★★ SAND TROOPER ★★

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: ★★ DANA-GLIDE ★★ - 5/10 UPDATE

That Dana is really neat. And Steve, the build looks awesome so far. A truly well chosen frame, wheel, tire, and fender combo.

I was wondering... what would happen if you combined that dana with a 3 speed hub :?: Would it be like one of those rock crawler jeeps with dual transfer cases? :lol: Someone should try this, you know, for science.

Regards,

I said it once and i'll say it again !, it's nice to see "RatRod " buildin a "RatRod" ! :D

A.S.BOLTNUT said:
I said it once and i'll say it again !, it's nice to see "RatRod " buildin a "RatRod" ! :D
Yep.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Rat Rod said:
Here's how mine looked inside...

941479_598990956786097_703398443_n.jpg

We've already got one B/O bike named after a Beastie Boys song; you could call this one "Intergalactic Planetary"!

Uncle Stretch said:
Wonder if you could make a manual shifter instead of the cables? I'm going to have to play
with mine now. Yall have me curious.

I built a manual shifter for mine. It was.....a PAIN. :x You will definitely have to come up with some sort of indexer for it.

Glad you got that problem all sorted out Ratrod. Looking forward to the next stage.

I took the cables off mine, and used a cast iron hydraulic control off a tractor and ground the inside hole of the handle so it would slide over the plastic piece that controls the gears.

Its a crude mount but it worked, now I need to find time to fix mine ,heck I still need to tare down my build off bike :shock:

Tried a different bar/stem combo today and it's a much more comfortable set up.

I just need to get a slowriderz seat post and figure out my headset situation and I'll be ready for the finishing process.

I think I'm getting close to being able to enter the Klunker sub category. :lol:

DSC_0003-001-2.jpg~original

DSC_0010-001-1.jpg~original

DSC_0013-001-1.jpg~original

DSC_0016-001.jpg~original

Re: ★★ DANA-GLIDE ★★ - 5/11 UPDATE

Yep...the way I have it set up now, it shifts and rides smooth.

I think I may need a bit of adjusting to do from 2nd to 3rd because there were a couple of times were I shifted and it locked up on me and I had to back pedal a little and then it shifted.

I had made the mistake of taking the cables out of the transmission and couldn't get them back in easily. I had to loosen them up at the shifter adjustments and then when I got it back together the shifting was off. I fiddled around with it some last night and didn't really get it totally dialed in.

yoothgeye said:
Isn't that stem you put on that 24" BMX?

Yep.

I found out that one of the welds in that frame has a hairline crack so I've opted to use the parts off if it. I'm glad I only paid $40 for the bike.

Today I made some more progress on the bike.

Maybe you are saying to yourself...man, those guys in Texas sure build their bikes fast! The truth is, we have to build them now while it's in the 70s/80s outside. A few more weeks from now and we'll be hibernating until the Fall. :lol:

I ended up buying one of those wire brush cups from Lowe's to use on my angle grinder. It was a DeWalt model and it cost me $14. I've never used one before and actually, I've never even used an angle grinder before. I got the cup installed and decided to remove all of the original paint on the frame this afternoon....

photo-5.jpg~original

The first thing I learned was to never wear just shorts and a T-shirt while using one of these cups. About five minutes into the paint removal process I start feeling twinges of pain in my legs and I look down to see several of these wire brush strands STUCK INTO MY LEGS! :shock: I decided to go inside and throw on some jeans and a jean jacket I had. I proceeded to take off a majority of the old paint and all the while these stupid bristles were flying off the thing. I was getting close to the end and I noticed that more and more of these bristles were flying off and that there wasn't much left on the wheel anymore.

photo-6.jpg~original

I decided to call it quites with the grinder and hand sand down any remaining paint. After putting the grinder down I realized that my entire garage was covered in these STUPID WIRE STRANDS! This crap was everywhere. It didn't matter where in my garage you looked...there would be wire bristles lying around. At that point I took a break from the frame and had to start sweeping. My kids are running all over the place, mainly barefooted so I knew I had just created a nightmare for myself. :x

After cleaning all of the bristles up I finished sanding the frame and decided to go ahead and lay the paint down.

Here's the frame ready for paint....

photo-8.jpg~original

And here it is after about 3 coats...

photo-7.jpg~original

After a little drying time I decided to throw the back wheel on to see how the combo was going to look...

DSC_0002-16.jpg~original

I'm pleased with the color and finish. It's sort of a matte beige color. I think it will looks good with all of the other black parts.

The next thing I need to address is the fork. All of the forks I have are too short steer tube-wise. Will have to do some research to see what I want to go with.

Oh, I also painted the housing of the DANA transmission black. Ran out of time and didn't get an pics. :roll:

Re: ★★ DANA-GLIDE ★★ - 5/12 UPDATE - PAINT!

When I was young I remember watching my dad use the wire cup on the angle grinder when we were working on something and after he quit, watching him pulling little wires out of his arm, it scared me to death as a kid (lots of flying "shots") but now it's just everyday in the shop to remove wires sticking out of my skin.

Note #2, I always buy the twisted wire cup, I say always, but I've only bought one in over 10 years, they last, but they are much more abrasive.

Note#3, I did buy a regular Dewalt straight cup brush (like yours) and though it does occasionally throw bristles, it has lasted for a couple years with a lot of life still left in it. You might want to check if your angle grinder exceeds the RPMs on your wire cup, if not, then I think yours was faulty and you should seek a refund, these are not 1 time use items.

Re: ★★ DANA-GLIDE ★★ - 5/12 UPDATE - PAINT!

Absolutely agree with Yooth, I have had my current twisted wire cup for about 5 years, and have probably used it for a total of 100 hours, still plenty of life left.
Really think you must have got a faulty one... :?
Mine did cost around $30 though...

Luke.

Latest posts

Back