16" Huffman-Final shots posted

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: 16" Huffman

P1010900.jpg

raise the jats-o-meter to 11 man, cuz it gose to 11 man!!!!!! :wink:

Troy

(Do the klunker pic in those cloths)

Glad it goes to 11. :)

And Deorman thanks for clarifying.

I think there is still some parts swapping to come.

I've been thinking that since the frame is Hufffman built the little guy could do with a rear suspension. TwinFlex-like. Or maybe even Deathbike-like. That may be more than I'm up for right now but we do have some time still.

that would be real cool! if you did a one of a kind :lol:

Troy

I had another project to work on this weekend so I didn't have as much time for the build as I would have liked but at this point moving in small steps is probably better anyway.

The project made me clear the shop floor, so most of the small bikes had to go outside. The little guy is taking his place in the front of the line. These are the bikes that tend to get ridden the most around here.

The big news of the day was that this bike finally arrived. Basically a twin to the buildoff bike, named Butch. It has better paint so is a cool reference, and might even mean I don't have to decide if this will be a Klunker or a Dragster. Maybe I just make one of each.

I did start messing around with a suspension for the back end inspired by the Twinflex.

Started with a repop Schwinn spring assembly. The fit and proportions are actually nice.

Then looked at how it would connect at the rear dropout and how the two ends would connect to each other. I really liked the flow that the Schwinn fork added.

I made a bracket for the spring and cut the fork. In the end the bracket I made is too short so will have to be remade, but I think things are off to a good start.

Re: 16" Huffman-Update-A twin and a twinflex?

Your twinflex engineering looks sound from every angle to me so far.
I was hoping that someone would do a flexy build this year. If you check out my BO7 bike there are plenty of reference shots of both Flexy and TwinFlex rear ends.
Can't wait to see this one come I to play.

Thanks. I did look at some Twinflex reference shots and tried to think it through.

It seems like the rear axle and the connection to the strut that runs to the spring both need to be the same dimension from the main pivot point at the plate?

Also, the spring probably needs to be loaded about pretty close to a straight line or it will be getting pushed all over.

Any other engineering pointers as I start to finalize this?

Oh man. I 'organized' my Photobucket account and should have realized that that would break all of the links on this post.

I will try to get them all back in place. That may take some time.

I'm better at physical things than I am with technology. :oops:

bruce said:
Thanks. I did look at some Twinflex reference shots and tried to think it through.

It seems like the rear axle and the connection to the strut that runs to the spring both need to be the same dimension from the main pivot point at the plate?

Also, the spring probably needs to be loaded about pretty close to a straight line or it will be getting pushed all over.

Any other engineering pointers as I start to finalize this?

I am not sure that I understand you dimension question.

You springer bracket and bolt will handle keeping the spring compression in a straight line. No worries there.

Actually, I think your bracket may be a bit too short for the spring. The spring damper actually needs to go below the suspension arm (fork), but above the lower bracket.

You're correct on the bracket. I made it from a piece of rectangular tube and thought it was big enough but it ended up short.

I'm rethinking some of the details but thanks for taking the time to look at this in such detail.

I'll try to make a diagram of my axle bracket question but I agree that it will work.

Thanks again.

More than glad to help.
Another piece of advice is to find a way to do a funtional mockup to test your engineering before you try dressing it up.

Also good advice.

I think that if I just remove the spring I can get a sense of the movement, and as long as the spring is being loaded directly on its axis it will work.

Checking stiffness will be another thing. I ordered a few different springs today so can change them out to get the right ride. I like the look of the Schwinn spring so hopefully it works.

Thanks.

I made a little progress on the springer today. One of the new springs I ordered fits really well and although I still like the shape of the Schwinn the finish and blockiness of this one is great. It is slightly compressed in the bracket so won't need the rubber bumper.

I also shaped the upper bracket more and cut a slot in it so that it rests on the frame better. And I got the fork mostly stripped.

Now some work on the brackets and the axle and I should be able to test this out.

Not to confuse things too much, but the 16x3.0 Stingray tire came so I tried it on the twin 'Butch'. It fits with plenty of clearance, and looks like it will even work with the fender on. I know that I can't enter more than one bike but I'm going to build the first bike out as a Klunker and the second as a Dragster.

Love the beefiness of the new spring and how well it flows with the fork. You may need a cup to keep the spring from sliding side to side. Or you could put a thick rubber insert inside the top and bottom of the spring. Also, you may want a thick rubber washer between the fork and the bracket to dampen it when the spring uncompresses.

Great work on the new bracket and fork!

Love the OCC tire on Butch too.

Thanks again Kingfish. I was thinking that I could tack weld one end of the spring to the bracket and then use a small cup on the fork side, but the idea of a rubber sleeve inside of the spring is nice and the bumper for when the spring returns is a good idea. I may need a slightly shorter spring for that.

Also, the heaviest person riding this will probably weigh 50 lbs, maybe 60, (except of course when I get on it :D ). But it could still slap around when it returns.

And Kim_dude, as it sits in the photos the tire would rub for sure, but once the axle brackets are in place the rear wheel will move back a few inches, so even with an inch of travel should be far away from the spring assembly. I'll need to replace some of the links that I removed from the chain for sure.

Hopefully over the next few days I'll be far enough along to test it out.

Latest posts

Back