'15 Kona Humu....

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks really nice, but I don't care for 29" wheel size.

To me there is a certain nimbleness that's lost once you go over the 26" size.

It looks really nice, but I don't care for 29" wheel size.

To me there is a certain nimbleness that's lost once you go over the 26" size.
Yeah, but you're short...

:p

Luke.

I like it. whats the price like? im not familiar with kona, this might be a stupid question to some, what is with the Hawaiian names?

I always kinda liked these bikes. Under a grand for a steel bike, available in a few sizes, with discs and decent parts is a decent price... $900 ain't cheap, but it isn't out of line, either. I agree w/ Steve, I prefer a 26", especially for a bike like this, but I can see why they went with the 29"--- makes more sense for this sort of bike, in today's market....

What do you guys think about this bike with a 3 speed rear hub for use as a klunker? Its this or wait on the Electra's new bike to come out. Thanks for your help, Dave.

I'd take the Humu over the Treklektra thing b/ the Humu comes in 3 sizes, and it's made of steel, and it's not a Treklektra. That being said, real klunkin' kills 3 speeds rather quickly. I'd rock it singlespeed.

where is the kona made?

ROC (Taiwan), probably. Maybe the PRC. At that price point, it could go either way. Previous Humus were made in Taiwan, at least the earlier ones. I've always been impressed with the budget-priced steel Konas I've worked on and ridden. I still ride my Kona Hahanna from time to time, for those rare occasions that I want gears on the trail....

For riding the trails on pavement and in dirt, do you think the Unit by Kona, or this bike would be better? Thanks for your help on this, Dave.

I like it. whats the price like? im not familiar with kona, this might be a stupid question to some, what is with the Hawaiian names?

Google is awesome...and sometimes a little contradictory:

"Né the Cascade Cycling company in 1988, the name Kona came about after Fuji, who had a bike named the Cascade, moved to protect their brand. The renaming was a nod to the gonzo style of Hunter S. Thompson’s Curse of Lono and is a window into the whimsical nature of the company, reserved for everything but the quality of their bikes. The folks at Kona have a certain lightness of being and irreverence for stodginess." - from the website of NYC Velo, a New York City Kona dealer.

"So why does a company that straddles the US/Canada border have a Hawaiian name? It comes from their fascination with all things volcanic. They’re located on the northern edge of the volcanic Cascade Mountain Range, which runs down the Pacific Coast from Canada to Southern California. The Hawaiian Islands are part of that volcanic chain, so the Kona name connection came along naturally." -- from the website of Full Cycle bikes, a Boulder, Colorado Kona dealer

Either way, once the Hawaiian theme was established, it looks like they stayed with it, especially with the bike model names.

For riding the trails on pavement and in dirt, do you think the Unit by Kona, or this bike would be better? Thanks for your help on this, Dave.

Well, The Unit has the on-trail advantages of coming in more sizes over a wider range, and has much less BB drop, which makes for quicker handling. The Unit also has shoprter chainstays, which achieve a similar effect as the higher BB, and it's no doubt the lighter bike in terms of weight. It just has more modern/progressive trail geometry. On the other hand, both bikes have so much in common (same head- and seat-tube angles, similar standover clearance), and the Humu has more "comfort" features, like higher bars.... so you wouldn't go far wrong if you bought the Humu b/c you prefer the cruiser looks and more laidback cockpit. Despite the relatively low BB, I think the Humu has descent trail potential.... the old 26" wheel version certainly performed well on-trail, and if you're going to be splitting your time between dirt and paved trails, it ought to fit the bill perfectly. The Unit is a fairly pure full-rigid SS mtn bike, and the Humu is the klunk'd-out versipn of the same.

Hope that helps... I think the Unit is the better mtn bike, but if you wanted "just a mtn bike", you wouldn't be lookin at the Humu at all, right?

-Rob

Bicycle808, thanks for your input. I was thinking that either bike would work for me, but I like the looks of the cruiser better. Since the Unit is not heads and shoulders better than the Humu, I think I'll go with the Humu. Thanks for the help, Dave.

I had a Kona Blast MB a couple of years ago.I liked it.it was well made.I agree on the if it was a 26.I think it is a little steep myself.

I rode a Humu and an A'Ha back in the day. They were rather stiff and unforgiving. The ride just wasn't that great. But a 29er would probably have more flex due to a larger frame. Oh well, I'm too short to ride a 29er anyhow. Those bigger wheels need bigger frame to accomodate them. I've test ridden a few and they are all just too big for me. That new Humu 29er would probably be a great ride for a big person.

Anyone know of a bike shop with a blue one in stock? Looking for one with a 18" frame. thanks for your help, Dave.

I'd email Kona USA; they can probably put you in touch with a dealer who has one in-stock, or even possibly get one shipped out to your closest dealer. Or, they might just ignore your request. :confused: But, you never know til you try...

Latest posts

Back