☆ 1936 Off-Roadmaster ☆ Klunker - DONE!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: ☆ 1936 Off-Roadmaster ☆ Klunker - SO MUCH MASKING TAPE pg7

yoothgeye said:
Double Nickle said:
digital camo? 8)

You got it!

That's awesome!

BTW sending that Georgia tag your way still...been busy

Machine Age Victim said:
:lol: @ the canoe

Looking forward to seeing the camo

Was wondering if anyone noticed my canoe.

Double Nickle said:
That's awesome!

BTW sending that Georgia tag your way still...been busy

Sweet! I can't wait to see this camo too

That camo is gonna be cool!
I love the "squeal like a pig" canoe.

digitalcamo_zpse94b9fd1.jpg

HAHAHA! LOVE IT!!! We need some Grumpy Cat memes now!

I went out to the shop to spray on the next color, grey, but for some reason I didn't have any flat grey, (this is going to be an urban or arctic digital camo, white, grey, black) I was anxious to paint and used gloss grey, which is gonig to make removing the masking tape an issue, as well as putting the white coat over it. Ugh. The masking tape doesn't come off till the white is on, so I've got a while to worry about it.

deorman said:
8 pages and the bike can hardly be seen at all! That's some good camo! :p :lol:

Yeah, I'm going to look like that cat on the invisible bike when I go riding.

So today I've been masking the next set of digital camo marks onto the frame. I have the frame inside, on my lap in my recliner as I watch TV and tediously put down masks on the new grey paint. I am using my X-Acto knife to peel the little pieces of tape apart. Passing the razor knife over to the end table it slips from my hand and falls point first into my inner thigh. I quickly yank it out and through my blue jeans a pool of blood arises. Ouch and oh no.

Quickly taking off my pants (glad I was working in the house and not outside tonight) I put pressure on the small puncture wound and got everything under control. It hurts like a poorly administered shot, but in a minute I will resume my show on Netflix and the taping, but being more careful with the X-acto knife.

Way to go Ricky Bobby!
Shake and Bake

5_funniest_scenes_from_ricky_bobby.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

yoothgeye said:
So today I've been masking the next set of digital camo marks onto the frame. I have the frame inside, on my lap in my recliner as I watch TV and tediously put down masks on the new grey paint. I am using my X-Acto knife to peel the little pieces of tape apart. Passing the razor knife over to the end table it slips from my hand and falls point first into my inner thigh. I quickly yank it out and through my blue jeans a pool of blood arises. Ouch and oh no.

Quickly taking off my pants (glad I was working in the house and not outside tonight) I put pressure on the small puncture wound and got everything under control. It hurts like a poorly administered shot, but in a minute I will resume my show on Netflix and the taping, but being more careful with the X-acto knife.
Was it squirting/pouring blood or just oozing?
Wow, I've dropped X-Acto knives hundreds of times and not once has it ever cut me. They have rolled off drawing table, drafting tables. picnic tables and even while away only to come back and sit on them but never cut me. Better knock on wood now as i'm about to use one soon.

72 rover said:
Was it squirting/pouring blood or just oozing?

Oozing sounds gross, so I'll just say it was running out. At the puncture it was immediately "puffed up" like the blood pooled under the skin. With direct pressure it was under control in about a minute, and now with just a bandaide on it's not even leaking through.

Unfortunately I just jabbed the side of my right pointer finger, so I have the second bandaide of the night. :oops:

I'm actually not clumsy at all, just getting overly comfortable and up too late.

Bike war wounds!!!! Maybe its time for a new thread :wink:
No pain,no gain.... :lol:

It's never really a successful project until there is blood. great progress! :wink:

OK, so I've made some progress on the paint, the tedious part is done.

For review, I prepped the frame and sprayed it flat black. Then I put pre-cut (by me) pieces of masking tape all over the frame. Then I sprayed it with grey spray paint. Then I put more pre-cut pieces of masking tape all over it. Then I sprayed it with white spray paint. Finally, I removed all the masking tape revealing black and grey shapes.

I was going for an arctic or urban digital camouflage... did I pull it off?

This morning in grey with masking tape:
null-48.jpg

White painted over grey, tape, and black.
null-45.jpg

Starting to remove the tape:
null-46.jpg

All tape removed:
null-47.jpg

null-44.jpg

null-38.jpg

Next step is to lightly sand it to get rid of the raised edges and clear coat it, I will be using a gloss clear.

yoothgeye said:
I was going for an arctic or urban digital camouflage... did I pull it off?

Naw, I think you need to start over. :p

Really turned out cool. Tedious work was well worth it!

kingfish254 said:
Really turned out cool. Tedious work was well worth it!

Thanks Kingfish! I know it's not exactly what the RatRodBike crowd might be looking for, but I'm building it for me.

If you look at the photo you'll see that I didn't camo the inside of the seat and chain stays and the design on the underside of the other tubes gets a little lighter, also left the BB shell without, but I figured those parts of the bike would hardly be seen once all components are added.

Latest posts

Back