11:11 FINISHED!

The Renaissance Man

__CERTIFIED DIVER__ (Open Water & Open Dumpster)
Pro Member
Nov 24, 2012
8,168
19,444
The Tropics of Alabama
Been working on the patina for 11:11's tank today.

The bike was originally black and some of it shows through under the flaking red house paint, so I decided to start with black for the tank. I had first toyed with the idea of trying to match the flakey red over black but decided after seeing today's progress that I like how it looks on the bike being "original" black. The red would be tough to match and I like the contrast of the black tank better anyway. Plus it saves me a day!!!:)

Here's where it is in just a little over 48 hours after I started carving it. It's progressing faster than I had thought it would so I'm now hoping to finish ahead of schedule! That's a nice feeling after being behind schedule for the last three months with Chris.:whew:

101_3686.jpg
101_3689.jpg
101_3691.jpg
 
Last edited:

The Renaissance Man

__CERTIFIED DIVER__ (Open Water & Open Dumpster)
Pro Member
Nov 24, 2012
8,168
19,444
The Tropics of Alabama
Day 4.

Hot rod bikes don't look right to me without the seat pushed back over the rear tire a little. So I grabbed an old lucky 7 and the original post and took them to my cousin to weld them together. (I know, I really need to get better at welding for myself but not today.) Not knowing yet how far back it will need to go, I flipped the 7 to get more options. The long part would be wasted inside of the other post anyway.
000_0032.jpg

000_0033.jpg


After I got back to my shop, I cut the top (now the bottom) of the old post and stuck it in the bike for a quick photo.
000_0036.jpg
 

The Renaissance Man

__CERTIFIED DIVER__ (Open Water & Open Dumpster)
Pro Member
Nov 24, 2012
8,168
19,444
The Tropics of Alabama
I discovered a problem while truing the wheels on the bike. The rear was totally out of square with the frame and it turned out that one of the drop outs was broken. It looks like it has been that way for a long time judging by the wear on the two pieces.

The quick rat rod solution was to reset the position and then drill and tap the hole for a machine screw.

Bam...fixed!:emo:
101_3696.jpg