1943 Motorized Elgin/Huffman

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
badger002_zps64a651a0.jpg

I have a motorized bike that was built in 1943 by a guy name Allen Kauffman Matton IL. He was a big collector and builder of all type of bikes. He built this due to he couldn't buy a Whizzer or Cushman in 43. He took a 1941 Elgin bike add a 1935 Huffman Dayton springer front end - Add a 1939 Briggs and Stratton WMB motor to it - stretched the frame and used a Industrial wheel for the back wheel. This is blast to ride once you get use to it.The bike to me is a piece of American History.It's interesting to hear some of stories from older guys that built bikes like these in the 40's.
badger001_zps286f8e86.jpg
badger001_zps286f8e86.jpg
badger003_zps6e546def.jpg

super cool. I'm trying to decipher the 2 levers, one looks like it pivots a link thereby tensioning the belt to engage the drive, but the one closer to the engine case has me baffled.. throttle linkage?

To answer the question about the levers. The motor is a washing machine that still has the brass tag on it. He cut the foot lever that was use to start the motor off and weld a hand brake lever to it.And it is interesting watching me start it. The other lever is to engage the motor. What you do after it is started,you pedal it once it is moving then you pull the lever up to engage the motor. The only problem I have with the bike is once the motor is engage the lever doesn't lock in place. So I have to hold the lever up while riding it.

Latest posts

Back