16" Huffman-Final shots posted

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've never entered a build before but it's time to get this little frame put together.

One of my favorite things about kids' bikes is how the proportions get super muscly since they use the same bottom bracket, head tube and rim widths.

So the starting point is this Huffman frame, looks like from 1952. No badge but saw a Dayton badged frame from a Cabe member so either that or Huffy or Huffman.

Here goes.

Re: 16" Huffman

I see what you mean about muscley. The fork looks as wide as Beast.
Might be cool to try some baby OCC tires squeezed on normal rims.
This is going to be a fun and unique one to watch.

I'm going to use these ND hubs laced into some found rims off of an old donor bike.

Skip tooth sprocket mounted onto the stripped frame.

There is just a hint of the original paint and striping. Traced it with a Sharpie for now. Semi-permanent but can come off easily depending on how the paint goes. Right now I'm leaning toward no paint.

And a shot with the donor wheels and tires. I'll keep the rims and spokes. Maybe the tires depending on whether this ends up a little Klunker or a little Dragster.

oh wow that is cool with a + cool factor of 7 :!: :!: :!:

Troy

I guess it is time for another LTJ coolness factor ratio demonstration!

Kids bike ratio:
26 minus wheel inches x age in years (10 x 61) = 610, times 2 for skiptooth, and another +7 for the Jats factor = 1227! Man! That is one cool little bike!
:wink:

Luke.

LukeTheJoker said:
I guess it is time for another LTJ coolness factor ratio demonstration!

Kids bike ratio:
26 minus wheel inches x age in years (10 x 61) = 610, times 2 for skiptooth, and another +7 for the Jats factor = 1227! Man! That is one cool little bike!
:wink:

Luke.
:lol: :lol: :roll: :lol: :lol:
well played Luke well played

Troy

Here are the donor rims and spokes.

Got them painted and laced up. As many of you may know and I found out, lacing the smaller rims is a bit tougher, not nearly the flexibility in the spokes. I used a Rust-O-Leum color called Persimmon (I think) that works pretty well with the leftover bits of red and raw steel. I've always like monochromatic and tone on tone paint schemes.

Also set the headbadge in place but have misplaced the rivets so am waiting on some others.

And last for now, I've been thinking about how to add some truss rods. My favorites are the Iver Johnsons that merge into a single rod near the headset, so I thought about trying to make some of those. In the end I used a knock-off Schwinn bracket as the starting point.

From there I bent up some 5/16 cold rolled rod.

The first one sat a little low in relation to the wheel, or at least I thought so.

The next one sits better.

Now for the ratty part, tacking the tabs and brackets on in place next to the newly painted rims and the ND hub. I get a bit lazy about stuff like this and figured the best way to make it fit properly was to tack it in place.

And some finished shots of the truss rods.

This Lil guy Rocks!! Keep it coming!! Peace

Testing out a different set of bars. I'm still not sure if this will lean toward the Klunker or the Dragster. That will partly depend on the 3" tire which should be here soon.

Either way these low rise bars will work, either right side up or upside down.

That little bike is a "10" in my book. I love the kids bikes! 8)

The green stripes with the purple boots are fortunately a regular occurrence around here.

Now we'll just have to see if she can lay down a nice skid/slide like the one in the Klunker photo. :D

Latest posts

Back