BO15 ‘MeriCruiser

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've used stickers as paint masks before too. Usually works well. Good luck with your parts.

"Expect it to be a red-blooded salute to lethargy, .... "

That may be the best metaphor I've ever heard for a Ratrod Bike.

First layer of paint down:

77A3492D-2A48-4E1E-ABBE-BE5F169F150F.jpeg

Masking for second layer:

8535DD3F-C701-443B-9A3F-001F2C26FBDA.jpeg

Second layer sprayed:

CFC22D00-EE4B-41B6-88E7-AEF601E258EE.jpeg

After unmasking:

38E38957-D932-4568-A1DA-F1BCEBA7E0B2.jpeg
D8A088A1-FDC1-42CC-88CB-22F965991AA8.jpeg
4AB75A62-5A0D-4867-965B-D2D3A7926A15.jpeg

Not exactly sure what I’m doing until I do it, but it appears to be working. Hate to give away details before they’re done, but the idea is to have a weathered look two tone paint job with a “reveal” of a flag-type design underneath. That’s why I’m not too worried about masking defects and such. Most of this is going to get covered up eventually.

The stickers worked ok for a mask, except that they ended up being several layers, and left a lot of their “metallic” layer behind when I peeled them up, which I had to clean off afterwards. I would probably seek out something different next time.

From the been there done that (incorrectly) files, don't cover too much of your flag graphics. With a small area such as tubing, it's easy to lose the original concept.

I love your design so far!

Last edited:
Sorry I missed the awesome flag stripes before the 4th!!! What a killer effect. Your hidden flag idea with the paint is gonna be fun to watch!
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!

Brilliant paint job!!

Added a 3 piece crank conversion kit today (yes, I know it’s backwards, it has since been fixed).
0DF4733E-D606-4AAA-8FAE-7977A99BA839.jpeg

Went out to the shop and grabbed a pile o parts and decided to throw them at the bike and see what sticks:
C147F309-4B45-4BFA-A440-BCA2BB49FC7A.jpeg

Surprisingly, I kinda like almost everything. Not sure about the crankset, but we’ll see. This is just a mock-up, thought I had the right adapter to run a threadless stem, but the one I have doesn’t fit. I’ll figure something out. Same thing with the seat post, don’t have what I want in the size I need, but now I know what I need.
59CA6807-F73B-42E5-8CDF-B31D294363FC.jpeg

I was planning on making a tank for this bike, but I’m kind of digging the paint too much to cover it up. May just keep it simple this time. Thinking it needs a billet chainring and cranks to match everything else too.
AEA66D38-7E62-4473-BDBA-25FE5A1863AC.jpeg

Not much of an update, but I finally got the old logos off and the frame prepped for the first stage of paint:

View attachment 127103

These stickers are just for paint masks, they’re not going to stay on there:

View attachment 127105

View attachment 127104

I’ve got some vacation time coming up, so hopefully I’ll make some more progress.

If I do another build off bike I need to make a point of securing parts further in advance. Seems like every time I get a cool idea it either doesn’t exist, or it’s sold out. Still a lot of time in this build but it seems like I always end up changing the order of operations waiting for parts.
I kinda dig the white only with the stars, very Evel Knievel haha.

Last edited:
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!

So here’s a little update. This might disappoint a few people, but I’m nearing completion on this build-off. I know I was throwing some different ideas out there, but after I got the paint on I decided I liked it too much to keep adding stuff to it and I have decided to go more traditional.

Here’s where I’m at right now:

2CD77B20-79B5-4092-A224-3A8B89F1E9DA.jpeg

Some changes you may have noticed; I liked the SE stuff, but it bothered me too much that the colors were so far off from the paint, so I swapped the seat for a metallic blue Primo I’ve had hanging around, and I found some old cherry red Wald grips that I really like the look of:
E3DD934B-F954-40C0-91B2-C5836B405497.jpeg
5997787B-B8F7-4E2C-A2AE-BE15049F0124.jpeg

I also wasn’t feeling the white chain ring, so I went a little more traditional as well:
9ED1664A-8CA3-4C02-BACB-CB49AB87EECF.jpeg

I also swapped the black bars for chrome, and added a star pad that fits with the rest of the bike. Just need to maybe get a new chain and tighten a few things and it should be ready to ride. Better pictures coming this week!

That seat is so perfect for this!!!

So here’s a little update. This might disappoint a few people, but I’m nearing completion on this build-off. I know I was throwing some different ideas out there, but after I got the paint on I decided I liked it too much to keep adding stuff to it and I have decided to go more traditional.

Here’s where I’m at right now:

View attachment 133823

Some changes you may have noticed; I liked the SE stuff, but it bothered me too much that the colors were so far off from the paint, so I swapped the seat for a metallic blue Primo I’ve had hanging around, and I found some old cherry red Wald grips that I really like the look of:
View attachment 133824View attachment 133826

I also wasn’t feeling the white chain ring, so I went a little more traditional as well:
View attachment 133827

I also swapped the black bars for chrome, and added a star pad that fits with the rest of the bike. Just need to maybe get a new chain and tighten a few things and it should be ready to ride. Better pictures coming this week!
Looks great!

Latest posts

Back