█ ▌▌G.I.JESSE JAMES ▌▌█

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: █ ▌▌G.I.JESSE JAMES ▌▌█ 5/15 Springer Surprise! pg16

Jimmy the Gent said:
Not that my opinion matters; but I really like the way this build is coming together, and I love the forks. That's some creative thinking right there....

You're opinion matters, if I was only building for myself, I wouldn't be taking photos of all of it, just like I enjoy being able to give input on other people's builds, I like the same interaction with mine, so thank you!

Peatbog said:
I was already giving you extra points for being a cheerleader for everyone else*. Now you get extra credit for the fork. That's like a double word score.

*Seriously, that cheerleader thing was supposed to sound like a compliment.

So I did a few cheers with the cheerleaders at football games in high school and you just can't let it go can you!? :x Oh wait, you didn't know about that, nevermind. :oops:

Thank man, I'm having fun.

yoothgeye said:
So I did a few cheers with the cheerleaders at football games in high school and you just can't let it go can you!? :x Oh wait, you didn't know about that, nevermind. :oops:

Are the pink sneaks from your "Perfect Cheer" days?

Man this is full of GREAT ideas!!! Im gonna steal your springer idea at some point in time for sure!!! Keep up the good work!!! 8) :mrgreen:

kingfish254 said:
Are the pink sneaks from your "Perfect Cheer" days?

I wasn't confident enough in high school to wear pink shoes, now I wear the pink ones (pictured elsewhere) and the last 2 days I've been wearing my plum Chuck Taylors.

FatBoy said:
Man this is full of GREAT ideas!!! Im gonna steal your springer idea at some point in time for sure!!! Keep up the good work!!! 8) :mrgreen:

It's not stealing, this idea is now public domain, but I'll set up a Paypal account for donations just in case. :wink:

MplsCoaster said:
Very Imaginative Springer! Like the full fender too.

Thanks, I had this nice simple build and now I've gone and made it all difficult.

Well I got outside and did some work today, didn't necessarily make progress, but I did work!

First I decided to make my layback seatpost:
SAM_0738.jpg

Then I had to make a gusset:
SAM_0740.jpg

Does anyone else have the same model drill press as me?
SAM_0741.jpg

Lined up, time to weld. Anyone know what the gusset doubles as?
SAM_0742.jpg

Moving on...

Time to start working on this sidecar, don't you hate it when this happens? That was a brand new blade, and the leg is only 35 years old.
SAM_0743.jpg

Was going to build the sidecar from scratch, but then I looked at the crate I was cutting up and realized I could just cut out and use the middle section:
SAM_0744.jpg

Looks a little long:
SAM_0745.jpg

Shaping up:
SAM_0746.jpg

5 year old test fit:
SAM_0748.jpg

A little mock-up, it's just sitting there, I plan to make it sit lower:
SAM_0749.jpg

The sidecar is only about 16" wide, 36" long:
SAM_0750.jpg

And finally, a mock-up with a wheel:
SAM_0751.jpg

So, another good start, I didn't layback the layback enough, so I think I'll have to cut it again.

Re: █ ▌▌G.I.JESSE JAMES ▌▌█ 5/17 Sidecar Beginnings pg19

raggedjim said:
My drill press has steel toed shoes on it, safety first.

It's looking good, (not the leg...) Rg

I don't own steel toe shoes, just 15 different colors of these shoes, and the PINK Reeboks.

Funny thing is, I'm supposed to own a drill press, leftover from my grandfather's tools, I think my aunt has it for me, I need to figure out where that thing is!

Nice progress! Lookin sharp.

really enjoying this build thread, it's coming together nicely. you, sir, have great imagination and building skills :!: also like the photos from mother's day.

nice drill press, matches my armstrong torque wrench

edit: there actually is a tool company called armstrong, that makes torque wrenches, but you know what I mean :D

kingfish254 said:
Nice progress! Lookin sharp.

Thanks man, I'm actually building with one hand duct taped behind my back so you'll have a fightin' chance. :mrgreen:

uneasy rider said:
really enjoying this build thread, it's coming together nicely. you, sir, have great imagination and building skills :!: also like the photos from mother's day.

Thank you sir, it's all for fun and entertainment. I told someone early on, I know with my frame choice and parts that the chances of me winning are slim, but with the type of audience this build-off receives I'm gonna make sure people take notice! :wink:

It's also a good time to share tips and tricks and learn some as well. I was excited about how the springer came together and I'm hoping others will try the same in the future.

N8NBOX said:
Really nice, making me want to build a sidecar for my dog after seeing all these awesome rides. Oh and my drill press is the Vans Model.

Sounds like your drill press is as safe as mine. If you visit the area, you and your dog can try out this bike.

streetpirate said:
nice drill press, matches my armstrong torque wrench

edit: there actually is a tool company called armstrong, that makes torque wrenches, but you know what I mean :D

I have many improvised tools, it will just make me appreciate the real deal more once I get it.

I like Your chucks, What bars are You puttin on Your killer machine?

char said:
Looking really good, Nice work! :D That sidecar is going to be awesome!

Thank, I'm getting excited about it, but everytime I do one thing I see 2 more things that need attention.

wheelymarko said:
I like Your chucks, What bars are You puttin on Your killer machine?

When I'm building this bike I think about a detail and look for inspiration in 2 things Jesse James and Military. I feel like the bars on the bike are very Jesse James (his bikes normally have short bars and you lean forward to the bars) so if I need to I can fall back on those bars, however, on the bars I want to go old military so I'm going to take the bars off my 1956 JC Higgins tank bike and weld in a brace and add an accessory on the brace. If I don't like the look, I'll go back to chopper.

Peatbog said:
That's still a good blade. Just pound it out flat again whilst avoiding hitting the teeth. Good bimetal blades will do that. Cheap blades will snap.

Be careful of the leg injuries though--it could ruin your cheerleading career. :mrgreen:

I had already pounded it flat less than a minute before and I didn't catch the tip, it just accordianed. :?

The blood actually came from a piece of flying steel that was hit by a flying hammer that I swung... oops. :oops: I think my cheerleading career will be ok.

2 more sidecar notes:

1. It's going to be heavy, as seen it weighs 26 pounds. It still needs to be skinned in sheet metal and interior and exterior accessories.

2. Sidecars usually have a low side to step in, since mine is so short I won't have a step in place, but will make it lower on the side toward the seat so that the passenger can rest their arms on the side and access the brake easier.

Peatbog said:
yoothgeye said:
... so that the passenger can rest their arms on the side and access the brake easier.

Small child. Access to brake. This could be fun.

I remember as a kid taking my car down a dirt road at speed with my buddy holding the emergency brake. I would take my foot off of the gas and my hands off of the steering wheel and he would pull the brake. Ahhhh, the good old days!!!

Latest posts

Back