1776 Wagon

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So.... here I am again entering RRBO. This is my third time entering, and I hope the first I actually finish....:headbang:

My first was "George" in RRBO6...http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/george-sweating-it-7-27-11.39920/
Unfortunately that's one bike that never got built. I ended up using most of the parts for other projects. Here is how it's at...

My next was "The Great Space Coaster" RRBO7...http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/re-the-great-space-coaster-6-15-update.56401/
That bike actually got built after sitting for 3 years. I finished it for Tour De Fat in Tempe last year...

It's with Some hesitation that I now enter RRBO10.... I don't want to "Fail" again, not hitting the deadline.
I've been flipping and building a number of bikes over the last four years since I started here, so I'm more confident in my skills than when I started, (Though my "Skills" Pale in comparison to a Great many of you here).

This is a frame I sought for quite awhile and finally the Universe provided and one was given to me, a Madwagon.
Hence "Wagon" in the name. 1776 is what I've wanted to do for a bike for a Long time. I love Bicentennial things, it takes me back to my youth in 1976, Everything was 1776-1976.

So that's what I'm shooting for, a Spirit of 76 build with my Madwagon frame. Here are some of the parts I'm planning on using for this build....

A couple of issues I'll have to conquer... A LOT of stripping and Painting. I'm getting better at it, but this build pretty much goes or falls with paint. I also have another bike I'm dying to do and will probably build at the same time, as well as fixing and flipping bikes to keep me mobile on the bikes I love.

Wish me luck..... please.
I've been Loving the builds I've seen this year so far....

Nice parts pile to pick from, and I can see the theme playing out like Sousa's 76 trombone's with the skirts and chain guard as the stars and stripes! Why not knock this one off first and have 'er ready for the 4th! Then you have a whole month left to do your others...?! Like my dad always used to say, "There's no time like the present!":grin:

You got some great parts saved up there! I remember all of the Bicentennial stuff too. I had a pair of red white and blue bell bottoms with patch pockets and my first 10 speed was a Bicentennial Free Spririt.

Glad to see that you did finish The Great Space Ghoster :p . That was a fun build to follow.

Just remember to have fun!

Wish me luck..... please.
Good luck!
wpid-IMAG1303-1-1.jpg

Hope you finish this time around...
Seems you have a pile of great stuff... So git ta buildin...

Thanks for the good wishes....
I decided this morning to get going right away, and put it all together somewhat, to see what I'll have to deal with.

Overall I like it, and the exercise brought up issues I expected, but hoped I wouldn't have to deal with.

First off the front fender is rubbing the tire at the front.
It also is sticking out too far in the back.

It's presently set up in the original top hole. So i figure I'll either slide it back or I'll have to trim the fender stays, (Or Both). The back fender is good. Everything lined up. I was worried about the skirts where they are cut out to make clearance for the frame, but No Problem.

The next issue I hoped wouldn't be, is the Chainguard and multi gear crank.They don't fit together.

I had been hoping to just reuse the existing crank, after messing with it some, but that ain't happening. I wish this was a one piece crank, I've got tons of them. Three piece cranks... one or two. I don't want to buy anything else for this other than paints, so we'll see how this goes.

I didn't look over my wheels that close yesterday before adding them in the picture. I found them in my shed, I'd forgotten I had them, so I was pleased to come across them. I probably will be going to at very least a different back wheel.

I can replace a spoke or two or three, but I don't want to completely re-lace the rim. The thing being I plan on painting my wheels and these are a good candidate for that, since the chrome on them isn't all that good.

So that's that...
I'm going to start with these issues before going on with mock ups of different parts and such. I have a set of tires I plan on using for this build and other doodads and things I'm going to try out. I plan on mocking up different sissy bars, and ape hangers. That'll be in future updates though.

Again thanks for looking and good wishes...

The mockup looks good.
Before you go trimming any fender stays and such, I think the trick with the higgins fenders and guard is to get that continuous line front to back (Check out @The Renaissance Man 's WBO bike). So you may have to wait until you get the rear fender and guard locked down where they are gonna be before you can tackle where the front fender needs to be. Good luck buddy!

Mabel this will help ya. The monark front end has its own different fender strut.
ed1e01164bd8272b29508aab1181d6ee.jpg
89b2d4ffaa08819f1cd28e1f47f573fb.jpg

That's not connected right. Fenders on Monark spinger forks should connect to the stationary fork and not the moving fork. The one pictured above would be jamming up the fender with every bump.

EDIT: I see the problem here. That fender is on backwards. The short leg should be horizontal and the long leg should be to angle up. Both should be connected to the stationary fork.

That's not connected right. Fenders on Monark spinger forks should connect to the stationary fork and not the moving fork. The one pictured above would be jamming up the fender with every bump.
Good catch, hadn't noticed it was incorrect!

How is this cool collection of parts coming along?

Latest posts

Back