★★ Hot Rod Deluxe ★★(DONE!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: ★★ Hot Rod Deluxe ★★(Problems...)

Problems...
I got a new tube and it fits fine without any bulges on the sidewall. I guess my wheel is out of true slightly because I put the wheel in straight and every half rotation it rubs on the drop out :| I guess I'll take it to my LBS and have them fix it.

This build off has been a big headache :roll:

Calm down S-ray! I know you can handle it! Just work on something else or take a chill. Ya got plenty of time. Feel better now? Ya calm? Cracked a cold on? You good? Now unbunch those panties, pick up a wrench and GTB!!!! :x :wink: :mrgreen: Peace

★★ Hot Rod Deluxe ★★(Problems...)

It's very simple to true the wheel Nick. At the spot where it rubs, tighten the spoke on the other side. So if it's rubbing the chain, tighten the spoke on the brake arm side of the wheel. Just tighten it a quarter or half turn at a time. If that doesn't do it, try tightening a couple more spokes in each direction. If that doesn't work, try loosening the spoke on the chain side where it rubs. The wheel will straighten out.

★★ Hot Rod Deluxe ★★(Problems...)

I wish I had known it wasn't true, I woulda trued it before giving it to you. It's tough cuz 24x3s don't leave any room for error. Good luck.

Just a thought. How far forward is your wheel? The chain stays get narrower towards the crank. Can you move the whhel back in the drops? Might be worth a shot. 24x3 look cool but anytime youre stuffing in a big tire like that, its gonna be a fight to get it right. My chain rubbed on my tire at first. Had to add a spacer and use a different crank. Relax, take a deep breath and look at it as a challenge and kick its butt.

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
Problems...
I got a new tube and it fits fine without any bulges on the sidewall. I guess my wheel is out of true slightly because I put the wheel in straight and every half rotation it rubs on the drop out :| I guess I'll take it to my LBS and have them fix it.

This build off has been a big headache :roll:

Get yourself a spoke wrench and learn a new skill. It's really pretty simple.
Google bicycle wheel truing on youtube and you will find plenty to go by.
I did it when I was your age and your much smarter than me so it will be a breeze!

Jake Sensi said:
Calm down S-ray! I know you can handle it! Just work on something else or take a chill. Ya got plenty of time. Feel better now? Ya calm? Cracked a cold on? You good? Now unbunch those panties, pick up a wrench and GTB!!!! :x :wink: :mrgreen: Peace

Ha ha, I'm all calm :wink: A little break, and then I'll get back to building :D

ifitsfreeitsforme said:
I wish I had known it wasn't true, I woulda trued it before giving it to you. It's tough cuz 24x3s don't leave any room for error. Good luck.
Hey, it wasn't your fault :wink: The wheel is just ever so slightly out of true. If I didn't have a 3" tire, it would be fine. I think I'm just going to keep working at it. Eventually it has to find its perfect spot. It's hard working on a hot and humid day, even inside a cool basement.

Terry66 said:
Just a thought. How far forward is your wheel? The chain stays get narrower towards the crank. Can you move the whhel back in the drops? Might be worth a shot. 24x3 look cool but anytime youre stuffing in a big tire like that, its gonna be a fight to get it right. My chain rubbed on my tire at first. Had to add a spacer and use a different crank. Relax, take a deep breath and look at it as a challenge and kick its butt.
I tried both spots, all the way up front, and now all the way back :wink:

kingfish254 said:
Get yourself a spoke wrench and learn a new skill. It's really pretty simple.
Google bicycle wheel truing on youtube and you will find plenty to go by.
I did it when I was your age and your much smarter than me so it will be a breeze!
Thanks kingfish! :lol:

I just wanted to thank everyone for their support :D It really does help me get the job done :wink:

Nick, it just occurred to me... what pressure are you running in the tire? I know with the Seminole, if I pump the 24x3 tire to it's max, it rubs, but if I run it at 25 psi, it clears the chainstays. I know 25 psi sounds really low, but in a tire that size it's not. The bike gets down the road beautifully, and the tire doesn't compress at all.

just a thought.

