Search results

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. AndyA

32-er Project Abandoned Before it Begins

Saw this Kent on Craigslist for $40. Thought it would look cool with BMX-style handlebars and seat; sort of a monster BMX. But after researching the availability (hardly any) and cost (high) of 32-inch tires, I abandoned the project. Even if the existing tires are good, one would need new tires...
  2. AndyA

Schwinn Debbie Among the Flowers

This 18" bike went from being sad at the curb to resting among my wife's flowers (her idea). It may eventually go to our granddaughter, who is currently a fan of the "Pinkalicious" series of books. According to the head badge, Debbie started out in Chicago. p.s. Yes, I know, the window box...
  3. AndyA

Potential Acquisition: Hyper Cruiser

This is up on Craigslist. I kinda like that frame. I see that Walmart sells these for $150. Anybody out there have any experience with one of these? Quality? Riding characteristics? Karma?
  4. AndyA

Royce Union Skylark Cruiser

Craigslist find at $10. First impression: this looks a lot like a military bike (except for the whitewall stripes). Let's take it the rest of the way to a military tribute! Strip it down, apply some olive drab paint, and see where the project takes us.
  5. AndyA

Body Glove Cruiser

For your consideration, a 26" cantilever frame 6-speed with a "Body Glove" head sticker. Appears to be a Huffy repainted as a promotion. Thinking about switching to a single-speed freewheel and BMX-style handlebars. First challenge was a frozen aluminum seat post. Post was removed with some...
  6. AndyA

Columbia Coyote for Grandson

I acquired a Columbia Coyote 20" frame, visited the parts department, and started assembling a bike for my grandson. My goal was to get it on the street for him to test ride and talk about appearance later. One modification was a smaller chain ring to more closely match the gear ratio on his...
  7. AndyA

Ross Eurotour

Curb-find identified by wife while she was walking. She's a good woman. Ross Eurotour 5-speed. What happened to the rest of the kiddie seat? Did Rerun fall off in the bushes?
  8. AndyA

Other Uses for Bikes

For example, drying rack for beach towels (Huffy Good Vibrations 24"). Well, the colors kinda go.
  9. AndyA

Ooh, it makes me wonder!

Apologies to Led Zeppelin. I was cleaning off my workbench yesterday, which needed it badly. And I found this sardine can with a lonely ball. Now I'm trying to remember which bottom bracket might be short a ball. Or not. We live in a world of worry.
  10. AndyA

16" Monocoque Frame

Check out this curb find. Does it give anybody an idea for frame fabrication? I'm knee deep in 16" bikes so this will probably end up at the thrift shop. But I couldn't leave it for the garbage truck. I found it while heading for home on a little morning ride, so I rode the last couple of...
  11. AndyA

The One That Got Away

I am visiting relatives in Massachusetts and sneaked a peek at Craigslist for the area. This Columbia was listed for $50. I had just left to pick it up when the seller texted and said a coworker of his was interested. So no fresh find for me this time.
  12. AndyA

Pepto-Bismol anyone?

Huffy Savannah "comfort touring" bike. Ten speeds and all the pink that you can handle. Gonna fix it up for my wife. Maybe I'll attach a bottle holder and add a bottle of P-B. When my daughter was 5 years old, we added a bedroom for her and I told her she could pick out the paint. Yup, it ended...
  13. AndyA

Caliper Brake Mounting (there's a lesson here)

I wanted to switch my 24" Huffy Good Vibrations from coaster brake to freewheel. Once you're used to a freewheel, with or without derailleur, a coaster can be annoying. Front caliper brake was easy. Rear caliper looked like it would fit so I bought a single speed freewheel and replaced the...
  14. AndyA

RIP Chuck Yeager

A hero of my boyhood - the first man to fly faster than the speed of sound - has died. Any of you ratters have ideas for a tribute bike based on the Bell X-1 rocket plane? In the 50's and 60's there certainly were a lot of aerospace-themed bikes.
  15. AndyA

Possible Hub Donor

Thinking about converting the 24-inch Huffy Good Vibrations (green) from coaster brake to freewheel. The 20-inch Rampage (orange) might be a suitable donor. Next steps are counting spokes, measuring the hub, and visiting the parts department to see what 24-inch wheels are available. If we have a...
  16. AndyA

New acquisition: Sun Retro 24-inch

How to proceed? Generally thinking of leaving it semi-crusty. Switch front wheel to 26-inch? Switch to BMX-style stem and handlebars? Need to get saddle higher -- maybe a layback seat post? Decisions, decisions...
  17. AndyA

Cranbrook bubble?

I know that the bike market is hot, but this is nuts. Huffy Cranbrooks were available new at $100 to $150. But now they are all over Craigslist at $200 to $250. Lots of entrepreneurs out there. And suckers. On one hand, I'm glad that more people are riding bikes. On the other hand, this market...
  18. AndyA

Dana automatic transmission on Craigslist

Anybody want a Dana automatic transmission? There's a Craigslist ad for an AMF cruiser with a trans on the Jersey shore. Go to Craigslist, central NJ, 1980's? AMF bike - $100 (long branch).
  19. AndyA

Huffy Tundra Recruited into the Army

A friend with a pickup truck (it's good to have friends with pickups) dropped off some curb finds. Included was a Huffy Tundra MTB, which is the red bike in the foreground in the photo below. It was in fair shape and I was able to get it on the road pretty quick. It rode well. For some reason...
  20. AndyA

Really low-tech LED headlight conversion

1) Bought a little LED flashlight for a dollar at the dollar store (sorry, I forgot to take a pic before installation) 2) Removed the original bulb base and made the hole in the reflector bigger to accommodate flashlight 3) Fastened flashlight in place with hot glue Other obvious steps include...
Back