Search results

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. S

Cleaning and polishing frames

Probably so! It turns black once it starts removing the oxidation. I used to try the clay bar methods but it never seemed to last. I used to use blue magic but it has ammonia in it which in turn accelerates oxidizing. Same with the wadding stuff people use; I think it has kerosene or petrol...
  2. S

Waste your time all you want with sanding and such to strip but Heavy Duty non scented oven cleaner or Goo Gone Graffiti remover on bicycles is about the fastest 2 ways to chemically strip them anymore. Mini Wire brush the welded/seamed areas. Common sense is key as You shouldn't leave anything...
  3. S

Aluminum frames can be sanded, finer grit sanding doesn't leave aggressive marks as bad, heavy duty non scented oven cleaner & or Goo Gone Pro Graffiti Remover will eat most paint to bare metal; scrub off with sos or steel wool
  4. S

SOLD Dyno Blue Flame Fenders and Giant APE Bars

Ohhh. Ok they're too tall for my taste & the fact I wanted like maybe 24" tops for a 1 1/8" threadless setup I have on my Nirve Switchblade project. Thanks
  5. S

J.C. Higgins

It looks from what I can see in the pics to have the Raised Elgin V head badge? Between that & the rear wheel mounting points facing forwards it's Late 40's or early 50's. Serial #s on BB or "dropouts" ? If it's stamped "MO"+ it can be dated to a specific year as this is how Murry is...
  6. S

SOLD Dyno Blue Flame Fenders and Giant APE Bars

What's the height on those Dyno Apes & are they 1" or 7/8" center ?
  7. S

***** NIRVE Bikes *****

Don't know how many times I have had mine off & am thankful I don't have to hunt the master link & breaker for 1 bike :cool:
  8. S

***** NIRVE Bikes *****

They are discontinued as far I know. My 2004 is buyable but not cheap & probably over priced to some -Monark Fenders. It could be had for a Nice Monark Deep Fender or Firestone Cruiser/Super Deluxe tank bike pretty complete. Maybe even a CWC tank bike. Eventually it'll look similar to a Basman...
  9. S

***** NIRVE Bikes *****

Mine in the works. Plan to motor it with a 110cc clone 4speed semi auto, 26mm Mikuni, & plan to rework the frame; chopping down forks, reshaping the entire lower down tube, & making room for a wider rear wheel setup
  10. S

Non-vintage tandem into "stretch cruiser"

Nothing wrong with reversing threaded stems or even regular threadless stems. I did it all the time on bmx bikes as a kid & used the bolts to attach brackets to hold stuff; baseball bat across the bars, tire iron for a car, & even a small/medium wooden box to carry stuff. Before I knew about...
  11. S

Rusted chain salvage.

There's a youtube video where a guy does a paraffin wax mix for his chains once cleaned to prevent so much dirt but it's again for road bikes. Once cleaned pretty well if you use something like Liquid Wrench with Cerflon to lube you shouldn't have to clean it very often for most cruisers. Trail...
  12. S

Wanted: J.C. Higgins Color Flow reflector

Stimsonite #15 Reflector should be what it uses. Common for a lot of bikes.
  13. S

Rusted chain salvage.

I use The Works Toilet Bowl cleaner from the Dollar Tree/stores. If it's heavily rusted soak it for a few hours & use a wire brush. I have soaked some heavily inflexible chains & brought them back to like new use. Works for cleaning motorcycle tanks & other rusty parts. Careful with how long you...
  14. S

FREE Colombia fenders in NJ

If I was to pay for shipping would you consider it? I could use these for 1 of 2 Columbias ; a '51 or '57 24/26"
  15. S

New 1963 Western Auto Sonic Flyer

Cool style bike. I'll buy it for the 1963 New Bike price:whistle:. Being a 1 owner new time capsule piece you may consider starting a bike museum .... like said I believe it will be harder to sell in general .... even for what you may have in it
Back