ᕲᗩᗩᗩᘉᘜᘿᖇ ᖇᓰᕲᘿ

Jul 10, 2018
NY
Had a scary crazy idea. Slow the hyper steering with a brake lever connected to a brake applied to the steering tube from below. I learned a bike can't be ridden with locked steering.

Didn't call it Daaanger Ride for nothing

Apr 18, 2015
central ohio
how'd you get in my head?! That's exactly what I was thinking!
Based on how I built my fork, a small band brake was the only thing I could think of.

Using a system like that would be cool, it might even work. But it would be a bit like riding the clutch on a motorcycle I think.

Reactions: hamppea
Jul 10, 2018
NY
Based on how I built my fork, a small band brake was the only thing I could think of.

Using a system like that would be cool, it might even work. But it would be a bit like riding the clutch on a motorcycle I think.
I totally get you!

Main challenges are acceleration from a stop and holding it together at speed.
I'm thinking a spring or damper, and also a lever that affects turn radius so the wheel can only move several degrees either side when the lever is pulled all the way for example. There has to be some movement, even during leaning. A braking/clutch mechanism must not be allowed to lock the steering tube.

Last edited:
Reactions: Falstaff

Captain Awesome

Lord of Irrelevance
Pro Member
Aug 9, 2012
Sunny SC coast
Need to start looking into stabilizers and the physics involved. Will come in handy for future projects. Never really needed to know more than the basics. Back to school.

View attachment 140887
I've used the piston style stabilizers on my race bikes for years. They work awesome. Even a cheap ebay model that might not be great on a motorcycle at 150mph should have more than enough damping for a bicycle

Jul 10, 2018
NY
I've used the piston style stabilizers on my race bikes for years. They work awesome. Even a cheap ebay model that might not be great on a motorcycle at 150mph should have more than enough damping for a bicycle
Going to get something cheap on ebay to play with. There's no magic to undo negative trail. It's far more manageable with the bars up higher. What scares me is losing control going fast which is why I'm also looking at ways to limit steering...might not have to though with a damper...

Reactions: Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Lord of Irrelevance
Pro Member
Aug 9, 2012
Sunny SC coast
With the right length damper setup in the proper location it becomes a steering stop for you

Sep 14, 2013
Bradley Illinoiz
www.instagram.com
I've ridden sketchy bikes.
There's a learning curve and then it's easy.
I like it.

Carl.

Jul 10, 2018
NY
Always love a good long tubed chopper. Sweet build!
Thanks man. It will be stable enough to reach 20+mph in the ride video on a frozen lake with studded tires. I ride the lakes every year.
I consider myself an experienced top fueler drag fork rider. I probably have more miles on my set than anyone else.

Rode this last year.
Winter_wedge1.jpg

I've ridden sketchy bikes.
There's a learning curve and then it's easy.
I like it.

Carl.
Thanks, Your guitar bike one of my all time favorites. I like your bikes because you meant for them to be shown and ridden. You're a talented artist.

Now this is cool!
GuitarlCarl's Bikes -N- Stuffs.jpg

Jul 10, 2018
NY
Super cool build you got going here Hampea. You make riding that top fuel fork look easy.
Not gonna lie, almost quit within 30 feet! Got fun all over again by the time I reached the lot to make the video:happy:
Position is paramount when ride these things. Took me a while to figure it out. Reducing radial mass helps. Made a lightweight front wheel specifically for the fork. Holding up higher is slightly less manageable. Low near the steering axis is hardest to control.

I think an attempt to slow the steering manually is faulty. I'm going to try anyway. I'm convinced stabilizers are the way to go. I since learned there are electronic stabilizers tied to the vehicle's speed.

What I care about having is a cool bike period. Lack of brakes and hyper steering is the thrilling part, especially in traffic. I say a prayer every time I enter a busy intersection. Need a black belt lane splitting.

Members online

The Bike Wall BOXKARS Clyde James Cycles