• BAD NEWS • 1953 Western Flyer Newsboy Special

Jun 16, 2008
Kansas City, MO
Long-time member, first-time builder. I picked this bike up at a local auction last fall and have been gathering parts for RRBO8 ever since. I'm stoked to finally get going with the build!

As she sits:

Happy building, ladies and gents!

Jul 22, 2009
Carmichael, CA
Newsboy Special!! I happen to know first hand that it can be at least the 8th coolest bike in the build off.. :wink: I will surely be following this build!

Jun 16, 2008
Kansas City, MO
The Renaissance Man said:
Just did it too.

Still, it's a very cool play on words for the name! I like it!
What's really sad is I saw it out of the corner of my eye earlier and did the same thing. :roll: Hopefully the finished build will clear up any misconceptions. I like the name too much to change it now!

Sep 5, 2012
I like it! I've got a buddy that's been looking for a frame like that...
Can't wait to see what you do to it.

kingfish254

CHECK OUT MY SALE THREAD FOR COOL STUFF!
Pro Member
Aug 31, 2009
Historic Savannah
www.ratrodbikes.com
nateyboy said:
The Renaissance Man said:
Just did it too.

Still, it's a very cool play on words for the name! I like it!
What's really sad is I saw it out of the corner of my eye earlier and did the same thing. :roll: Hopefully the finished build will clear up any misconceptions. I like the name too much to change it now!
Leave it, it will drive more people to see you cool build.

Jun 16, 2008
Kansas City, MO
• BAD NEWS • 1953 Western Flyer Newsboy Special 5/5/13

As mentioned, I've been thinking about this build for a while now and collecting parts accordingly. I'm basically going to try to meld a bunch of stuff that I think is cool from a bunch of different bikes and hope the end result is something swell, and not...this:

Some highlights from the parts stash:

EvanAction Springer (thanks Yeshoney)

Fatty fat fat Firestone Fenders (thanks...someone. I've had them a while).

And of course, the Firebolt tank (thanks Kingfish)

The original parts came off surprisingly easy and I started the mock up with the aforementioned parts. Me likey.

Wheels and tires are next. I've got more parts up my sleeve, but they'll have to wait until the next update. :wink: