1939 ELGIN bicycle 70 YEAR STORAGE SCARY PIC Its all done !

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Well this isnt super rare & its a girls bike.. But its nice & crispy out of a lengthly storage `from the origial owners family. I added the tail light lens to the rack . `Other than that its how I got the bike . Im wondering if this bike had truss rods or just never came with them ?? Ive seen a lot with out them & some with them .. Ive also seen two types of truss rods on this style bike .. I have a set of what I believe are correct truss rods of one of the types used on these bikes .I will likely start a build thread on this one if I decide to build it up..

Update its done !! Its has a few add on parts a little touch up & a lot of elbow grease.. But it rides like a dream .

DSC05961.jpg

DSC05963.jpg

DSC07067.jpg

This is making me think about Changing My Calendar entry photo ??
DSC07066.jpg

Re: 1939 ELGIN bicycle FRESH OUT OF 70 YEAR STORAGE ..

I like how the fender goes over the fork crown. I'd just clean it and service it. And add the truss rods.

I agree . I may touch up the rack a bit & blend the lower bar on the frame ( I have a dead on color match for this color :D .) I respect patina but then theres just plain yucky.. :lol:
I will likely use a nos light & Rims set That I have saved depending on how nice it cleans up.
I have already found a correct crank & sproket Im looking to see if I have better bars .
The chrome on this bike is pretty shot. :(
But the paint is decent with a few exceptions..
I had a green one of these a few years back & I missed it so I was happy to find this one.
DSC00833.jpg

ifitsfreeitsforme said:
I like how the fender goes over the fork crown. I'd just clean it and service it. And add the truss rods.

Those are beautiful bikes. There is a basket-case version of one of those for sale locally that I've had my eye on.
I would be interested in reading your build thread on this one.

Jay

Those are very nice. I would love to find a skirt guard, it really makes a difference in the over all appearance.

I agree The skirts are why I decided to build another one of these ... :D I started a build thread on this bike & my other Elgin . I have both of them apart now ...
Aunt C said:
Those are very nice. I would love to find a skirt guard, it really makes a difference in the over all appearance.

Nice seat condition. Love the solid sprocket. Those sprockets were the same for Elgin twin bars.

1918 Ranger

I had to change the solid sprocket to the sold sloted sprocket (Its on the bike in the bottom photo.) The solid one was just to ulgy for the bike in its current condition..Ive seen both types of sprockets on these bikes. It drives me Crazy 6 months ago I had a solid one in nice condition & I sold it . Isnt that always the way :?
1918 Ranger said:
Nice seat condition. Love the solid sprocket. Those sprockets were the same for Elgin twin bars.

1918 Ranger

Re: 1939 ELGIN bicycle FRESH OUT OF 70 YEAR STORAGE Its all done

Its all done ... It has a few add on parts a little touch up paint & a little elbow grease.. :mrgreen:
But it rides so well.
In Progress
DSC07049.jpg

Happy Halloween !! 8)
DSC07068.jpg

I think Im Done with a few small details to change or do :?:
DSC07060.jpg

DSC07069.jpg

Re: 1939 ELGIN bicycle FRESH OUT OF 70 YEAR STORAGE Its all done

Its all done ... It has a few add on parts a little touch up paint & a little elbow grease.. :mrgreen:
But it rides so well.
In Progress
DSC07049.jpg

Happy Halloween !! 8)
DSC07068.jpg

I think Im Done with a few small details to change or do :?:
DSC07060.jpg

DSC07069.jpg

i have a mens Elgin that im wanting to restore to this color. what paint did you use to re touch it with?

thanks

Latest posts

Back