☆★☆BIG JIM☆★☆ BUILD THREAD RRB-BO#8 A.G. 2013 (1ST PLACE)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: ☆★☆ "BIG JIM" ☆★☆ RRBO#8. (Ꭼsє LᎾ₡Ꮎ JᎾKᎬЯ!)

Teaser pic of the wheel colour...

Doing a model of a Mercury coupe with my youngest brother-in-law while we are here and he liked the colour chosen for the wheels on the bike, so he painted it volcano orange and it will be accented with a black top above the bodyline.

9373525713_62e57fd087.jpg

Did not get to paint the wheels today, hopefully tomorrow.

Luke.

Re: ☆★☆ "BIG JIM" ☆★☆ RRBO#8. WHO ORDERED THE TRACTOR WHEELS?

I need my sunglasses! 8)

Lowlife Lucas said:
Thanks Lucas!

kingfish254 said:
I need my sunglasses! 8)
:lol: Yep, they are bright!
They do seem to change colour a bit in the shade, here is another pic...

9383684344_cdd33e539e.jpg

Hoping to get a good day in tomorrow, going to get the brake done, the jackshaft lock bolt to ensure the shaft does not move when braking and also the park brake... Be nice to get the new bars mocked up to, but I will just have to see how I go... :roll:

Seeing the bikes in the build-off getting finished already, with the high quality and standard of finish, is really pushing me forward now! It will not be as highly finished as some bikes, but it is more agricultural/farming engineering style anyway, so that will fit the theme... :wink:

Luke.

Wheels look great! Have you decided on a colour yet, or did I miss it?

bean said:
Wheels look great! Have you decided on a colour yet, or did I miss it?
I wont be painting the main frame, but portions of it will be black, orange or white... :wink:
(pin-stripes.)

Luke.

Excellent color choice for the wheels ! :shock:

junknutz1975 said:
Excellent color choice for the wheels ! :shock:
Thanks JunkNutz! Everyone loved the International Orange idea, so I just adjusted it slightly to Volcano Orange and went with that, very happy with the way it came out, really does look like something off a Massey Ferguson though! :lol:

Luke.

Looks like you have been nickin smart wheels... :wink: :lol:

Progress, progress, progress!

I have actually been working on the bikes paint for the last few days, just been keeping it quiet in case it didn't work... Finished it today, didn't work very well but still worth sharing.

Started with spraying the top plate on the frame orange and laying on pin-stripes with 3mm (1/8th) painters fineline masking tape the next day...

9389280685_f86b0e5e75.jpg

Then sprayed on some white in places, waited a day and did some more masking...

9389280811_272a9378e4.jpg

Then sprayed on some black, waited a few hours and peeled off the masking, unfortunately due to the short timetable, some of the paint lifted with the tape, does not look too bad from a distance...

9389280925_58277a9081.jpg

But up close not so good...

9389280985_70172da5e9.jpg

Not enough time to redo it, so will just have to touch it up with a small brush or weather it, sand it and faux-tina it... :wink:

Did get some other work done today, the new handlebar mount/fork top clamp is done.

9392082884_1d4372346f.jpg

Did install the brake calliper and mount, all looking good but at this point untested. :shock:

9389280863_bb3703a81f.jpg

Also finished up some lathe work I started up in Darwin, I know many people have built almost every part of their bike from scratch, but has anyone made their own oversize wheelnuts before?

9389280731_1060c71e34.jpg

:mrgreen:

Luke.

Re: ☆★☆ "BIG JIM" ☆★☆ PINSTRIPES, BRAKES, BAR MOUNT, WHEELNUTS!

8)

I personally LOVE lifted, partially " oops'd", somewhat screwed up, nicked and scratched paint work. ( adds character if you ask me :wink: )

Too perfect paint means you'll never ride it.

I think that pattern is perfect for the build too!

You are building one KICK BUTT bike here my friend!

big Jim must be real proud!

:mrgreen:

Thanks JunkNutz! Complements like yours mean a lot!
I am warming to the paint as is, wanted it to be perfect, but it is my first attempt, and very rushed, so I am actually pretty happy with it!

I heard from my Sister that when she showed "Big Jim" the photo he had a big grin on his face, so I guess he likes it! :D

Luke.

Dude the paint looks great to me gives it a new old tuff look :D :D :lol: this bike just gets better and better :!: :!:

Troy

I quite like the not so perfect patina...And the pinstriping is fab...Gives it that beast used look...

I like the striping pattern you came up. That's such a long panel to cover and it repeats nicely.

kim_dude said:
You know your bike is huge when "parking brake" is on the to-do list!!
:lol: Yep, you are right about that! Hopefully I will get to the parking brake, the way I want to do it should be a good surprise, but it is the last thing on the list so may not happen before the deadline...

jats said:
Dude the paint looks great to me gives it a new old tuff look :D :D :lol: this bike just gets better and better :!: :!:

Troy
Thanks Troy!

Funkme said:
I quite like the not so perfect patina...And the pinstriping is fab...Gives it that beast used look...
Thanks Funk, the frame has even rusted up a bit after 4 weeks in the tropics, really looking good!

Lowlife Lucas said:
Lookin good!
Thanks Lucas!

kingfish254 said:
I like the striping pattern you came up. That's such a long panel to cover and it repeats nicely.
Thanks King, came up with about 20 ideas on paper and went with that one because it would look the best on such a long and skinny panel. :wink: Discovered I love pin-striping, might get me some brushes and one shot when we finally get home...

Luke.

Re: ☆★☆ "BIG JIM" ☆★☆ REASSEMBLY STARTED.

Started on reassembly today, bit of a slow day, pretty worn out at this point...

My Father in Law came around with some aluminium polish to clean up the big sprockets, looks awesome! Thanks Paul!

9396096031_81b9124126.jpg

Fitted up some RedLine platform pedals that suit the look far better than those old white plastic cheap mountain bike ones that were on there...

9396096083_620b36dd9b.jpg

Front end back on to give you some idea how the top fork clamp and bar clamp work together...

9396096151_cfd23f7f17.jpg

Un-laid-back the seatpost yesterday to make it so slightly shorter riders can ride it (My Wife's Family for instance!) just waiting on the paint to dry.

9396096247_9e16e10d7e.jpg

Next up is the new bars, headlight and handbrake, unfortunately the side panels with the "BIG JIM" lettering wont get done, just not enough days and too worn out... :|

Luke.

Latest posts

Back