☆ 1936 Off-Roadmaster ☆ Klunker - DONE!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: ☆ 1936 Off-Roadmaster ☆ Klunker Sub Build-Off

CCR said:
Nice bunch of build off fodder Justin, I think that's the stem I grabbed for you. The bars and the PorkChop goods are sweet, love the green. Just don't see green anodized parts used that often :wink:

Yeah, it's funny, they make anodized green parts, but how many BMX bikes do you see all done up in ano green? Not many. The thing is Danny MacAskill used green anodized parts on his Inspired trials bike. :mrgreen:

Vonpotter said:
Dangit yooth, you are pretty much building my exact plan for the upcoming UGV Buildoff.

Well good, you can know if it's a winning combination or not. :lol:

King Zebba said:
A bike shop in the house!!!!! Man I'm jealous! Very cool! 8)

I have a 2 story shop behind the house, the family who built the house built the shop first and lived upstairs while they built the house, then after finishing the house they rented out the upstairs apartment for a while, then when the boys got older and they didn't have a tenant they took down the wall between the living room and bedroom and made it their game room and had a pool table up there. I have converted the kitchen into a little "mini shop" for clean bike work, while the dirty bike work is done downstairs where the power tools and welder and big vise are.

CCR said:
I think it's more like a bike shop... in the house ... above his bike shop ...

I hear he calls the bathroom the "parts room"

It has been for a while, haha, there's only 1 bike and 1 frame in there now... and some parts... and a toilet.

Smoopy's said:
yoothgeye said:
Thanks man, and now (since I read it quick) I know what a positron cable is... it's old. :D

:lol: :lol: ..you saw that..decided I didn't wanna highjack your thread with a bunch of technical jargon

That's the only way I learn!

OK, so I mentioned somewhere earlier that besides my main Klunker build, I want to build a couple more so that when friends come by we can klunk together. I have a couple frames in mind.

Well, today I had to make a hospital visit in the same city as my local bicycle shop (50 miles away) so I left there and went to the bike shop, I'd been there before and gave it bad reviews because I felt like I was rushed out of there. Today was completely different. There were only a couple people in the store, only one working. The lady working was the same one that had helped me previously, but today was less busy so we talked about bikes, about the 100 year history of the store, the area, etc... She was great, let me look all over the store and even go into the back room with all the rusty tank bikes by myself!

I talked for about an hour as she worked on a 16" Huffy Rock-It, so it seems that this shop deals with the same types of bikes as I do.

I finally thought to ask her if they had any straight BMX style 26" forks. I motioned to a bike in a group of bikes that she already told me were customers bikes, "Like that one." She walked over and looked at the bike, then moved a few more bikes out of the way and said "Here, take this." I was stunned and very thankful. It had been a customer's bike, but she ended up selling him a different bike.

This is a Hunter bike, they were sold in the 80s, my brother-in-law use to sell these in his Grandpa's bike shop, and I have a NOS Hunter saddle he found and gave me, which, besides the seat post, is all this bike is missing.

null-14.jpg

I was only after the straight fork.

null-13.jpg

Gold anodized or painted rims, Sakae crank, and chainwheel.

null-17.jpg

The part that got me the bike.

null-16.jpg

Very wide Femco wheels.

Will these parts go on my main build? No, I just going to put on another set of old Yamaha moto bars, some grips, change the tires, and call this one a KLUNKER!!!!

xddorox said:
That should be a sweet klunker indeed.

Yeah, I will definitely finish this one before my main build, I also love that this bike has heavy duty spokes.

So today was super busy, had a yard sale at church this morning, that took half the day. Then I had to fix my father-in-law's tractor. The day was running out, so instead of working on my build-off bike (I've got 3 months right?) I started on the klunker fleet! I prefer to ride with friends, and having a few klunkers around will enable me to hit the trail with friends a lot easier.

The idea is to not just have 1 klunker at the end of this build off, but have a few, and with the acquisition of the Hunter yesterday I now have 1 klunker in the fleet.

The Hunter was already basically a rider, it had air in the tires and pedals and a chain. I packed the front wheel bearings, removed the reflectors, dropped the stem, and tightened some spokes up front. Then it needed new parts, so I added an old Yamaha MX bar, some SWEET skinwall tires from Kingfish, a WTB saddle, some bling bling gold seat guts, a seat post, and some grips and lock-on grip clamps.

I still need to put a smaller chainwheel on it, and the pedals are bent, but for now, this is klunker #1.
null-21.jpg

null-20.jpg

null-19.jpg

null-18.jpg

Glad those piranha tires worked for you.
Now how about another photo of your Build Off bike!!!!! :p :mrgreen:

nice bike and yep 3 mnths plenty of time lol

Troy

I'm going to make an educated guess that those welded on brackets were for a velocipede railroad bike conversion.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62288126@N04/7632590860/

Something like this, maybe. the sears catalog sold kits for adapting a bicycle to run on train tracks, and plenty of people built their own.

Railroad workers and telephone and telegraph workers used them to make quick maintenance trips and amateurs used them to get around for whatever reason. Some only worked on the tracks and others could convert to road use quickly.

That's a good thought, I've seen people that made their own, but based on where the brackets are, any attachments to them would have interfered with the person pedaling.

MplsCoaster said:
Klunker #1 looks like a good rider

Thanks, indeed it is, a nice solid bike, I'm actually quite fond of it for only owning it for 2 1/2 days. :mrgreen:

I went home for lunch (Mexican food leftovers from yesterday), finished up quick, ran out into the shop, and grabbed the cut-off wheel.

null-24.jpg

Uh-Oh! I was trying to break the brackets off once I cut them and the one on the seat post took a little too much steel with it:
null-23.jpg

I don't know if I want to try to weld the hole up because I will undoubtedly get slag in the tube and won't be able to get a post in there! :x Bondo? JD Weld?

It's ready for some sanding and a coat of primer.
null-22.jpg

Re: ☆ 1936 Off-Roadmaster ☆ Klunker Competition (progress pg 4)

You must have gotten motivated to start on your build off after you saw that Steve may actually finish one. :mrgreen:
Love this frame.

Shove a piece of copper pipe down in the to block the hole and weld er up! You know the weld won't stick to the copper..

Critter1 said:
Shove a piece of copper pipe down in the to block the hole and weld er up! You know the weld won't stick to the copper..

Or aluminum, GOOD CALL! Now I just need something that will fit snug.

Latest posts

Back