Search results

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. Wordbiker

Slipstream. Calling this one “done”

Love the use of stem for the seat mount. Have you looked into a SoftRide stem for some suspension action?
  2. Wordbiker

Adult Sting-Ray questions

My apologies on digging up an old thread, but it came up on Google images for a banana seat with a layback seatpost. I'm thinking of adding one to this Cranbrook for my long legs to stretch out a bit more.
  3. Wordbiker

Diamondback Della Cruz

Ugh...parts problems. After placing an order through my shop, waiting for the order to be placed...some of the items were out of stock, including the spokes and cool dropper post. I'll get them in when I can, but I was hoping to get to work on the wheelset. The bottom bracket I ordered was...
  4. Wordbiker

My 41 Ready to ride... on to the next bike

What a great looker!
  5. Wordbiker

Snyder built? Royal Flyer.

I am honestly no expert and no help, but I still want to congratulate you on a wonderful find. It's beautiful and I hope you create some real art with it.
  6. Wordbiker

Grip removal

I use denatured alcohol both for removal and installation, mainly because I always have a spray bottle in the shop for fork rebuilds. Since it's ethyl alcohol, the same as in adult beverages, it's harmless to both the grips and the user, yet cleans the residue off the bars nicely and dries...
  7. Wordbiker

Girvin fork..

Many used a full coil spring shock absorber with hydraulic damping, some used a simple elastomer. There's even an air spring option available through Risse Racing. While performance is subjective, I am of the opinion that these were great forks, but the design limited travel and was surpassed...
  8. Wordbiker

Diamondback Della Cruz

Thanks Luke. Your encouragement means a lot.
  9. Wordbiker

Diamondback Della Cruz

I took a little time today and went over details of the Girvin with my welder friend...and discovered a few things. Going over the dropout relocation we decided that it would be good if it not only welded to the existing dropout, but extended up into the fork where it might also be riveted or...
  10. Wordbiker

█★█ starsNbars █★█ 38 Hawthorne Twin Bar 5 Bar ☠ - Red White and RUST - Tied for 7th Place

Love what you're doing with the Girvin fork! Same one as mine though my spring is black.
  11. Wordbiker

Diamondback Della Cruz

I spent some time this weekend examining the Girvin fork and reading what had been done with them in other's builds. I'm even more convinced that it will work...but may take some real doing. The first step was removing the Noleen shock and collapsing the fork. This allowed me to take a...
  12. Wordbiker

Diamondback Della Cruz

Thanks Luke. I did try swapping them, but it kicks the legs at a funny angle and doesn't solve the bottoming issue I mentioned. I think I'll go with my plan as it seems to solve the aesthetics as well as mechanical issues. It will "ruin" the fork, but hey...I'm making an omelette here. ;)
  13. Wordbiker

Diamondback Della Cruz

Today I swapped forks. My son's bike, the "dumpster bike" because I found it in a rolloff container out in Moab, became the donor of the original OEM Girvin fork I bought for my Indian project back in the day. It was period correct, but I didn't realize at the time that those forks had two...
  14. Wordbiker

Diamondback Della Cruz

Hmmm.... The cantilever mounts would have to go, but if so...it clears the tire for width. These forks are notorious for bottoming on the crown with big tires so I may need to talk to my welder about extending them and perhaps flipping the dropouts forward...
  15. Wordbiker

Diamondback Della Cruz

Me too Luke! Unfortunately we've been having some Colorado Spring weather and that's put off the riding season a bit, which means the shop isn't placing many orders yet. I have the dropper post on queue to be ordered, but it could take a while. After having another discussion with my co-wrench...
  16. Wordbiker

"Chunkpunk" Doneski!

I love steampunk stuff! Looking forward to seeing this build develop. Here's a set of goggles I built for my daughter that I thought you might enjoy.
  17. Wordbiker

Diamondback Della Cruz

Another point that my co-wrench Ant pointed out: A dropper post can be secured with a bolted rather than a quick-release seatpost clamp that can help prevent casual theft. Since I could potentially spend more on a dropper post than the entire bike is worth...I thought it a valid point.
  18. Wordbiker

Diamondback Della Cruz

I got the dynamo hub. Unfortunately it does require an asymmetrical spoke length, but only by about 1mm. I may be able to get away with longer nipples on the shorter side. Also unfortunately I can't find a spoke calculator with the specific hubs and rims I'll be using, so I'll have to do it...
  19. Wordbiker

Diamondback Della Cruz

Ugh. Still no dynamo. I don't recall the specific model I ordered other than it was the cheapest one and it was set up for a roller brake...though I don't need one. Most of them appear to have symmetrical flanges, but I don't know whether it requires some dish. The rear hub is symmetrical in...
Back