Search results

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. Strings_and_steam

Hotrod Hobbyhorse crosses the finish line!

The past few months have been a whirlwind for me. I graduated college in May (BFA Musicology), moved to Glencoe Il in early June, just got engaged to my sweetie a few weeks ago, and will be starting a new job as a Luthier for a private violin workshop next week. My entry has been in Milwaukee...
  2. Strings_and_steam

Hotrod Hobbyhorse 6/26 Not out of the race!

So here's the skinny. I wasn't even going to enter the build off. No sir-ee. I'll be graduating college at the end of the month, I won't really have time this summer to work on a project like this with re-locating, etc., I'm poor and blew my 'yearly bike budget' on the Flying Merkel I just...
  3. Strings_and_steam

The Diamond Frame Flying Merkel

Here's a plethera of pics of my Flying Merkel tribute. The build thread can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=35632 A couple of action shots of me taking it for it's inaugeral 'flight' And I had to get one in the classic 'Maldwyn Jones' pose. For those of you unfamilliar...
  4. Strings_and_steam

Seeking the help of a bender

Hi all- I'm wondering if someone here has the ability to bend me up a set of handlebars? I've been trying to track down a particular style with no luck, and am thinking my options might be limited to having a set made for me. The set would be a reproduction of the style on early Flying Merkel...
  5. Strings_and_steam

Invisible Children 25 Campaign

Hey guys and gals- I don't know if any of you are familliar with the orginization Invisible Children. They are an organization that works to raise awareness and help children in Africa that are affected by war and poverty. I'll post the link to their website here, it explains them better than...
  6. Strings_and_steam

The 'Steam' side of Strings_and_steam

Hey all- I thought I'd post up a link to my gallery (blog thing) here. One of my other hobbies is steampunk, and Ive made a number of things over the years. Lately I've been taking pictures of parts on my desk, and my keyboard has been spotted/shamelessly used as a stand :oops: I've gotten a...
  7. Strings_and_steam

A difficult thing to say

So perhaps its very strange to post this here. I dont exactly know why I am. I guess that over the past few months or so I have come to think of this place as a community that I belong to. I still feel like an outsider in a lot of reguards, but somehow it just feels like maybe I 'belong' here...
  8. Strings_and_steam

Anybody have handlebars like this?

Ive been trying to find some bars like this to no avail. I would have thought something 'simple' like this wouldn't be so crazy to find? This is the shape Im looking for, but I can't even begin to approach the price tag: http://www.ultrarob.com/shop/product/Ni ... 617AA.html Anyone found...
  9. Strings_and_steam

Rusty/Patina Bicycle Gallery

Hey all- So I was talking with a friend about rat rod bikes, and about the beauty of a rusty bike. For me, I enjoy a shiny and new piece of craftsmanship, but an old bike covered in rust and patina... there's just something about it the romantic in me is drawn to. But anyway, I was searching...
  10. Strings_and_steam

3 piece crank disassembly help!

So if a guy, say, wanted to, say, take the 3 piece cranks off of a bike he was working on, what would be the way that he, the guy, should do it? He's frusterated and hasn't got a clue, but any direction (and pictures!) anyone could contribute would certainly be of assistance. ...To this guy...
  11. Strings_and_steam

Diamond Frame Flying Merkel DONE!

So.... I've always admired the asthetic of the Flying Merkel boardtrackers, and living in Milwaukee adds to the attraction. Building a replica has been floatign around in my mind for some time now, and I finally decided to buckle down and do it. I don't have a lot of moolah, and I will be...
  12. Strings_and_steam

ebay bicycle engine dimensions

Hello intrepid gals and guys who pedal those magnificent wheeled wonders- I've been thinking of doing a motorized bike for some time now, but before I take the plunge and 'splurge' on an engine kit (Id be using one of these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT) I had a few...
  13. Strings_and_steam

The Sheboygan Swinger

So I pulled out my camera this weekend when I was home and snapped a few pics of my swingbike. And just as I was starting to shoot...it started to rain :x So my landscape ideas went out the window, but here's one that turned out. Pardon the punkins, if nothing else it's certainly...
  14. Strings_and_steam

3 speed hub gearing question

So I've always thought it would be cool to do a bike with an internal geared hub. But having never ridden a bicycle with one of these, I have no feel for what they're like when biking. So I'm wondering what the gear ratios are like in a 3 speed hub, like what's 'high gear', 'low gear' and the...
  15. Strings_and_steam

The Blue Brit and custom lucky 7

Hey all- I've been wanting to get a laid back seat post made for the Phillips bike I have (my daily rider to and from college), but have no access to welding equipment. I'd really like to have the 'lucky 7' style with a bit of a brace fitted, sort of like this shape: (pardon the rough drawing...
  16. Strings_and_steam

Strings_and_steam, aka better late than never

Hello all- I have been around here since last May, and while browsing today realized I never properly introduced myself. I'm a music history major (specializing in Irish music and the Gaelic language) in Milwaukee Wisconsin, and a luthier (string instrument maker/restorer). I also do a lot of...
  17. Strings_and_steam

The Wormwood Limited

Hello all- After a lot of work yesterday afternoon, and some tough decisions, here is my finished bike. I had to forgo my 'secret weapons' for this build as I simply ran out of money (and time to be honest) to get them finished the right way, and didn't just want to 'half rat' them. I learned...
  18. Strings_and_steam

The Wormwood Limited 7/31 'pin striping' and rolling frame

Thought I'd throw in a late entry. This is my first RRBO build, and I must confess, my first bike build in general besided the Swing King I worked on. I've been wanting to enter a bike, but had no leads on a frame or anything much else until I found this over the weekend. I believe it's a...
  19. Strings_and_steam

Swing King...

Hello- I've lurked around here for a while, and finally decided to make an account. So hi, I'm the newbie :wink: I thought I'd start out with posting a few pics of my current project bike, and really my first expierence with bike projects. I'm a violin repairer (luthier), ethnomusicology...
Back