☆★☆BIG JIM☆★☆ BUILD THREAD RRB-BO#8 A.G. 2013 (1ST PLACE)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: ☆★☆Ꭼsє LᎾ₡Ꮎ JᎾKᎬЯ!☆★☆ RRBO#8.

Thanks King Zebba! :D
It looks heaps better with a normal seat, will post up some pics tomorrow. Thankfully "Bruiser" Steve is a bit shorter than me, even with the stretch and layback seat tube it is a bit small for me to ride comfortably...

He is currently thinking of flat drab olive green on the frame and satin black for the forks, seat pole etc... Should look really good!

Been great to do a quicker build, this is the first time I have modded a frame without replacing large sections of it, or building monster wheels, it does make it a lot easier and quicker! Sure is easier to line things up! I think the results are pretty good too...

Luke.

Re: ☆★☆Ꭼsє LᎾ₡Ꮎ JᎾKᎬЯ!☆★☆ RRBO#8.

I meant to do this earlier when we first arrived here, post a map to show where we are and how far we have come.

8734495793_8c6a813da1.jpg

At this point (Stop 1.) we have travelled about 950km (590miles roughly) and have left Victoria and entered New South Wales, staying with my Sister and her family.

In a couple of days we will be leaving here and heading to Rockhampton QLD, staying with my Wife's brother. A run of about 1400km. (850miles roughly.)

Luke.

Re: ☆★☆Ꭼsє LᎾ₡Ꮎ JᎾKᎬЯ!☆★☆ RRBO#8. Bonus Build in progress!

dude you have gone this far and took your build with you now that is dedication!!!

Troy

By the map it looks like your heading up the New England Highway and passing by the border town of Wallangarra? :D

That is quite a journey you have planned for Luke the Travelling Tinkerer!

I just want to know where Crocodile Dundee lives? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

looks like another sweet build luke
you are definitely skilled
keep us informed
thanks
Sean

jats said:
dude you have gone this far and took your build with you now that is dedication!!!

Troy
:mrgreen: yep, going crazy on this one!
Funkme said:
By the map it looks like your heading up the New England Highway and passing by the border town of Wallangarra? :D
Wallangarra?
I am not sure... Is that where you are originally from?

kingfish254 said:
That is quite a journey you have planned for Luke the Travelling Tinkerer!
Yep, and that is only the way up, still not sure if we will be coming straight back down the middle or drop in on everyone again, it will depend on how we and the car are travelling. We both have health issues and the car is 20 years old and has over 320,000 km on it. (200,000 miles.) Asking a lot of an old car with only a 2 litre motor, towing that trailer...

Uncle Stretch said:
He would probably like you to think he lives somewhere around Katherine in the Northern Territory, but really he is either in L.A, or in Majorca avoiding his tax issues... :lol:

burrkrayecycles said:
looks like another sweet build luke
you are definitely skilled
keep us informed
thanks
Sean
Thanks for the compliment Sean, we did not mean to get so carried away with this little build but once we test fitted those forks, it was all downhill from there! It is a very cool bike, love the lines of the standard frame.

Woke up with still a bit of a sore throat from the flu, hopefully if I just go stand in the sun for a bit and get some fresh air, I will be good enough to work on the bike and wheels when Bruiser gets home from work.

Luke.

LukeTheJoker said:
Uncle Stretch said:
He would probably like you to think he lives somewhere around Katherine in the Northern Territory, but really he is either in L.A, or in Majorca avoiding his tax issues... :lol:

HEY! Watch it now... that man is a NATIONAL treasure!

deven_science said:
HEY! Watch it now... that man is a NATIONAL treasure!
:lol:

By the way Deven, thanks for the idea on the layback seat tube for Bruisers new bike, credit where credit is due, got the idea directly from your build off build! :D Hope you don't mind...

Luke.

Its Tenterfield, stanthorpe , Toowoomba way.Not the coastal route...My ole man still lives there...
Nice country area... hope the ole car makes it :wink:

a situation i know all to well luke
i have 14 different builds going on atm be it alot are older bmx bikes but if i think of an idea done or not im gonna put it together while im still thinking of it
i know the felling with the flu that dang bug kicked my but awhile back i was in the hospital for 3 days its a nasty germ take it easy on that but on the same sense hope you're feeling good because im interested in seeing you're builds and what you come up with next
good luck luke
Sean

Funkme said:
Its Tenterfield, stanthorpe , Toowoomba way.Not the coastal route...My ole man still lives there...
Nice country area... hope the ole car makes it :wink:
Yep, definitely going that way, avoiding the big cities. Pretty confident in the car, it is a Toyota after all! :lol:
burrkrayecycles said:
a situation i know all to well luke
i have 14 different builds going on atm be it alot are older bmx bikes but if i think of an idea done or not im gonna put it together while im still thinking of it
i know the felling with the flu that dang bug kicked my but awhile back i was in the hospital for 3 days its a nasty germ take it easy on that but on the same sense hope you're feeling good because im interested in seeing you're builds and what you come up with next
good luck luke
Sean
Yep, have to take it easy now, it has really settled in. Tried to fight it this afternoon but ended up having to go to bed, just started on the coughing so think the next few days will be a wash out bike wise...

Good thing there is so many builds going on in the build off to keep me occupied reading when I am up to something!

Luke.

Yep, definitely going that way, avoiding the big cities. Pretty confident in the car, it is a Toyota after all!

If you don´t pull any "Mad Maxes" you should be all right :lol: :lol:

Re: ☆★☆Ꭼsє LᎾ₡Ꮎ JᎾKᎬЯ!☆★☆ RRBO#8. Bonus Build DONE!

