☣☢ VerBoten ☠ϟ - Elgin Twin Evanaction Build - Big Butt Strikes Again!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow that frame and forks are just works of art,
the curves have got me and the pedal mount
tube, wish we had bikes like that down under!

Can see what you are saying, you don't want to
bury it because man that frame is so cool!

PP, you do have bikes like this down under. Check out @bean 's CYCO build from BONINE. The work he did on that new frame is a pretty slick imitation Elgin Twin.

I love the curves of these frames too. I have toyed with tank ideas, but for the most part, I like the openness of these frames. There may end up being something that floats in that space, but I have no definitive plans for such.
The bottom bracket shroud is so unique too. I don't want to hide it with a solid chainring that normally comes on these. I want to find the right open chainring so that the shroud can be seen. For that same reason, I don't think that I will run a chainguard or fenders either.
We'll see what shakes out once I get a rolling chassis to play with. I still need to make enough room in my shop to work on this baby.

:agree: This setup screams KISS.

If ever you were going to do a "less is more" build, this is the one to do it on.

Glen.

I love the curves of these frames too. I have toyed with tank ideas, but for the most part, I like the openness of these frames. There may end up being something that floats in that space, but I have no definitive plans for such.
The bottom bracket shroud is so unique too. I don't want to hide it with a solid chainring that normally comes on these. I want to find the right open chainring so that the shroud can be seen. For that same reason, I don't think that I will run a chainguard or fenders either.

I agree that these look better with no tank, and I could even see leaving out a chainguard, but fenders look so good on vintage steel, I'm not sure I could leave those off.

I agree that these look better with no tank, and I could even see leaving out a chainguard, but fenders look so good on vintage steel, I'm not sure I could leave those off.

Appreciate the feedback. Hard to say with just a frame and fork to go on so far. Once I get the visual mass of the wheels on there. You know me, I'll test most anything before making a final decision. I have been lusting over @yeshoney 's triple ducktail Shelby fenders ever since he put them up for sale, but I won't use them here since they have already been used with an Evanaction.

If you're creative with the mounts, you can get a front fender on that Evansaction, and STILL have room for a 700-35C tire. Personal experience - your mileage may vary.

If you're creative with the mounts, you can get a front fender on that Evansaction, and STILL have room for a 700-35C tire. Personal experience - your mileage may vary.

Thanks for the insight. My main concern with any fender up front is visually competing with the winged double spring coolness of the fork. So many of the examples that I see with fenders, I feel that they make the springer blend right into the fenders too much. Some of this could be handled with paint contrast, but we'll see. Now that I have my own fork to play with, I can find out for myself rather than trusting in the google image gods.

I was thinking that a Raleigh-style fender, with the peaked front and the silver bullet/accent would be a cool way to augment that fork. An aluminum fender would be pretty cool too, after a pass with some WD40 and a Scotchbrite pad.

I used flat section bamboo fenders and 26x2.35" tires on my other '56 Evans Colson with the same type springer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was thinking that a Raleigh-style fender, with the peaked front and the silver bullet/accent would be a cool way to augment that fork. An aluminum fender would be pretty cool too, after a pass with some WD40 and a Scotchbrite pad.

Interesting thought. Raleigh style is too skinny for me.
Brushed aluminum could look cool too, but not sure if that works with my plans either.

I used flat section bamboo fenders and 26x2.35" tires on my other '56 Evans Colson with the same type springer.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@gowjobs build with this fork had some slick flat wood fenders too, but that doesn't work for my build.

There's an old adage: the key to failure is trying to please everybody. I suggest you listen to your gut feelings. You'll know what works and when it's right when you see it!;)

You know that I always build my bikes for me. Once I get where I can start mocking up and seeing what sticks, the fun will begin. With that said, I still value feedback here. It keeps the gears turning, but in the end it will still be a kingfish build. :cool: :grin:

I really like this frame fork combo a lot ....I wish we had more close up pics though....
Really looking forward to seeing what you do...Flexy is one of my all time favs....

I really like this frame fork combo a lot ....I wish we had more close up pics though....
Really looking forward to seeing what you do...Flexy is one of my all time favs....

I'll take some more tomorrow. The bike still hasn't left my office. I don't have time or room to really start building it yet, but I can easily take more photos. Then it might actually look like I am making progress. :crazy:

As if its not already completely obvious, sweet frame!

Dare I ask what their going for these days? Seen some big numbers on Ebay a while back

Latest posts

Back