Search results

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. amecks

Value of this 1967 Schwinn Typhoon 26" TWO-SPEED HUB

Hi. I haven't posted in a while. I have an all original 67 Typhoon with a two speed hub. I actually had two of these and I used the best parts to build this one. It has the "Radiant Coppertone" paint ( I sold the red one for about $275 a few years ago). Along the way I misplaced the orginal...
  2. amecks

Schwinn Panther at Curtiss Museum Swap Meet

The Glenn H Curtiss Museum in Hammondsport NY has a motorcycle event every August. Combination Ride-In, Swap Meet and Museum Show. I trailered a 1959 Indian Chief to display (built by Royal Enfield for Indian after the factory shut down in 1953). Also had a station wagon full of old tools to...
  3. amecks

Huffy Cranbrook on the side of the road

This was right up the street from my house, maybe half a mile. I passed it on the way out this morning and it was still there when I returned about an hour later. Tossed it in the truck. I installed two tubes, adjusted everything and oiled it, then took it out to the driveway and pressure...
  4. amecks

Advice sought on preserving aluminum finish...

Having learned alot from this forum, I thought I might get help with the Project 39-1/2 motorcycle. The bike has alloy triple trees. I used a fine wire wheel which produced a nice satin finish that I think is perfect for the bike. But how can I preserve this look? Not wanting to paint...
  5. amecks

Garage sale Columbia Tandem - all original

Hi. I've dropped back to lurker status this year. Very busy with motorcycle projects. But today I found this tandem at a garage sale... This bike appears to me to have all original parts. Even has the sticker where it was bought. At first I thought the grips were changed but they match and...
  6. amecks

Sturmey S3C hub - brakes stick

I've been riding the bike I threw together last year but the brake sticks. As in the title, it's a Sturmey Archer 3 speed coaster brake hub. The brake stops normally but once stopped the wheel is locked up and I have kick the pedals forward to unstick it. I rebuilt the hub carefully per...
  7. amecks

Huffy 3 Speed and unrelated tire question...

Picked this up pretty cheap from CL. Huffy Chesapeake with a Shimano 3CC coaster brake. I know they're not the greatest but at least it is in good working order. Almost bought a similar bike last week, single speed, but had second thoughts. Glad I waited or I'd be kicking myself. (I really...
  8. amecks

Junker - parts bike

Assembled from an Iverson 10 speed frame and forks I've been saving for years. This is a Junker because the frame and forks are the only parts that are from 1 bike. Started putting parts in a box that I thought might work and when I found a Sturmey 3 speed coaster brake, things started coming...
  9. amecks

Help! Wheel not centered in frame.

Help me fix this! What's wrong here and how can I fix it? The wheel is centered and straight in the lower frame rails, but is cocked to the left side in the upper rails. I widened both the upper and lower rails to fit these wheels/tires. At that time I had checked to make sure the dropouts...
  10. amecks

Learning the hard way...wheel lacing a S3C

I could probably have just swapped this with the existing hub... but, nope, I wanted a cross 4 pattern, not cross 3. So I kept guesstimating the spoke length and laced it twice with spokes that were way way long and then way long. Finally I grabbed a wheel that had an empty Shimano 3 speed and...
  11. amecks

What can you tell me about Haro BMX 20" bike?

It's a Haro F2 probably a stunt bike -it seems it had those footrests on the axles. And the rear brake cable went thru a splitter around the steering head so the front fork could spin. It's functional but not in the best condition. Is there any value to this bike? Do people look for this...
  12. amecks

Rollfast "SE" - Help identify?

I bought this from a young lad who got 2.125 tires/wheels for it and they wouldn't fit. It appears to be a middleweight. I have 1.75 tires on order - finger crossed that they'll fit. The paint looks like it will clean up nicely, rust is light. Nice twin top tube frame. The serial # F282611...
  13. amecks

Throwing together a Schwinn Breeze to sell

Dug through the parts stash in the garage loft. There were two Breeze bikes one 26" and one 24", so the 24 was a parts donor because it had better chrome. Found a set of 26" non Schwinn wheels and tires. The rear wheel is from a tandem - I know because the Bendix arm says "Tandem" and it has...
  14. amecks

Free - Diamondback Outlook

A fellow tool collector who lives nearby offered me this bike. It needed air in the tires, the kickstand mounted properly and maybe needs a seat. I've noticed that with the few mountain bikes I've ridden, there's a lot of my weight on the handlebars. The steering is very "quick" - it seems to...
  15. amecks

Sturmey Hub - Special washer??? Do I need this?

I want to put a set of neat axle adjusters on the Ashtabula. Do I need to keep these special tabbed washers? This is an old Sturmey Archer 3 Speed Drum Brake hub. The washer interferes with the placement of the axle adjusters. How necessary is the washer? There's one on each side. Here's a...
  16. amecks

Two Schwinn Typhoon 2 Speeds - making of GoldenRod

Having dragged these down from the loft where they've been for over 15 years, I've decided to fix the Gold one and sell or swap the red one. So as I fix "GoldenRod" I am prepping "RuffnReddy" for sale. I bought these two at a bicycle shop closing auction for $6 each. Here's Goldie with a...
  17. amecks

Rollfast picked up at a barn sale

Nearby barn sale produced this nicely complete bike. I'm not sure how to procede but I know I want keep the paint. I have a donor bike that can provide nice shiny rims and other chrome parts. Or should I keep the whole thing as found - just make it mechanically good? And I think I want the...
  18. amecks

Goodyear/Columbia and 2 Schwinn 2 Speeds

Can you give me some idea of the values and what my best options are for the Scwinns - fix up, leave alone, customize? I think I might want to keep one Schwinn, sell the other. Neighbor gave me the Goodyear. Bought the other two at auction for $6 each. Thanks. Al. The Goodyear/Columbia is...
  19. amecks

Sold two bikes in two days!

I wish I had started this a month ago - I just sold an ugly pink (but in good shape) Huffy ladies bike for $60 yestyerday. Today I sold a Sears trike for $150. What do you think is a good asking price for a working but unrestored Schwinn Typhoon with a two speed hub? I have two of these...
  20. amecks

Top CatAstrophe - Murray BMX 20"

This is my first build-off and I really enjoyed it. The bike turned out good, everything works, even the speedo seems to be calibrated for 20" wheels. Disappointed that my wife can't ride it with her bad knee. As I said in the build series, I took the streamers off, raised the seat and took...
Back