Search results

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. K

OGK No.12 axle conversion

No. The coaster brake mechanism is an integral part of the hub. You would have to remove the rear hub and replace it with a coaster brake hub. An advanced task with a traditionally spoked wheel. Impossible with your molded spoke wheel.
  2. K

Get nice edges on rattle can stripes

You can use the same trick to get crisp lines when painting the inside of your house.
  3. K

my bike chain

There are three chain measurements, any of which could be making your chain a poor fit. Width: This is the distance between the plates that make up the chain. Hubs with one cog (single speed, coaster brake, internally geared, and track) use 1/8" wide chain. Hubs with multiple cogs (multi-speed...
  4. K

Need help laying tape for paint!!

If you make markings to follow, lay the tap to their outside as to cover the markings with the second paint color. I just eyeball it. Keeping the tape taught as I lay it seems to help.
  5. K

Need to install rear carrier but missing frame mount

Cut off the old legs from the rack and build some new, longer legs? Build extensions? Put some p-clamps on the seat stays?
  6. K

Gear ratio

The math is just a series of conversions. Sheldon Brown's calculator can help you skip the tedium. http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears/
  7. K

new fork......what to measure???

Install the fork with all the screws finger tight. Slide the legs or crown around (loosen the screw first, so you don't scratch the finish) until you are happy with how the bike sits. Use a marker to draw a line around the legs at the top of the crown. Take the fork apart and cut to your line...
  8. K

Training for a race...tips?

I have not been in a bicycle race before. I have completed a mountainous century. I also recommend short but fast rides. Stretch and warm up, then sprint for a bit. Then slow wayyyy down for a long bit. For every minute you sprint, take it easy for seven minutes. If you feel like crap after...
  9. K

intermission

Robert Johnson's Rambling on My Mind http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUyKnEiv70Y Mike Master Mike having some fun with Rambling http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B3EGIzB_oQ
  10. K

Do you ride your rat rod for serious exercise?

My cruiser was my primary form of transportation for a few months. Somebody rode a century on their single speed Worksman. I rode a century on my rusty 10 speed. There was a guy that would ride laps on his Schwinn cantilever frame around the parking lot in front of the (free) shop where I...
  11. K

Do You lock your bike ?

If it is out of my immediate reach, it gets a lock. If I lost my bike, I'd be walking everywhere.
  12. K

Help with a leaf spring springer fork

The thread of leaf spring forks. http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1014&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=forq
  13. K

FROM 19 DEGREES & SNOW TO....

Looks like Colorado Springs. Snow rarely lasts for more than 72 hours because it warms up to 50-60 storm passes.
  14. K

Pics of rats with downhill mtb forks/triple clamp mtb forks?

I don't think it was ever considered a downhill fork, but the Girvin Pro-Flex looks good on anything techy. Just don't expect it to actually dampen anything.
  15. K

should this bottom bracket be replaced?

So that's the new fangled dry grease my racing friends have been talking about.
  16. K

Which type of wheels

Whichever set looks good?
  17. K

4'' wide rims

I remember seeing people run 26"x3" on 4" rims (cbn?). They used two tubes, and had a wicked low profile. As for spoke length, I can't help without some measurements.
  18. K

Snow tires

If the snow is going to be minimal, I like slick road tires. If there is more than 2 inches, cross tires. If there is ice, studded. If there's more than 6 inches I imagine a pugsley tire would be nice. These folks seem to have plenty of experience with winter cycling...
  19. K

Steam engine

I had a similar idea until I realized that I would be putting a backyard engineered steam engine between my legs.
Back