ᕲᗩᗩᗩᘉᘜᘿᖇ ᖇᓰᕲᘿ

Jul 10, 2018
NY
The streeing wheel angle = 20-25 degrees, matches the fork legs. Either a top plate with a 25° kick and reinforced sides, or a scratch billet ahead is possible. Neither of which I can make atm. For the time being I'm gonna finish my improvised stem and make the bike rideable to focus on stabilizing handling.
The hold is almost right.
Space over the steering tube can support a large dial.
Never seen anything like it. Crazy cool.
IMG02.jpg

img side.jpg

Goal: Make a clean wheel mount. Mustn't look makeshift.Top plate width/length MAX would be around 4.9 x 9''. At that length standard top plates will flex without support. Use smaller plates welded together to form hard bends for thick plates.
Suggestions are always welcome.

Side plate mounting. The concept is an 'open center' design eliminating the stem head which fills the side view areas to make the wheel appear more attached, less like it's floating in space.
sideplatey.jpg

Adjustable, non-locked example.
adjustable.jpg

=========================================
Top Plate Mounting:
1)Force on the top race nut should be equal with the load transferred through the top plate directly.
2̶)̶S̶t̶r̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶t̶e̶e̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶u̶b̶e̶ ̶w̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶q̶u̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶a̶b̶s̶e̶n̶t̶>̶>̶?̶
3)Stress at the steerer area between the top nut and top race with the load directly at the top plate>>>>?
Inserting an 'unused' stem will not fully relieve stress as it designed to do by distributing force along areas of the steering tube>.

10/24 morning analysis:
Top plate wheel mount made to connect to a stem lowering steering tube stress around the top race nut race>>?
Worst case> Steering tube fractures, stem retains top plate from fully detaching.
Conclusion> Combination stem & top plate steering wheel mount :)

10/24 Noon
Simply configuring the 2 stems by flipping one allowed the use of a quill adapter. Aesthetically more pleasing as well. Strong/safe. Like it much better!

Wheel all DOWN
down.jpg

Wheel all UP
up.jpg

Lunch time....

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2018
NY
Finished the stem tonight. Works like a charm. Super solid! First time ever making one like it.

I drilled a larger hole through one side of each Ahead. Had to grind down the head of one bolt to load it. I use Dykem layout fluid to find high spots. I should of used a piece of 1'' tube between the two heads, but it's fine for testing. I'll smooth & polish it all out later... add something cool in there.
Putting a rider together tom for testing. The extra weight of the heavy alloy wheel does affect steering. I can easily detect a slower response with the wheel on. Probably not enough to do much. Handling shouldn't be worse.

Dykem.jpg

IMG_20201024_172803.jpg

IMG2.jpg

maker.jpg

IMG000.jpg

finish.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2018
NY
Reality check> I gotta ride this thing 40 miles an it won't be comfortable very low. Went as low as I could. More muscle bike looking now. Loads of potential! Thew a bunch of seats and sissy bars on it. The seat I keep in the bathroom with a short bar works okay for the time being.
The wheel feels so much nicer higher. Will also improve stability.
1.jpg

2.jpg

Jul 10, 2018
NY
Sounds like you're making progress @hamppea! Yeah, I liked the lower seat too, but I think this will work just fine, especially if it's more rideable.
The build is definitely taking shape. I can already see other ways of mounting the wheel. I prefer not to have a stem in the middle because it blocks the view of the front wheel while ridding, an aspect I enjoy. The shaft looks kind of nice parallel with the fork legs. The wheel angle is perfect! Sitting on it and taking hold is like nothing I've experienced before. It feels cool!
It's still naked... The tail end can be improved. The plain sissy bar is ok for now. I sit upright so a tall bar isn't really necessary. A suspension would work here because it's not a bike that can be ridden out of the saddle. Seating needs to be comfy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bike from the Dead
Jul 16, 2019
America's Friendly Hat
Man, I can't wrap my brain around the steering angles you have there. I hope you post a ride video of that setup. Or even a video of you sitting on it, moving the bar through its range. Wanna see how it all works with your stem device putting the steering axis that far ahead of the fork shaft which is ahead of the steering tube. Super cool, trying to figure out how "Danger" you are riding

Reactions: Bike from the Dead
Jul 10, 2018
NY
Got an image of the 2 of ya'll:21: Don't wanna ever see your faces, might spoil it. Keep your masks on... please.

