☆ 1936 Off-Roadmaster ☆ Klunker - DONE!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoothgeye

I build stuff.
Reaction score
In my attempt at a trilogy I join my 3rd RatRodBikes.com Build-Off with a 1936 Roadmaster frame given to me by last year's 2nd place winner Terry66. (Thanks Terry, you're the man!)

In Build-Off #6 I built a 1976 Murray Skybolt
In Build-Off #7 I built a 1956 J.C. Higgins German made men's tank bike

Since I dropped 20 years from my first Build-Off to my second I thought it only fitting to drop 20 more years. I can't continue this route! :lol:

I've built cruisers the past 2 years and thought I would build a klunker this year, which is cool since a few more are building klunkers and we will be having an informal klunker sub-build-off.

My actual inspiration for building a klunker is an 80s Lee Chi left side brake lever, I shall have photos of that at a later date with my other parts.

Here is my frame, photo taken 4/30/13.

null-6.jpg

Fun Facts!

-My first build-off bike was faux patina.
-My second build-off bike was real patina.
-This time I am killing the patina for a shiny paint job.
-My first build-off bike was made only a few months before my birthday in '76.
-This frame was made 40 years before my birthday.
-This is the oldest frame I have ever built.
-I spent less than $100 on my first build-off.
-I spent less than $50 on my second.
-I've already spent in between those two on this one.
-Nobody knows what those brackets are for that someone welded to the frame, but they are going away.

Re: ☆ 1936 Off-Roadmaster ☆ Klunker Sub Build-Off

I will be running 36:18 which is a great gear for my local trails. I can go a little taller if the weight of this old bike is an issue. :mrgreen:

Good luck.
Great frame.
You should name it Wolfpack

All righhhhht !!!!! Lets see what u got !!! :D

Goodluck on your build.
Maybe the bit in the back is a pump holder? :?:

cool frame :D add 1 to the sub build,

Troy

yoothgeye said:
I will be running 36:18 which is a great gear for my local trails. I can go a little taller if the weight of this old bike is an issue. :mrgreen:

2:1 is usually for flat road riding, it's the same as running a 44/22 on cruisers. I run single speed 26" mountain bikes here with moderate hills at 33/18 & 36/22 (then again, I am an old fart), something to consider if you want her to perform and not kill you....

Neat frame, I'd keep the one between the top tubes. Just my 2 cents.

kingfish254 said:
Good luck.
Great frame.
You should name it Wolfpack

Maybe I'll just put my Wolfpack spoke card on it. :D

LukeTheJoker said:
Awesome old frame!
Finished bike should have some real character...

Thanks. I told Kingfish this weekend that if I ride a bike that doesn't get any attention, then I did something wrong.

Funkme said:
Maybe the bit in the back is a pump holder? :?:

I was thinking more like s motor mount, for one of the friction motors? It's a little overkill for a pump.

Lowlife Lucas said:
Now that's an awesome frame!

Thanks, I have already sprayed paint stripper on it (before the photo) and you could still see some of the original pinstriping on it. Hated to kill the old patina, but it's not what I'm going for on this build.

s1cks66 said:
Mmmm this frame is delicious. I can't wait to see the finished product. Put some clothes on that thing!

I'll start revealing parts soon.

Critter1 said:
Cool curvy frame sir!

Yes, it does have a sort of "camelback" look.

jats said:
cool frame :D add 1 to the sub build,

Troy

Awesome, can't wait to see the other klunkers.

irideiam said:
2:1 is usually for flat road riding, it's the same as running a 44/22 on cruisers. I run single speed 26" mountain bikes here with moderate hills at 33/18 & 36/22 (then again, I am an old fart), something to consider if you want her to perform and not kill you....

I have tested and approved my local trail with my 26" MTB at 34:18. I wanted to run a Porkchop Chop Saw on this bike, and the smallest he offers (without going micro) is a 36t, so I may play with the hub sprocket number once it's up and riding.

MazdaFlyer said:
Neat frame, I'd keep the one between the top tubes. Just my 2 cents.

I know, I've been looking at the frame since December with the bracket in there, so I'm wondering what it will look like without it, but up close it's ugly, and the spacing is wrong for a center brace.

Sweet….I was hoping you would put that frame to good use! I can’t wait to see this build. Lines are so cool on that bike.

Latest posts

Back