★★★ SWAG ★★★ Primed and Cranked

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hey everybody, this is my entry into the build off. A 2004 Electra Rally Sport. Its not vintage, but I LOVE me some Electra's. This one came super cheap, and I want to keep the budget down.
Everybody on here always seems to have great ideas on their builds, so I hope to keep up. I just want to have a cool looking ride....

This is SWAG...

IMG_7006-1.jpg

Re: ★★★ SWAG ★★★

tin machine said:
hey man , thats a nice bike !! want to sell it , you can make one bike change ??? :mrgreen:

Got another Electra??? JK

Peatbog said:
People modify bikes to get that look. You're already starting there.

Good luck with the build.

That may be true, but I love modifying bikes. I need to make it my own haha

5/3 Update
Just picked up some Felt Abraham Linkage forks!! Now I have 3 months to figure out how to make them fit the Electra. I have seen it done on other 1" head tubes.
Any advise???
I am still undecided on color for this build. I went to Lowes to scope out some new paint, but nothing jumped out at me just yet. Most of the parts will be black. I am really getting excited to get going on this, I love riding a freshly built bike!

IMG_7020.jpg

Best part of these forks is the price....I think somebody made a mistake!

IMG_7018.jpg

Re: ★★★ SWAG ★★★ - NEW Fork!!

Go back and get me a set....seriously! I'll pay you back!

PM me if there are any more at that price!

Cool build!

brett4christ said:
Go back and get me a set....seriously! I'll pay you back!

PM me if there are any more at that price!

Cool build!

I think they might have been the only ones. The guy didnt seem too pleased about it, but said right off the bat "I'll sell them to you". Saying something about a kid doing the pricing. But I go in there quite a bit. Its one of those bike shops that has tons to look at. LOTS of Electras!! 8)

Wow, great score! :shock: Good luck :wink:

I was able to get this 1 1/8" fork to work on my entry last year by using the stock Schwinn cups and a set of Worksman bearings.

DSCF2967.jpg

The key was that the bearing rings were thin, unlike the bulkier Schwinn units.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Dr. T

Love those RS Electra frames... been looking for one for a while. Good luck with it!

Sooo after researching any possible way this fork can fit into the Electra, its most likely NOT going to happen. The headtube is 30mm, which is a little smaller than some older bikes.
Anyway, my dilemma now is do I use this frame and find a different fork OR use my free pass to find a frame to fit the fork??? hmmm
Either way, whatever doesnt get used will be the next project!

Either way you can't lose.
You could base a build around those forks just as easily as basing a build around that wicked frame.
I think you should use the frame and sell me the forks for the same price your stole (I mean bought) them for. 8)

Dr. Tankenstein said:
I was able to get this 1 1/8" fork to work on my entry last year by using the stock Schwinn cups and a set of Worksman bearings.

DSCF2967.jpg

The key was that the bearing rings were thin, unlike the bulkier Schwinn units.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Dr. T
Funny thing--I went through this same process on Generation Gap and thought I had come up with something new.Looks like I was (Johnny come lately ) and didnt know it LOL

yoothgeye said:
Any progress? Getting your swagger on?

Hopefully soon! I have a day off tomorrow, so I plan on stripping the paint.

bike2112 said:
If the steerer tube of your new forks are too big for the threads of your headset, just dremel tool the threads out until it fits over the steerer tube and then use an aheadset style stem.

Wait, I just saw that it looks like it is a 1 1/8 steerer tube. That may not work. So the other suggestion is to go online and find a first generation mountainbike suspension fork. The early ones you could remove the steerer tube from the crown. Get one that is a 1 inch steerer. Then cut the one on the new fork about 3/8 inch from the fork crown and then slide the 1 incher into the remaining part and have it welded in. I used to do this trickery in the past, but it is kind of risky.

Yeah I looked at every possible way to make it work, even that one. But I have a new direction the build, and it was giving me a headache! :| I will have to save the fork for my future stretch bike I always wanted.

So I have my own personal deadline for this build. Every year the city of Huntington Beach has an annual parade. They shut down parts downtown and PCH so you can ride bikes. Its usually ends up being thousands of people with their bikes, its a blast! ( I'll post pics after)
Anyway, I need to get this thing ride-able by July 4. After that, I will put any finishing touches on it before the official deadline.

Lets press on!

Parts tease....
IMG_7039.jpg

My first nanner seat!!
IMG_7042.jpg

More pics tomorrow......hopefully

Re: ★★★ SWAG ★★★ Paint Strippin'

Well the day I always dread in a bike build has come....stripping the paint. Although everything after thing point is fun, this part really sucks. And I always seem to get little drops of the stuff on me, and it STINGS! :shock:
I still am somewhat undecided on color, but I am leaning toward black...

Goodbye red
IMG_7043.jpg

IMG_7044.jpg

IMG_7045.jpg

IMG_7049.jpg

Latest posts

Back