$10,000 Bike

Sep 13, 2007
Northeast Alabama
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently took a trip to NYC and Boston areas. Flew into JFK and after a few days in NYC, rode the Acela Express train to Boston. Bicycles are alive and well there! Saw a lot of flip-flop hubs on road bikes. Saw a lot of rental bikes. Saw a lot of Pedal Cabs. I always like to check out the local bike shops whenever I'm on a trip and in Boston I ran across a shop that sold Giant bikes. The guy running it was real nice and he showed me a Giant SL series road bike. I had never been on a modern high end road bike. I lifted it up and said WOW! Better yet, he had a large frame model in the shop that he rode himself and he let me ride it around the block. Sweet is all I can say! I wished that I had something like that 30 years ago! Thanks!!!

Feb 22, 2010
DFW Area Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The difference in high end road bikes and our classics is amazing.

Roads - Light, Fast, Responsive, the gear you need at the touch of a brifter! Fun.

Classics - Comfortable, no rush, take time to smell the roses and just enjoy the ride. Also Fun.

We like to ride both. It's nice having the right bike for the situation.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
yes! High end bikes must be amazing. I have not had the opportunity to ride one, just fondled a few.

I would looooooooooooooove to have a $10k bike, and I'm pretty sure it would be a Pinarello Dogma team issue with Campy, or something similar. I have not had a bike with full Campy yet; just a piece here and there.

I guess you could say I ride medium-end bikes. I have a BMC (aluminum frame, carbon fork, 17.5 lbs), and a Kestrel (all carbon, 16 lbs), and an old Bridgestone RB-1 with modern drivetrain (steel, 23 lbs). All of them spectacular to ride, but the lightest one is pure amazing. Makes me want to own a 14 lb bike.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
oh ya. I read Bicycling Guide, and I can't tell you how many times I've seen a bike listed for $8-$9k only to realize they mean just for the frame. So put a few thousand dollar set of wheels on that, and another few thousand dollar groupo, and BAM, you're in the $15k arena easy.

I know someone who runs a boutique bike shop where he only builds high end bikes that range from 8 thou into the upper teens for pro triathletes, doctors, lawyers etc. Must be nice.

Sep 13, 2007
Northeast Alabama
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I think the New England area would be a great place for a bike business. You've got the population density and income levels in certain areas that I saw that support high end dealerships. You've got to have people and bikes to be successful at it on the local scene.

Sep 18, 2011
New Hampshire
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If I’m going to spend 10-large on a two-wheeler it’ll need to have an engine attached to it.

To convert a 21-pound road bike into a 14-pound road bike, lose 7-pounds of blubber.