☆★☆BIG JIM☆★☆ BUILD THREAD RRB-BO#8 A.G. 2013 (1ST PLACE)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: ☆☆Ꭼsє LᎾ₡Ꮎ JᎾKᎬЯ!☆☆(THAT CRAZY JOKER!) RRB#08

Ok, no bike progress but the car is ready for the trip and I started on the trailer to get it ready too.
Had to cut a rear door to make getting the bike in and out possible, even so, I will have to remove both wheels to get it to fit lengthwise...

8701520426_f0735bf5c6.jpg

Got to make the door now.

Here is a possible colour scheme for the bike, not 100% decided, but it is cool. That is a metalflake purple below the beltline, and I am sure everyone knows by now that I love white on bikes... Thinking white on the wheels and the purple metalflake on the frame and forks...

8202233972_048503a3bb.jpg

Bought some lengths of steel today, got everything I need to finish the wheels, hopefully have them done in the next couple of days, I will be building a spoke jig for them this time, lost too much time last time aligning everything, this time I will spend the time on the jig and the rims should just flow together easy. The jig will be multi-fit to work with rims from 16inch and up and any backspace/width, so I will be using it on future builds too. (FatBob?) I will add the jig build process to the "How To" to improve the information there. http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 83#p661483

Luke.

thanks for the future jig post. dude your color scheme sound great cant wait to see this starting to come together

Troy

Looking forward to your progress Luke! The plans look great.

Rich

Thanks everyone! I will try not to disappoint!
Now I just have to pry myself away from the computer and do some actual work! Been sitting here for 2 hours and only just now got to my own posts... :shock:
The build off is crazy!

Hey Rich, any chance you will be joining us? I know you said no in the past, but this build off is amazing to be a part off... :wink:

Luke.

inshane64 said:
Is that your car! I really like it. Maybe it and my '64 Fairlane are distant relatives!
It was our car, rebuilt it ourselves, everything including drivetrain and paint, and interior!

8202262224_bb5a8817ae.jpg

Unfortunately we has to sell it about 5 years ago as we were moving interstate and needed the money. Still miss it...

Not that distant relatives, 1965 Ford XP Falcon. (Australian model.) Slightly smaller than yours but otherwise fairly close! Very nice Fairlane, thought about two tone with metalflake? :wink:

Easily the coolest car we have ever owned, however the '67 Beetle I had with the baja kit, 4wd tires and a hot 1.8L Subaru motor in the back was more fun, even used to spit flames on the overrun... :mrgreen:

Luke.

OneHorsePower said:
Bump ! awesomeness waiting to happen here 8)
Thanks 1HP!
Waiting to happen is about right, getting sick of working on cars and trailers, think I am just going to start on the wheels tomorrow, the trailer can wait another day... :wink: Have to get the trailer stuff done though, we are off on our holiday in just 5 days and 3 hours...

11pm here, and quite cool outside but I still just want to go out there and build the jig!

Came up with some cool things to try on the frame construction, hopefully they will work out and give me the look I am after, not something I have seen done on this site before, although there probably is somewhere in the many, many old builds...

Stay tuned, I might actually do something tomorrow! :lol:

Luke.

as much as I'm already overwhelemed looking at this :p - very nice ideas

whats hapnin with the fatbob - I just wanna see it finished!!!!!!!!!!!

Thought it would be nice to stop by and say... I like were this build is going!!
Keep up the great work and don´t forget to post the pic of the bike sticking out of the trailer! :mrgreen:

Thanks for dropping in everyone! Hoping to make some actual progress today, however the weather is too windy for welding so it may just be tube bending for the frame and not the wheel jig as promised. I will try, but it will depend on the weather!

feeblington said:
whats hapnin with the fatbob - I just wanna see it finished!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry Feebs, I really have dropped the ball on FatBob, should have done it by now. I got it to the point of knowing the single sided idea was going to work and lost interest for a while. I think I was viewing it as a technical exercise as opposed to a bike build, proved my point and moved on. I am still interested in FatBob, and it will get finished, but probably with a few changes and not till after the BuildOff as I don't have room to take it on holiday with us too!

Proposed changes to FatBob: Remove single sided stays, replace with standard tube stays that will look much better, replace worn out back tire with another one or change wheels completely and go with a 17/22 combo in the same style as this BuildOff bike, and of course, FINISH IT! I may still be convinced to keep the single sided rear but it looks out of balance in my opinion, will see how I feel when the time comes.

FatBob has influenced this build in a large way, a lot of the lessons I learned on FatBob by making mistakes are fixed at the design stage on this one, even the basic lines and style are influenced by it...

Gdcast said:
Thought it would be nice to stop by and say... I like were this build is going!!
Keep up the great work and don´t forget to post the pic of the bike sticking out of the trailer! :mrgreen:

I will endeavour to get that photo! :wink:

Luke.

Thanks for dropping in everybody! I will try and keep this entertaining for you!

PROGRESS: Got all my steel!

8706700716_3e1e33cf4d.jpg

Not my usual steel selection, the largest piece there is tube with a 22mm o.d. (7/8) Normally on my builds you will see about 6 meters (20 feet) of 50x50mm (2x2inch) square tube, this one is different, I have 35 linear meters (115 feet!) of various tubes and square sections, flat bar, even some solid round bar, going seriously outside the box on this build...

Going to build a frame like I never have before, plenty of triangulation, and multi-level support structures, in short: A SPACE FRAME!

Luke.

Got some actual metal work done!

Sorry, not the wheels or the jig, was still too windy for welding. (I work outside in the open.)
But I did bend up the rear stays!

8706700814_11e84db061.jpg

Here is two of them on the rear wheel for size reference: (I over bent them slightly...)

8706700832_bbdc7ac5df.jpg

They look like toothpicks! Even though this is the same size tube I used on the muscle bike build off bike, with these wheels they look really small... :shock:

Muscle bike pic:

8542009810_0bcbabdbae.jpg

I came up with a new heavyweight way to bend these, added it to the tube bending how to: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=68228

Let me know what you think!

More to come,

Luke.

Re: ☆☆☆Ꭼsє LᎾ₡Ꮎ JᎾKᎬЯ!☆☆☆ RRBO#8. PROGRESS MADE!

Yessssssss! You're not kidding on the toothpick comment! I can't express how excited I am to see the rear triangle around those beasts. :shock: It might even make you look like a short dude. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts

Back