☆ 1936 Off-Roadmaster ☆ Klunker - DONE!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: ☆ 1936 Off-Roadmaster ☆ Klunker - Finished with a snag pg 16

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
Looks NICE! :D

The only thing I would change is the green grips to black grips, but that is just me :idea:

Thanks, I am actually working on this as I type. I have the grips (UNI Hand Grenades, made in USA sold by PorkchopBMX.com ) soaking in some dark brown dye I had. If they don't darken up much, I have some new black Oury MTB grips on standby.

I just fixed the frame, first I cut away the paint around the joint with a razor blade, then I ground the metal with my Dremel tool, wrapped the bike in old tighty-whiteys and wet it all down with cold water:
null-72.jpg

Then I put on some ugly welds:
null-73.jpg

Took it for a test spin, hopped some curbs and it's doing fine. So I did minimal weld grinding, taped it up and sprayed it black.

Re: ☆ 1936 Off-Roadmaster ☆ Klunker - Finished with a snag pg 16

The Renaissance Man said:
You'll have some explaining to do the next time your wife washes the whites! :lol:

Glad your back on track!

Haha, these are in the rag bin since I switched to boxer briefs a few years ago... TMI?

Re: ☆ 1936 Off-Roadmaster ☆ Klunker - Frame fixed, done again.

Looks like you have some skid marks after that ride.

kingfish254 said:
Looks like you have some skid marks after that ride.

HAHAH! I almost made skid marks of my own!

The grips did take some of the dye, but I think the green is still wrong, looking like the black ones are going to be the way to go:

null-74.jpg

Green grips didn't cut the mustard, so I threw them on the ugliest bike in the world (maybe a video later of that bike jumping into a lake) and put on the new black Oury MTB downhill grips. Also made in USA and also sold through PorkchopBMX.com

yoothgeye said:
Green grips didn't cut the mustard, so I threw them on the ugliest bike in the world (maybe a video later of that bike jumping into a lake) and put on the new black Oury MTB downhill grips. Also made in USA and also sold through PorkchopBMX.com

I want to see that video :shock:

Can't wait to see the new grips :wink:

the bb looks good in the grips pic!! looks like you meant it that way :D

I like how your using the RRB as your headbadge.

jats said:
the bb looks good in the grips pic!! looks like you meant it that way :D

Thanks, I was thinking about breaking up the black box with some white paint, but I'm over it, haha.

kingfish254 said:
I like how your using the RRB as your headbadge.

Thanks, I had all intention of etching my own headbadge, but time ran out and I couldn't find the acid anywhere around here. At least I still have the brass for a future project.

Looks great, but be careful: you're going to bend that post.

yoothgeye said:
Bicycle808 said:

You think so? They feel pretty stout to me.

I've been building Klunkers and now I go out and buy a factory made one! viewtopic.php?f=16&t=75365
I ran a red fluted 7/8" alloy post from porkchop that high on a worksman, and it folded in a hurry. I weigh 250lbs, fwiw.

Bicycle808 said:
yoothgeye said:
Bicycle808 said:

You think so? They feel pretty stout to me.

I've been building Klunkers and now I go out and buy a factory made one! viewtopic.php?f=16&t=75365
I ran a red fluted 7/8" alloy post from porkchop that high on a worksman, and it folded in a hurry. I weigh 250lbs, fwiw.

Maybe your extra 50 pounds is what did it. :lol: My riding style on the trail will keep me out of the saddle mostly.

yoothgeye said:
[

Maybe your extra 50 pounds is what did it. :lol: My riding style on the trail will keep me out of the saddle mostly.

Could be, and I hope you're right, but I'm pretty sure I'd have bent it at 175lbs, too. Believe me, I was out the saddle all day on mine. A SS bike that weights around 35-40lbs? You gotta stand up to ride that on trails. I didn't feel it bend; I just took it out a dozen times or so, and then noticed it was definitely bent towards the back.

Bicycle808 said:
Could be, and I hope you're right, but I'm pretty sure I'd have bent it at 175lbs, too. Believe me, I was out the saddle all day on mine. A SS bike that weights around 35-40lbs? You gotta stand up to ride that on trails. I didn't feel it bend; I just took it out a dozen times or so, and then noticed it was definitely bent towards the back.

Well, as long as it doesn't fold, then I'm cool with it, if it becomes a lay back post... I'll like it even better! :mrgreen:

BTW, wasn't making a weight joke on you, I'm overweight and give all the bikes I repair the 200 pound bunny hop test, if it can survive that, then it will survive what these neighborhood kids can do to it.

No offense taken; 250lbs is 250lbs. And you'll have a 20% better chance of not folding it at 200lbs. but my take on that post is that it looks cool, but is weak sauce. Mine bent, looked like a very mild layback, but i removed it quick b/c it seemed likely to fold if i kept up on it.

Latest posts

Back