Hello again all! I am back!
A couple of days travelling and our laptop we brought with us no longer likes Flikr for some reason so had trouble uploading photos, on my brother-in-laws laptop now...

We got Steve's new bike done to the point where he can finish it off, rear dropout braces done and swapped the seat over to the original that came with the bike.

8746699531_b31048cc84.jpg

It is a good fit for him.

8746699589_49e4cc26c1.jpg

He is going to do the smoothing of the welds, sanding, clean up and paint, should be able to get finished pics on our way back home as we probably will be going that way...

We are now at Rockhampton, in Queensland.

8734495793_8c6a813da1.jpg

Travelling well, first night sleeping in the back of the wagon was interesting, I know the seats fold flat to make a bed, but I dont think they had generously sized Australians in mind when they designed it! :lol: Temperatures got pretty close to freezing overnight, but it was still nice and warm under the many blankets my thoughtful wife packed...

Luke.

Re: ☆★☆Ꭼsє LᎾ₡Ꮎ JᎾKᎬЯ!☆★☆ RRBO#8. WHEELS DONE!

Hello all!

Managed to fix my Flikr issues by the looks of it, so here is a real build off update! :shock:

Got the wheels spoked and the hub tubes in! I have to say, I thought they would look big, and I used smaller thickness spokes to help emphasize it, but they do look massive! :mrgreen:

Here is a quote from the Fat Wheel How To on how I did them:

LukeTheJoker said:
UPDATE 18th MAY 2013 RRB BO#8

Just finished connecting up my monster 245/30/20 shod 20x8 rims to thier spokes and hubs, adding that here in the how to, as they are 8 spokes instead of 4 and I built a jig off the first one so that the second and any future wheels I do will be easier and quicker.

Start the same way with your hub tube, setting up everything with the magnetic clamps for the first spoke.

8746682987_9e1c809586.jpg

Weld that spoke, position the second spoke at 90 degrees ready for welding.

8746683029_fb83c94c41.jpg

Weld and continue till you have four spokes, the last one can be checked for angle off two spokes instead of just one, which will tell you if your angles are right or not.

8746683057_53ef34c760.jpg

Repeat for the other 4 spokes, except using the 45 degree sides of the magnets.

8746683111_80a770de91.jpg

Your finished your 8 spoke wheel spider!

8746683149_6bd504cafe.jpg

Now to build a jig, using the spider as a guide, so any future wheels are far easier to make. I started with a 13 inch wheel, and added three pieces of steel to decrease the centre hole size to match the tubing I use for my hubs. Make sure you get these central or your wheel may bounce up and down or wobble when done.

8746683181_e37bda912f.jpg

The next step is to build something that holds the back end of the tube, preferably adjustable so you can change the offset of your future rims if you use narrower or wider wheels. Mine is using a motorcycle fork top welded to a simple cross brace made from angle.

8746699431_43b1881d79.jpg

Now, insert your finished 8 spoke spider through the centre hole of your rim, sit the cross brace holding the adjustable offset mechanism on the back of you hub tube and adjust it to fit snug, double check everything is centred and weld the cross brace to the back of the rim.

8746699459_5f1bf91ccd.jpg

You need to find a way of positioning the spokes so they don't move, on my rim that meant just grinding and filling a notch in the outer rim to hold the outer..

8746699503_675d635644.jpg

And welding little pieces of round bar closer to the middle to hold the tubes in two spots.

8746699615_2aca0c436f.jpg

That is the jig finished!

8747831346_42f5536bab.jpg

Now to build your second wheel spider if you are doing a bike with front and rear fat wheels, simply lay the spokes in the slots, slide the hub tube in and start tacking, once it is fully tacked on one side, slide it out and flip it over to fully weld it. I found the first wheel spider takes about an hour to build precisely, future ones built off the jig take only 15 minutes...

Once you have your spiders welded, you need to work out the positioning on your rims, by propping them up on bits of wood or steel till the spokes sit in the centre of the rim. (Note the line marked inside the rim to help with this.)

8747831388_299eb5c78f.jpg

Weld it up, repeat for any other wheels you are using and it is done!

8747831468_4174efd4c9.jpg

You can see at this point I have not yet added the bearing cups and axles to the wheels, but the method for that will be the same as the method described at the start of this "How To"

Here is a link to the build these will be used on: viewtopic.php?f=76&t=72017#p696728

Feel free to ask any questions you want or pm me for more information.

Luke.

Both wheels done and placed with the mock up board, I am standing with it for size reference, if anyone has been following my other builds, they will know I am a fairly big guy, and make most large bikes look small... Not this one!

8747831416_e75f9b1080.jpg

One without me in it and closer up so you can see the details better on the board.

8747831436_395767b05f.jpg

The info on building the wheels and the spoke jig is also contained here, you can check out the updated "Fat Wheel How To" viewtopic.php?f=3&t=68533&p=661483#p661483

I have been thinking about filling in between every second spoke on the rims, so they become four fat spokes, anyone have any thoughts on it?

Luke.

Re: ☆★☆Ꭼsє LᎾ₡Ꮎ JᎾKᎬЯ!☆★☆ RRBO#8. Bonus Build DONE!

Those wheels are insane!!!
Happy travels buddy!

Re: ☆★☆Ꭼsє LᎾ₡Ꮎ JᎾKᎬЯ!☆★☆ RRBO#8. WHEELS DONE!

The Renaissance Man said:
Nice precision work with simple tools!
Looks like you wont be needing a kick stand with those tires. :mrgreen:
Thanks!

Yeah, wont be any need for a kickstand, but that leads to another issue...
If you park on a slight slope with a "normal" bike, the kickstand holds it from rolling away...
With this, parked on a slope with no kickstand! :shock: Looks like I need a park brake! :lol:

Luke.

Latest posts

Back