♠ RRB WELCOMES 3G BIKES!!!! ♠

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
You've probably noticed the new banners on the site this week for 3G Bikes out of Long Beach, California.

A couple of weeks ago I was down in Port Aransas, Texas on vacation and stopped at a local bike shop that carried 3G Bikes and I was really impressed with the quality level as well as these mind blowing fat copper wheels. :shock: I was able to test ride one real quick while I was there and noticed how nice the bike rode. Once I got back I decided to contact the owner of the company, Gary Silva to talk about his product line.

Gary originally started Phat Cycles and is responsible for many innovations in the cycling industry, including foot forward geometry. He now owns 3G Bikes. Gary and I have been talking for the past couple of weeks about his bikes and his company and he decided to become a RRB supporter.

Gary sent me one of their Newport DLX 3 speed models for me to ride and review and it arrived on Friday (Christmas in October). The bike was packaged very nicely and it was easy to get it put together...took me about 20 minutes. The first thing you'll notice upon opening the box are the BOA-G tires and those copper rims gleaming inside the box. After assembling the bike I took it out for a quick shakedown run around the neighborhood and I was officially hooked. The bike is LARGE and in CHARGE. I'm 5'9" tall and had to have the seat set low so I could touch the ground. The ride is awesome and the HUGE tires roll fast and make for an ultra smooth ride. The Nexus 3 speed rear hub is flawless as they usually are. One of the most comfortable, solid bikes I've ever ridden.

Not only does Gary design his own bikes from top to bottom, he also lived in Taiwan for several years and knows everything there is to know about the manufacturing side of the business. This shows through in the attention to detail on the bike. Some of those details include the rust proof chain, 3 piece cranks, sealed BB and headset, the CNC milled rear drop outs, copper accented ergo grips and the wild tri-pod aluminum frame design....AWESOME! The big cushioned seat is nice and comfortable and the riding position is perfect. Overall it's just a killer bike that's a great buy for the money.

So without further ado, here's the 3G Newport DLX 3 Speed...

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0022.jpg

DSC_0023.jpg

DSC_0029.jpg

DSC_00261.jpg

DSC_0032.jpg

DSC_00251.jpg

DSC_0016.jpg

Here are shot to give you and idea of the size of the bike, again, I'm 5'9" tall...notice my left foot position.

DSC_0027.jpg

Big Screen Luvin'...

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m130 ... 0009-1.jpg
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m130 ... 0010-1.jpg
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m130 ... 0012-1.jpg
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m130 ... 0021-1.jpg
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m130 ... 0016-1.jpg

Sweet ride!! Those copper rims are insane!!
I have a few sets of those BOA-G's I really need to get them mounted up on something to try them out!!!
Welcome to the RRB Family 3G!!!

I whole heartedly agree w/Steve about the quality and style of these bikes! I had the pleasure, recently, to check one of these out at my fave LBS (Mikes bike chalet) here in Mesa, AZ. Nice lil machine! The one I saw had a different ,but equally nice set of copper accented grips. I didnt really discuss the bike with Mike, but my buddy Casey who was along for the ride w/me was really drooling over this one! Hey Steve, are those wheels the double wall variety? I'm really digging the copper color as well, I'm assuming its a Copper color and not a solid Copper hoop. What say you Rat Rod? :mrgreen:

That's a good question about the rims...I have't had the tire off to see if it is double walled or not.

Gary and I have also been discussing the idea of RRB selling 3G parts through the site so you may be able to order wheels sets here soon. :wink:

I was trying to push my son to one because of those tires, but he was stuck on getting an MP, so that's where we settled. But I really liked that brand.

My only hope is that he expands the line and makes some variety of frames. All the bikes tend to look the same.

I've been watching the ads and waiting for the upcoming announcement and review.

Bike looks awesome.

Ergo grips, nice. Frame looks SOLID!

Seems like most manufacturers are putting plastic pedals on since most people swap them out anyway.

I wanna ride that bike.

big kountry said:
What is the price point on these bikes

To the left of the point are dollars: ones, then tens, then hundreds, (comma), then thousands. To the right of the point are cents: tens then ones. :mrgreen:

That's a sweet looking bike! The fat tires and wide copper rims are cool! Lots of nice welds and details

I was looking at the site and can't quite figure out the name for the twin tube tube bike on the front page
I'm a huge fan of twin top tubes, glad 3G picked up such a cool style and modernized it :D

I like my BOA-G on JUP a lot so I know I'll be ordering more...

We ordered an Isla Vista for my niece two yrs ago it came fast about 6 days had a good price and was a good bike . The Newport is hot!

I love the bike style, size, and vibe. Not digging the web address on the bike and tires though. The web address makes it look cheap to me. I'm not a riding advertisement.

The web address on the chainguard is just a clear sticker so it's easily removed if you're not into it.

Also...we all know about the Acetone tire trick. :wink:

I like that 3G has created their own parts over the years. My first triple tree forks were some Partytime forks.

Where are they made? I didn't see that on their website. It just says their headquarters are in Long Beach, CA.

I'm sure they are made somewhere in Asia just like all of the other cruiser brands today.

When Gary owned Phat, he lived in Taiwan to oversee the production end of the business so he has lots of connections there.

Latest posts

Back