). Not sure if they lasted into 1930, although pictures of their makes are shown in ads for 1930's Sears Elgin...
  4. Phil Fink

Women’s 26” Dyno Dyno-Glide cruiser value

I found one for $75 local pick-up on eBay in 2015, (about one month after joining this forum). The company called the color purple as, "violet pearl".
  5. Phil Fink

Help please identifying the year of my Monark

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1953-vintage-firestone-store-2054920280 The 1953 Firestone catalog pictures are grainy, and the "Holiday" catalog number 9A 100 might be read.
  6. Phil Fink

Worth it?

Seems kind-of-high to me, but in my neighborhood, sometimes people put old derailleur bikes out on the street for refuse collection on Mondays?
  7. Phil Fink

New Departure Model "D" Axle Nuts

A google search of 3/8-24 UNF oversize threads yielded tools and information for tapping oversize "H" threads. From the CABE thread, mentioned before, (new link): https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/new-departure-axle-nuts.3222/ the difference that one measured was 0.371" - 0.366" = 0.005" which...
  8. Phil Fink

1939-1941 elgin any

An amateur's refurbishment might be fitting, rather than an expensive restorization.
  9. Phil Fink

Built me a wheel truing stand

Nice work. And maybe someday a precision rim pin-striping attachment?
  10. Phil Fink

U.C.B. Hub Project- New Departure Model A

How important are the A15 Socket washers (spherical washers) and the A14 Axle washers (flat washers)? And is adding thin lock nuts, on either or both sides recommended, helpful or harmful?
  11. Phil Fink

Painting Hubs

I have been tinkering with some old hubs of various makes and ages, overhaul and painting (not contracted metal-plating or powder-coating), and was wondering about using the very-high temperature (VHT) spray paints. So Krylon has Engine paints (550-degrees) and Caliper paints (900-degrees)...
  12. Phil Fink

Arch-bar / Truss bridge style frame and fork

J.W. Grady New England bicycles also had the diagonally-spaced holes for fastening head badge.
  13. Phil Fink

New hub and sprocket!

I was thinking maybe a matching color painted stripe in the groove of the sprocket.
  14. Phil Fink

need help identifying this bike i just picked up (no head badge)

I believe that 1934-M would have the integrated chain tensioner screws (not the banjo style), that seemed to go away early post-war, yet retaining the older-style rear fork ends.
  15. Phil Fink

Arch-bar / Truss bridge style frame and fork

I believe that the arch truss frame bike on eBay; (whoever ends auctions at midnight, doh, deserves a measly $150- high bid!); could be an Emblem Angola NY. Perhaps measure the arch or truss tube diameter; is it fairly small? The locations of the diagonally-spaced head badge screws look...
  16. Phil Fink

Help ID this bike. Looks like a shelby, weird serial

So the bare-metal frame is not a HP Snyder, DP Harris or Rollfast; it is a Shelby Ohio bike. Shelby started about ~1925, and began to re-use alphabet letters, sometime about ~1940(?); and they seem to skip letters too(!)(?). Maybe they reached their millionth bike, and did not wish to...
  17. Phil Fink

Coasterbrake hub builds

I wonder if a rock-tumbling type operation would polish-up the rougher edges, (or might ruin it?).
  18. Phil Fink

50s Western Flyer

Nice bike. Not sure if I did my 3-speed bike the wrong way, but I was able to loosen the lock nut on the reaction arm, and twist the axle so that the flats and the tab on the yellow-painted steel fixed washer aligned to the frame (Worksman).
  19. Phil Fink

Please Help With Value And Year

Nice middleweight bike (26 x 1.75" tires). I believe that the SPCA did allow (and still allows) the amber and red reflectors on children's bicycle toys. 16 CFR 1512: "Side reflectors. The side-mounted reflector devices shall be essentially colorless or amber on the front wheel and essentially...
Back