@MattiThundrrr of course there will be ride videos. The ride needs to be equally gratifying.
I can wheelie easier with a higher placement. That was a concern down low because being able to accomplish wheelies with a fueler fork is actually crucial in an emergency. All I have to do is pull a wheelie to get out of a 'turbulent' situation :wink1:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Captain Awesome
Jul 10, 2018
NY
More muscle bike looking than before:heart:
00.jpg

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

Going with a low sissy bar so I can get over it easier... Killed my back this morning so no ride :blackeye:
Have an urge to remove the rubber coating and high polish the entire wheel. Working on bettering the stem aesthetics. Hardly much flex, turned out perfect for getting a feel. The protruding shaft looks kinda cool. Thinking of paint schemes along the way while I recover. Chickened out a bit on the chainguard but it does look fitting. Shows off the 415 chain. Went back to the 6 1/2'' crank. The base bike is pretty much done.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
JMA
sun1.jpg penguin.jpg lav.jpg w-r.jpg
oj.jpg

3D tank parts:
Schwinn Fastback C frame dimensions =>
TIG.jpg

Mischief Night 10/30

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2018
NY
I'd say put that steering wheel shaft to good use - hang the frontlamp from it (play with lamp holder position and orientation) or simply add a second one to the existing one.
Good idea, that will work. The stem is plenty solid for regular riding but the shaft flexes slightly extended all the way being a thin wall post. Ideally the stem should be made from billet and the shaft much thicker, or even solid alloy. More weight seems to slows steering down.
Really like the idea of having the shaft height easily adjustable. The angle can remain the same.
I hung another handlebar between the two aheads...looked nuts! Have enough trouble maneuvering it out of my building as it is.

First ride with wheel all way down was too low for me as I suspected. The seating needs to be higher along with the wheel and more forward. That will make it easier to wheelie/handle. Still have to include a stabilizer. Picked a more challenging lot with a slope for run 2. The bike handles like it ought to. The wheel works great!:happy: Flew down the hill getting back no problems. Very little seat time as well. Can already tell it's going to be a keeper.
Excuse the quality. A chilly yet sunny day with very low tire pressures. Thought I got a flat at one point. The sprocket guard noise kinda bugs me tho.
1st gear for steep hills, 2nd (direct drive, in the video) for acceleration. 3rd will be the primary. Still sticking with the SA S3C coaster hub :crazy:

l1.jpgh3.jpgh1.jpgh2.jpg

Got a couple of :thumbsup:'s on the way to the spot. Can't get far without being noticed.
My back's still hurtin'. Fun of riding did make the pain go away for a bit.
30419-2-happy-halloween-text.jpg

R.I.P Sean Connery. I enjoy his Bond films, especially Goldfinger along with many of his other works...
Watching The Untouchables tonight.
the-untouchables-1200-1200-675-675-crop-000000.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2019
Good idea, that will work. The stem is plenty solid for regular riding but the shaft flexes slightly extended all the way being a thin wall post. Ideally the stem should be made from billet and the shaft much thicker, or even solid alloy. More weight seems to slows steering down.
Really like the idea of having the shaft height easily adjustable. The angle can remain the same.
I hung another handlebar between the two aheads...looked nuts! Have enough trouble maneuvering it out of my building as it is.

First ride with wheel all way down was too for me as I suspected. The seating needs to be higher along with the wheel and more forward. That will make it easier to wheelie/handle. Still have to include a stabilizer. Picked a more challenging lot with a slope for run 2. The bike handles like it ought to. The wheel works great!:happy: Flew down the hill getting back no problems. Very little seat time as well. Can already tell it's going to be a keeper.
Excuse the quality. A chilly yet sunny day with very low tire pressures. Thought I got a flat at one point. The sprocket guard noise kinda bugs me tho.

View attachment 143033View attachment 143036View attachment 143034View attachment 143035

Got a couple of :thumbsup:'s on the way to the spot. Can't get far without being noticed.
My back's still hurtin'. Fun of riding did make the pain go away for a bit.
Epic!!!!

Reactions: hamppea