Good Luck with your tire alignment troubles. I know you can pull it together.
If it was easy, everybody would do it, right?
The challenges are suppose to be part of the fun but I know how you feel.
I don't say, it will be fixed and done after this try, I say well that issue will be solved, what's next :lol:

Some times it's a combination of problems too.
Frame-axle alignment/chain length-Gear ratio vs frame clearence/ tire-wheel out of round-true

I've noticed in the last few builds that the rim may be straight and the tire isn't (manufactured that way)
The Innova 20x3 on the Eliminator was really out of round :shock: :roll:
Sometimes going to a better quality tire helps over come the manufacturing issues...
My Tioga city slickers are always true and round (66 tpi) versus the Kenda K838 (maybe 27 tpi)
Just my $.02

ifitsfreeitsforme said:
Nick, it just occurred to me... what pressure are you running in the tire? I know with the Seminole, if I pump the 24x3 tire to it's max, it rubs, but if I run it at 25 psi, it clears the chainstays. I know 25 psi sounds really low, but in a tire that size it's not. The bike gets down the road beautifully, and the tire doesn't compress at all.

just a thought.

I'm running 20 psi. I went to my lbs and the guy said the wheel is so slightly out of true, that there is nothing he can do. He said to remount the tire and make sure it's set properly. I did that, and it still rubs. I stretched the frame a little and now the tire only rubs on the chain.

MplsCoaster said:
Good Luck with your tire alignment troubles. I know you can pull it together.
If it was easy, everybody would do it, right?
The challenges are suppose to be part of the fun but I know how you feel.
I don't say, it will be fixed and done after this try, I say well that issue will be solved, what's next :lol:

Some times it's a combination of problems too.
Frame-axle alignment/chain length-Gear ratio vs frame clearence/ tire-wheel out of round-true

I've noticed in the last few builds that the rim may be straight and the tire isn't (manufactured that way)
The Innova 20x3 on the Eliminator was really out of round :shock: :roll:
Sometimes going to a better quality tire helps over come the manufacturing issues...
My Tioga city slickers are always true and round (66 tpi) versus the Kenda K838 (maybe 27 tpi)
Just my $.02

Yeah, I think it's the tire :|

Schwinnray: Just take it for a long ride & let it rub the chain. It will eventually wear off enough rubber that it won't rub anymore! :lol:

Wish I had a spare straight wheel & I'd give it to ya. I don't even have one 24" rim right now. Looks like that's about all thats holding you up.

well that's good that it's only rubbing the chain now. If you add a thick washer between the threaded bearing cone and the chainring on the crank, the chain should clear the tire.

ifitsfreeitsforme said:
well that's good that it's only rubbing the chain now. If you add a thick washer between the threaded bearing cone and the chainring on the crank, the chain should clear the tire.

+1

My Higgins had the same problem. Picked up a washer at Lowes. Cool thing is that I had a Schwinn chainring laying around. They have a slight offset at the gears, so I flipped it over moving the chain out a little more. The driveline looks fine and there is no rub at all. Actually, the washer would have solved the problem, but I thought the sprocket looked cool, so I kept it. :D

ifitsfreeitsforme said:

Thanks Ian! :D I'll try that soon :wink:

Nick,
Another think to look at is the rear sprocket. They often have a 'dish' to them too I did that and the chainring suggestion on my Fatbelly and now I have plenty of chain clearance.

DSCF3372.jpg

Good luck and Build on!

Cheers,
Dr. T

bike2112 said:
Hope you get the chainrub ironed out. That is an incredible looking bike. Great K-stand for it, headlight rocks, fork rocks, heck, the whole darn bike rocks!
Thanks! :D

Re: ★★ Hot Rod Deluxe ★★(UPDATE 14- It's a Rider!!)

UPDATE 14
We've got a rider! :mrgreen: I took your guys advice and added a washer and it fits :wink: Only a very slight rub, but I think it will stop after a few miles 8) Tomorrow I'm going to try and work on the chainguard :D I have to cut a notch out for the tire :wink:

003-7.jpg

005-6.jpg

004-5.jpg

Red hot with them rims!!!!
Maybe you should just shave down you tire with a butcher knife like Burt Munro (Fastest Indian). 8)

kingfish254 said:
Red hot with them rims!!!!
Maybe you should just shave down you tire with a butcher knife like Burt Munro (Fastest Indian). 8)

Ha ha, yeah make a high performance racing slick! :mrgreen:

Thanks Kingfish :wink:

Latest posts

Back