Search results

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. bunnyman666

Motorised bike fever

Yep- really tempted to sell my soul to the dark side on this OCC build. I have a perfect track stand from my Ducati days since I am without a kick stand. I will likely start with a left-side drive and end up with a jack shaft bike. I will likely use a drill to start my bike. Or not. Who knows...
  2. bunnyman666

Why is my BB cross-threading all on it’s own?!?

My hobby is driving me nuts. I just don’t understand how I ended up cross-threading the BB on my OCC Stingray. Any solutions?
  3. bunnyman666

Who here has pin striped?

I just took the plunge and bought striping paint, a 0 brush and mineral spirits. I know I am supposed to clean the brush AND thin the paint with it. I have masking paint thin enough to mask with; what else do I need?
  4. bunnyman666

I want one of these!

Asian drag racing motorbike:
  5. bunnyman666

Cheap freewheel removal

On a hub for a crummy department store bike comes crunchy ball bearings and an el cheapo freewheel. This el cheapo freewheel only has two detents on the body, no notches for a removal tool. So, what do I do?
  6. bunnyman666

New Huffy BMX

I saw an ad on my Instagram feed. Nothing is over $250. One aluminium framed bike in the offering. My biggest problem with department store bikes was the lack of compatibility with aftermarket parts. That may not be true any longer (I would hope). The descriptions were short on spec, with the...
  7. bunnyman666

Faux Patina Redeux

I have done my due diligence in researching (some google searches returned this VERY forum), and have decided mine will go a different direction. I want a cool and interesting paint job on the OCC Stingray. My thought was to strip it down, paint rust in the crevices, paint a little skull and...
  8. bunnyman666

Just popped for a Schwinn chopper; pix and questions!!!

A lot of you own these or had previously owned one. Is the headset a 1 1/8”? How wide of rear axle spacing? What BB do I need?
  9. bunnyman666

Any experience with said tyre or retailer?

https://www.juicedbikes.com/products/borita-26x4-fat-slick-tires-set-of-2
  10. bunnyman666

Rant: why I have trouble supporting the LBS

Maybe it’s because I am middle-aged, but I really want to support the LBS. However- there are a few wrinkles. 1) cool shop, been around forever, open 3 or 4 days per week, weird hours. 2) bigger shop, better hours, lots of employees, likes selling bikes more than parts. The absolute worst...
  11. bunnyman666

So, who knows disc brakes?

I haven’t set up disc brakes, ever. Since this is a totally new build, I am going by what was spec’d on this frame, which is a 160mm disc. Do I just install the caliper, get a disc and see what needs to happen? Also, any brand recommendations or types of discs to buy? I am running a Tektro...
  12. bunnyman666

Who has made a 1 1/8” steer tube fork work in a 1” head tube?

If anyone has figured it out, they likely reside here. I have another place to use it if it can’t be done.
  13. bunnyman666

Painting clear anodised rims

So, I bought a pair of super cool SE bikes Monster Ripper wheels. Silver was my only colour choice. I am going for a traditional red rim. I bought a paint prep product and a paint/primer product. Would the prep product have any adverse affects on what isn’t going to be painted? I am painting...
  14. bunnyman666

Painting aluminium wheels quick and dirty

My though was to cover the spokes in straws, clean the rims well, mask the braking surface and spray the rims. Any other suggestions?
  15. bunnyman666

Can you powder coat chrome?

I ask as I may gold member out my new project.
  16. bunnyman666

New project: Gossamer the Bike!

Well, decided I needed a fat tyre bike. Thinking 3.5” to keep things simple. This frame uses an English BB, so my carbon cranks will go on nicely. I have an ISIS BB for a road bike, so we should be good. Thinking BMX theme, kinda. The forks may be a bit funky, however... Here is what is coming...
  17. bunnyman666

New Ripper

Yep- still trying to get the brakes right on this bad boy. Bought a super smooth pair of GT race hubs for beans, and it went on from there. Pretty soon, I joined the SE Army!!! Tapered fork, interchangeable axle sizes make this true race bike. I may race to the next bar or pub LOL
  18. bunnyman666

NOS Mongoose Mischief 2007

Found something to do with those mid-school parts. Put a cover on the rear wheel. American BB. Built-on Gyro parts. 1 1/8” press-in headset (So long since I have seen you, Chris King!). Seat tube opening needs straightening (just did it), and there is a flat spot on the BB. I think I can salvage...
  19. bunnyman666

Merits of half-link chains

I am building my Laird, and my tyre choice has me moving to the back part of the dropouts. I cut down the chain and had there been a half-link, I could’ve had it.
  20. bunnyman666

Why are modern BMX freehubs so freakin loud?

They are loud. The questions on Amazon consist of “is this wheel loud?” when it comes to BMX rear wheels. The guy who sold me some hubs said “and this rear hub is super loud!” I used to accept the clicking of the ratchet pawls, but did not seek for them to be loud. The loud pawls are kind of...
Back