Search results

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. S

The Amsterback

Re: The Amsterback - Need tire advice I feel ya on the funds, I'm running the same tires, not too bad, mine are the standard cruiser diamond tread pattern with a good amount of rubber, they also come in a brick tread pattern. I cruise around town and dirt trails with them and I have no...
  2. S

Quality side-pull caliper brakes/stopping power

No, I didn't since they were mismatched and pretty worn when I got the bike, they did work well though! but that was with using a more rigid cheapie flat plate steel cailper. I have a bunch of new, old style slotted shorty red and black pads I could try, but I wouldn't think they'd be better...
  3. S

Just curious as to what makes the bulldogs or Odysseys better than others? Is it the quality of components, rigidity of the alloys used in the calipers or combination of both? Is seems like the side pull design is pretty much the same, except for a few higher end styles that look pretty futuristic!
  4. S

PM sent for the oddysey's
  5. S

So I recently got a bike trailer to pull my daughter around in, and I would like to get some more stopping power from my brakes, I have brand new Taiwanese made ones on now, and I'm using V-pull brake pads, but they brake a bit soft with more of a slow rolling stop, the cheapie ones that were...
  6. S

why are my wheels ticking???

x2 for bearings, same will happen in your vehicle. I had nice clunk this morning on a ride, with every rotation of the crank I'd get a nice solid CLUNK! felt like bottom bracket for sure, I was especially wary since I had just got done repacking all the bearings on the bike earlier this week...
  7. S

79 mostly Schwinn cruiser

Oh yes, having 3 speeds is very nice, especialy since I live up on a long incline in the foothills, leaving my house is always fast and fun, coming back home is not so fun. the cable positioning is temporary until I figure out how I want to route them, I'm only using 3 loose zip ties right now...
  8. S

finally got some parts in, new bell crank, shifter and push rod for the 3 speed hub, got that working, new front caliper brakes, some old BMX brake levers, V-pull brake pads, new tires, new grips and new seat. Not sure if i like the tires yet, I think I'm just not used to them. Touched up the...
  9. S

How do YOU route your cables?

Thruough the tank looks pretty clean, wish I had a tank! I think I might try the down tube and the BB and see how that works
  10. S

How do YOU route your cables?

Just looking for ideas on how to route my cables in the most unobtrusive way, barring in-frame, I'm working with a cruiser frame which I've always liked the lines of and have a 3 speed, front and rear cables im working to route, I have a temporary setup I'm not liking too much, anyways, post...
  11. S

3 speed hub questions

Got the parts in, and started looking for installation instructions and all avenues pointed towards shimano's PDF files, which looked very daunting and didn't say much about installing my version which is the Nexus inter3 SG-3R40 without drum brake, just freewheel, most files were exploded view...
  12. S

FAIL! (rear brake issue) -- Update 5/17 - Now with pics!

That it does! But it wouldn't hurt having a carbide bit around for future projects, I'd rather spend the dough on a bit than pay a shop for the same service and no bit
  13. S

I got the shifter, cable and gripshift today in the mail, im still waiting for the shift rod which was ordered on the same day, but didn't arrive. I also have front brake, tires, seat and grips coming I was really hoping they'd have arrived this weekend, but no luck, I did receive my rear brake...
  14. S

Using a variable speed electric drill, and after 2 bits I checked to see if it was in reverse, I thought for sure that would be the problem with the amount of progress I was making
  15. S

I'm still very interested in finishing the original setup, so you think a carbide bit with a hand drill would work? How much are we talkin? And I did use some oil to no avail
  16. S

Count me in (Black American)

There's more detailed pics and my first plan on an adapter here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=26692
  17. S

As I got it cheap, from a garage sale. serial broke down to a 79 Schwinn, don't know the model, it's been parted and pieced together by previous owner. It also came with a thick and heavy bad black paint job :( painted over a previous bad paint job, also painted over nuts and bolts, headset...
  18. S

Re: FAIL! (rear brake issue) finally some pics to go with the thread the steel plate for original adapter idea cut the 2 plates the hardware to bolt it together now all I had to do is drill the holes I went through 3 drill bits, and actually melted the tip off a dremel cutting bit that...
  19. S

Re: FAIL! (rear brake issue) i'm using a hand drill :(
  20. S

Count me in (Black American)

heres the one I made, thanks again for the sweet idea and the bike
Back