Search results

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. Whitfield

Columbia 5 Star Superb (Is it real or a RX-5 Reproduction)

Columbia 5 Star Superb (Is it real or a 1980's RX-5 Reproduction) A Kindergarten teacher friend pulled this Columbia out from under her crawl space shortly after they moved in. Her and her husband have been patiently storing it in their shed. While helping them search for a Girls cruiser for...
  2. Whitfield

SOLD 1987 ROSS Piranha Freestyle $125

Sold ~ Let me know if best to delete or if you guys leave them up marked sold as a tool for reference.
  3. Whitfield

Thanks guys ~ Local sale pending for 5:30 PM today.
  4. Whitfield

1987 Ross Piranha Freestyle, All original garage kept survivor. Asking $125 + Shipping Colonial Heights, Virginia 23834 See http://s9.photobucket.com/user/whitfimb/library/Ross%20Piranah?sort=2&page=1 for the full photo album ~ 37 Pictures.
  5. Whitfield

ANOTHER KING STING

Looking good ~ I'm glad it has found a warm dry place to hang out. I found the balance between enjoying it and saving it difficult. My casual rides always turn into something more, so rarely did the bike see the light of day. As my MTB racing progresses room for bikes becomes a more precious...
  6. Whitfield

Freddy's fresh finds

Unless your family's bike business was that of a ROSS dealer in the 70's - 80's and you were early elementary school drooling over new BMX bikes... to me this bike was the norm. Nice Score!!!
  7. Whitfield

Atkins Safari and something called a King Sting?

King Sting ride ~ found what I believe to be a period correct Avocet Racing saddle. (which I obviously didn't tighten enough). Turned out smooth ~ lots of fun to ride. I wish the pictures were better but thought i'd share what I have. (Pictured with my wife's late model full suspension bike)
  8. Whitfield

Yamaha QT 50 "Noped" project

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/592687 ... pw50-2001/
  9. Whitfield

Fill the crank case with marval mystery oil and turn the crank. It needs to be ultra smooth ~ Those bearings are only oiled by the gas and oil that the engine burns. Cranks case seals are the life of the motor. New crank case seals are a step you will never regret on an older repair. AS the...
  10. Whitfield

If you carry the piston / Rings / Cyl to your friend at church who works at the MC shop. He can give you a hands on once over on the finer point of what to do / what to look for. Most of these folks enjoy sharing there knowledge and passing it on ~ especially when it doesn't involve getting...
  11. Whitfield

Next step is remove a wrist pin wire C-clip from one side, Remove the wrist pin, piston and wrist pin bearing. Then CAREFULLY remove the rings. Clean the piston / Clean the rings. Clean the cylinder as best you can, Kerosene and a dark red 3-m scotch brite pad work well. Some guys tape a...
  12. Whitfield

Link to roll your own lighting coil on a CDI bike. While the XR100 is no QT 50 ~ there are many electrical similarities with the PW-50 http://home.comcast.net/~pgailunas/stator.html I noticed in the parts manual it says the pw50 has a lighting coil... So looks like lighting power is already...
  13. Whitfield

Re: Yamaha QT 50 You don't have to ... The PW 50 does not run a battery and the charge / lighting coil is not in play (But most likely ~ with mass production it is still there). Wire it up and run a stock Yamaha regulator AC or Rectifier Regulator battery DC and you are good to go. Many of...
  14. Whitfield

Should be just springs and plastic guides ~ like the Honda 50. I don't think they used any damping ~ certainly not pressurized. About any modern MTB fork would be a huge upgrade. PW 50 ~ Hmmm Those parts are fairly easy to find. PW 50 CDi ignition upgrade? Some of the China bikes /...
  15. Whitfield

Hold off on buying engine parts ~ I've yet to see anything not salvageable. Of-course a screaming deal on a runner would be ok. Expansion chambers and exhaust port height are tuned (Much like a cam) to make power at a certain RPM. A missmatched combo could make less power. Get it running...
  16. Whitfield

Nice!!!! You should braze in a surgically removed down tube for the top tube ~ thin & light. I like the style ~ oil injection usually mixes it thinner. I guess you can refer to the forums but most dirt bikes were 32:1 ratio. Outboards were 50:1 and Amsoil says you can mix their oil 100:1...
  17. Whitfield

No harm to the decals. Best I can describe it is that the acid chemically does what you would normally do with steel wool but with out scratching up the chrome. You must clean / treat polish and protect the chrome imediatly after the bath or it will begin to oxidze again just like with steel...
  18. Whitfield

My pix skills stink ~ Maybe I can get Yoothgeye the Photog to snap a few good ones at christmas time.
  19. Whitfield

Oxcylic acid bath (24 hrs) / Never Dull polish / Nu finish wax. (Oxcylic Axid powder is wood bleach $7 @ Ace hard ware) Taking pics of chrome parts is more difficult then cleaning them. Fork before Aftetr bars before after
Back