█★█ starsNbars █★█ 38 Hawthorne Twin Bar 5 Bar ☠ - Red White and RUST - Tied for 7th Place

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was hoping you would add some internal support inside, did look a bit light duty...

Luke.

Speak up if you think there may be problems. Especially on the mechanical side!! Part of what I enjoy about the build offs is having other eyes looking in offering opinions or pointing out things I overlooked. Of course, I haven't had time to really do much on this build yet or show much in the way of details. Luckily we still have 2+ months to finish.

I'm still unclear what they are attaching to to give any real input

I plan to use the same type of tape that I have been using on the cardboard mock ups. :D

Thanks kingfish, I've been looking for something just like that but our Home Depot people are idiots and they couldn't find the lumber department if they were standing in the lumber department. Trust me, it actually happened.
try a True Value Hardware store.

Don't be offended but I think the garden looks great, the bike look'n pretty cool to. I like the BOA'S.

Don't be offended but I think the garden looks great, the bike look'n pretty cool to. I like the BOA'S.

Queenfish LOVES this comment and says thank you.
index.php

Found a solution for my fork and probably a slight change in the design.
Picked up a length of Superstrut half channel today. My current thinking is to replace the girvin fork legs with sections of the superstrut and then use the edge from another piece to form the curved arch on the trailing edge. Depending on how this works out, I may or may not use the shelving metal that I have. I think that I am gonna scrap the sammich design.

images

Should be much stronger. I was wondering about the integrity of that thin sheet metal anyway.

...Oh and 'Superstrut' sounds much cooler than 'Sammich'. Bonus!:thumbsup:

I know. I have been in a builders block funk for the past couple of weeks noodling on this fork. It would have liked cool, but looks don't get you down the street or over curbs.
So break out the Don Cornelius wigs and crank up some Souuuuuuuuul Train, cuz Superstrut is coming.

I really need to find some replacement 1/2 reflectors for the green ones. 2 White and 2 Blue would be cool or 3 Blue or 3 White. Anyone know where to get 1/2 reflectors at?

View attachment 2798

You might check at your local truck stop. Guys that own and drive their own big rigs like to trick them out in all sorts of ways. Seems to me that I have seen some at my local truckstop (but then again that is I-80 truck stop in Walcott - THE WORLDS LARGEST TRUCKSTOP- so they a good variety)

Last edited:
...Oh and 'Superstrut' sounds much cooler than 'Sammich'. Bonus!:thumbsup:

I agree that your Plan B should be a lot stronger than your original idea, but I gotta say that I'll take a sammitch over a superstrut any day. But, I'm basically ruled by my appetite.

But, yeah, "superstrut" sounds incredibly '70s.... which is a good thing, as I see it.

Broke down the girvin fork legs and studied the geometry. The top pivot axle is 4mm farther forward than the bottom pivot axle. I will have to account for this in my design. If I put both axle on the fork center line, the fork is no longer parallel with the headtube.
Here is a reference pics of the parts along with a basic mock of the raw fork. I plan to cut the edges away from the leftover superstrut and use it to make a curved trailing edge that matches the curve of the frame.
Of to the hardware store again to see what I can work up for the pivot axle sleeves.
WP_20140524_14_09_20_Pro.jpg
WP_20140524_15_10_09_Pro.jpg

The superstrut looks like it should work well by that photo...

Luke.

It's definitely strong enough. I'll take better pics later. Still a lot of work to make every work together, but man, I can't tell you how good it feels to get past that builders block.

love the look so far

Suggestion for chainring reflectors--many motorcycle suppliers stock small reflector bolts for license plate frames. They're available in blue and about 3/4" in diameter...perhaps the smallest you're likely to find.

Latest posts

Back