1912 indian board track racer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other day a friend gave me a old 1968 schwinn typhoon. It is a little beat up but it is all there .
here are some pic''s of the bike as it stands.I am going to start this progect tomorrow,All the parts are coming off and the frame is getting a new coat of paint.This bike belonged to the ladys father he was the original owner and i told her I would dedicate this bike to him,so I will call it "BEN STONE".
1968schwinn001.jpg

1968schwinn002.jpg

1968schwinn003.jpg

The komet hub is in good condition!

There isn't a built in kick stand it is a bolt on. The chain guard says typhoon and was originally red. I have striped the frame for new paint the old paint was so bad and it had house paint and who knows what else, If you know anything about the possible year the serial # is 5 w200181 and it is on the rear drop out.

I will paint the bike back to the original red color but I am putting a monark springer on it and setting it up like the indian.
I will get more pic's but I have to wait to paint it this weekend. I have a vision and will try to let you in on it here soon.
squirrel.
typhoon001.jpg

typhoon002.jpg

typhoon003.jpg

I left the chain guard in it's original shape.

i'm no expert but those pressed fitted rear drop outs dont look like schwinn quality to me. and the little caps in the end of the small double bars??? did schwinn ever do that?

i haven't seen alot of vintage schwinns, but the ones i have seen have all had rounded off/closed tubes (even where there welded to the rear drop outs)

i believe this is a 68 typoon, you can see the rounded smaller bars i mentioned.
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg24 ... oon001.jpg

nice bike btw, its cleaning up nice.

I would love to know what the heck this is because it even had a red schinn fork that matched the chain guard and the old patina on the frame . the bike sat outside in b.f.e. on the side of a barn so one would think it should be original but it dont know enough about these old bikes being a race mech, I know mtb from the 80's on.
squirrel

i had an old schwinn knock off i used for my burrito. it has similar crimped on drop outs and the little plugs in the small bars.
IMG_1253.jpg

IMG_1255.jpg

mines probably a ross or ccm (cause i'm in canada)but many companies produced the cheaper schwinn knock off's.
any schwinn will have closed bars. check out the dropouts on this bike.
my 1967 ray looks the same.
orange_krate.jpg

def. not a schwinn, but sorry i can't help identify it.

that being said, i'm pretty sure the forks are an old set of schwinn's. probably came from the same typoon the chain guard came from.
could be a rat project from the past, could be somebody tried to get alittle extra cash for an old bike frame once upon a time. (since schwinn's are so prized.)
its an old bike for sure, and probably has alot of stories to tell.

forgot to mention...
if it is a schwinn (which i'm pretty sure it isn't) parts of the bb will be marked schwinn

i did a huffy frame a little while back, just like that one. when building, a frames a frame. im sure itll look better than any old huffy or schwinn when its done :)

CCR said:
i did a huffy frame a little while back, just like that one. when building, a frames a frame. im sure itll look better than any old huffy or schwinn when its done :)

true dat!

kinda reminds me of a JC Higgins :?:

Definitely not a Schwinn frame.

Dropouts and the ends of the bars are dead giveaways. Also where was the rear of the chainguard bolted? Schwinn's had a tab on the frame. Rims are also not schwinn, and the seat looks like its from a newer Murray or Huffy. Either way it will be a cool build!

today this bike took on a totally new look, I am no longer painting this rig I really like the raw look.I an going to clear coat the frame and I purchased the a set of 24" coaster wheels with wood colord rims that are radial laced. My boy Adam picked out a sweet set of small block eight kenda tires that look like race tires and compliment the style I am looking for.I will build a wood tank for the board tracker and picked up a tan brooks saddle but have to get crafty with the mounting and design som struts for the rear of the bike. This thing is starting to look class and fast, just what the doctor ordered.One last thing , Does anyone know where in the heck my fork is!!!!!!!!!
typhoon002-1.jpg

typhoon001-1.jpg

those rims are freakin cool !! Lookin good

Latest posts

Back