1945 Elgin

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, it's spoken to ya.....You just haven't been listening!..Whatcha gonna do?

Or since it started as a girl, it could be BAD GIRL :p

7/10/14

Awesome suggestions for a name guys.....
It's funny because I have been thinking of how to possibly incorporate " Lead" into the name....
Kinda fitting , I think, because last year the Carbon Tetrachloride didn't kill me ..... but the " Lead Might " ( I dunno.... whattya think :39: )

OK , I got outside for a few hours before work for a little experimenting....

I finished with the filing and leading I think. The liquid flux bottle says to wash off excess flux as it might be corrosive .... I hit it with some Spray 9 and rinsed it off.....

And let it dry for a bit in the sun before my experiment....

I have a really old used can of plastic filler in the garage ( no clue how long ago I got it ) I wanted to see if I could further dress up my joints with a skim coat.....

Now , the spreaders make excellent mixers... But I knew if I tried to use it to spread it on tube it'd be really hard.
So instead of trying that , I just put gloves on and painted it into the joints with just my hands. Just like finger paints as a kid :crazy:

Wasn't pretty at first , but I put it in the sun to dry for 30 minutes anyways.
..... Fingers crossed , oldies crankin :rockout:

I went into the basement and hunted around.... found a used piece of Coarse Emery Cloth.... PERFECT! :cool2:

It certainly didn't need much filler....in fact most of it feathered away to hardly anything left at all. Which is good :)

I grabbed a can of primer to see how it looked.

And then a leftover can from a touch up about 3 years ago...... I used this then on my , original paint , Velvet Green 1966 VW Camper ( in my avatar pic :D ) ..... The can was available so I shot it on the bike

I am not necessarily painting the bike. I was just curious to see what my body work looked like. If it makes sense , then you are doing something radically wrong :21:

Now I am going away for the weekend ......

Vintage camping with " The Time Travel Camping Club " ....
Beers around the campfire with friends.......
Gotta work til close tonight, then hittin the road in the mornin......

Stay Tuned..... :113:

Nice work!!!! Hard to believe that joint hasn't been there forever.
How about "Miss LEADing" (pronounced Ledding)

7/16/14

Had the day off from work today. All morning was torrential downpours..... Not very motivating to get outside, thankfully the rain stopped........ Got a few hours of work done.....

More skim coat finger paint plastic filler action :crazy:

I am concentrating on only the joints I created..... not the pits , pock marks , rust , and scabs of being a 1945 bicycle o_O

Feathered through the paint to play around some more :whistle:

I wasn't happy with the way the front came out from the last time..... so I re-sanded off and started over...... much happier with the results this time...... :eek: yeah , I know..... It's a rat. But still .....

I used the emery cloth on the still somewhat tacky paint to knock down the shine a bit ( even though it claims to be satin ).... I also wanted to burn through a few layers ( some bare metal , some primer ) ..... I tried to envision the transition from my work to the existing untouched patina areas . I think It will look believable the bike has always been a boys bike left out to weather.

So , I dont really consider this as " Painting " .... moreso ...." tinting" we'll call it :confused:

More playing to come...... Stay Tuned :banana:

7/19/14

Before work today I decided to finish my " tinting" job of the frame. To me the worst and quirkiest paint jobs have the most character.
SO I decided to try to replicate a terrible house paint-like finish with what I have on hand.....

In order to get the look that I wanted..... I figured the " best" paint jobs are all because of the prep work.... Therefore, I did NONE.... just fogged it on sloppily..... dry in some areas, wet in others. Some areas were primed from the " bodywork" ,some were bare metal from the grinder for the welding ground clamp, lightly fogged over some rust , and over the 2 shades of blue......but overall, green :D

Then I wanted to replicate the aged " brush strokes " .... not to mention the darned shine..... so in a slightly X pattern I went over the whole frame with some emery cloth while the paint was still slightly tacky. Wearing through in areas, primer in some, raw metal in others....REAL happy with the results......:whistle:

Set up my Patina Jig ( Did this last year on Gumby Rumpus' chain guard )

Mist on my magic potion and let Mother Nature and Father Time do their thing ..... In fast forward of course :113:

The lid is filled with water so when it is baking in the sun it is real humid. And rusting when I'm not home to mist on the potion.
You can actually see rust particles suspended in the droplets. Man , I love chemistry ;)

Now, I'm off to work..... Green fingers and a slight smell of Salt & Vinegar Fries :acute:

Stay Tuned.....

I have seen a few processes for getting the aged patina look. Never knew about it before this build off. Very cool results and definitely keeping it in my pocket for future builds!

7/20/14

Thanks guys! :113:

Farm raised patina.....

1 day so far in the Patina Jig....
New rust is forming nicely and the original rust is showing through where I fogged over it. Overall the paint is checking perfectly . Intermittently misted about 6 times a day. The sun was pretty warm today. Baking the paint beautifully!
In just one day it is already looking like the repaint was done by brush decades ago.

7/22/14

Rusting Beautifully.....

Check out what it's doing to my clamps too :eek:

Used up all of my misty brew over the past few days.
Rinsed it off with plain water to see what I had for patina. I like it! :thumbsup:

Now I have to decide ..... Brew more ?... Keep the patina where it is ?

:39:

All depends on how much time you need and how much is left in the build-off...

Luke.

Very true buddy :confused:

Hard to believe how fast time flies during the Build Off.
Scary really :chicken:

Latest posts

Back