“Amore a Prima Vista”

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found my wheelset today. They should clean up nicely.
a0159a01ba50b82d53d8625c19f234f0.jpg
8ad89c1edfee6cd2b965b4aa758f4a6c.jpg
92e09b4edf45ed1b9060f92767c38e6d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perfect wheel set for this classic build. Your paint is vintage cool for sure! I hope you have a beret set aside for riding gear.....Rat sur, bon ami!

Perfect wheel set for this classic build. Your paint is vintage cool for sure! I hope you have a beret set aside for riding gear.....Rat sur, bon ami!

+1

Troy, did it darken sections of the fork and not others? Or strip off the chrome?

Troy, did it darken sections of the fork and not others? Or strip off the chrome?

It took the brightness right out of it. Looked like a tarnished old furnace duct. Picture gloss coat over gray primer. I also discovered the painter’s tape I used to tape off the lugs did somewhat the same thing after I sprayed the frame colour. Looks like they will need a re-spray as well.
Live and learn I say...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“I should clear coat the chrome paint on the fork to protect it a little more”...

I did the same thing to the bike in my avatar. The chrome paint said it would rust if left outside, so I thought I would protect it. I decided to call it “Smokey Silver” and live with it. GL.

I knew I shouldn’t have used 2 different types and manufacturers of paint. Still plenty of time to fix. Worst case scenario is to paint it gold to match the head tube.

Alot of the time when I have these painting issues I use a rattle can "Adhesion Promoter" It seams to neutralize a surface between layers, its not a fail safe but has made for a smoother painting process. My blazer has a wide ridiculous assortment of different paints, I did this paint job about 7 years ago, and Is still holding up well, and I used ALOT of spray can adhesion promoter ......
18664191_10158743433375597_5899068286587685914_n.jpg

The green Is Nason single stage....
The white is PPG Base coat......
The Orange & Purple are Krylon spray can.....
the Blue, Pink & all the shadows and highlights are water based air brush....
Finally clear coated everything with that cheap no mix clear that auto zone sells by the quart...
Kept it free of wax and grease threw the process and used adhesion promoter before any layer of color, with the bad luck I have had with paint reactions, Im still shocked this worked lol and I think the adhesion promoter had alot to do with it, and at the end of the day......This paint job cost me about 300 bucks!!

Good Luck!! Im enjoying the build!!

Latest posts

Back