1" threaded vs 1 1/8" threadless forks

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I had a Schwinn that I bought some Sunlite Deluxe Springer Replica Fork - 26", 300 x 25.4mm, Threaded. They fit great. Ok, so here's the thing. I just bought a 1942 Cleveland welding co frame that has the same dimensions as the Schwinn for the head tube. I wanted to see if a set of Sunlite Deluxe Springer Replica Fork - 26", 300 x 28.6mm, Threadless would fit the CWC. (The threaded version was not available and the threadless is available and cheaper)So basically I am wondering if the fork would work if I just use a different headset for the frame to fork.

I have not bought a neck yet so, that would not be a problem. Hope this makes sense. Any info would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks

Google "aheadset" or there are others. You can also find head set parts that will allow you to do it. I have seen many posts on here about it so try a search on the subject.

I hear you could use 1/16" bearings with the 1" cups, 1 1/8" fork races, but.....
Nothing will be ground correctly, radius differences, so it probably wouldn't wear the best.

Here's what I do:

Buy this POC headset:
http://www.niagaracycle.com/categories/sunlite-steel-headset-threadless-1-1-8-black
You can find'm in chrome, too. They'll be sold as Sunlite and/or NECO. You're going to end up using the stock 1" cups with the crown race, top cone, spacers, washer, starnut, and topcap from the NECO. Hardest part is the bearings....

These NECOs come with a 22x5/32" caged bearing, top and bottom. Here's the catch: the caged bearing that's packed in the NECO is pretty upright; it binds in the stock 1" cups. You'll need to get either the low-profile Tioga-style 22x5/32" caged bearings ( http://www.niagaracycle.com/categor...ainer-bearing-22-x-32-10-box-41mm-1-1-8-tioga ) or just run some loose 5/32" balls in there. PAck as many balls as you can fit, minus one. And load it up with grease. IME, it makes more sense to just swap out the appropriate caged bearings, as linked above.

I've gone this route with Schwinn and Worksman headsets; I bet it'll work fine with an old CWC, too. Of course, now you'll also need a whole different stem, too....

HTH,
Rob

The retro ryder is the same NECO headset I linked to above, but the cups were turned down by GBP to fit a Chicago Schwinn (32.5mm). Worked fine for me in a Schwinn, but was loose as a goose in Worksman frames... Not sure how it'd fare in the OP's CWC, might be worth while to measure the original cups to see.

Latest posts

Back