1950 or 1951 (?) CWC Roadmaster (?)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up my first (and VERY crusty) CWC frame earlier this Fall for $30. Came with a set of 20-gauge wheels, a straight-trussed Shockmaster fork, and a coat of (lo-and-behold) spray undercoating over everything, but no badge (see 2nd photo).

Stripping this "finish" away reveals a pitted but rat-worthy project, and its serial number: "B28168" followed by an "A" and the "Cw." From what I can find online, this possibly means the frame is a 1950 or 1951, and most likely the former ('50). Is this correct?

Also, is there any possible way to determine what "model" this CWC started life as: a Roadmaster, Hiawatha, All-American, Speed King, etc.?

Thanks!

DSC05138II.jpg
IMG_0026II.jpg

Last edited:
That's what I was thinking too. Time to get your rat on! This would be a wonderful frame to re-imagine!

If you can reveal an outline of the head badge, that would be the way to name it.
6aa3a6c8f4adf631d11f8d85f212a3b8.jpg

0ffe7c588e6c19e854085c21fe388e13.jpg

s-l300.jpg

The "ghost" of the original badge looks closest to Roadmaster to me. I considered the one for WF, but the lower hole just seemed too far from the edge to be a match. The CWC/Roadmaster badge has the little bump at the bottom that makes me think it's the right one.

I agree, but maybe a little more old paint removal might show more.

1950 Roadmaster: looks like a different headbadge?
1761159_2BZ0UMP2J.jpg

True. I think that Luxury Liner sported a different, unique badge that was rectangular, but the familiar CWC badge was also used during those years on various models.

Strangely enough, some AMF Roadmasters of the era came with yet another headbadge of identical shape, but inverted.

mz33iI_L0n_fdpkMhspUqNg_zpsfrq5oy1z.jpg

True. I think that Luxury Liner sported a different, unique badge that was rectangular, but the familiar CWC badge was also used during those years on various models.

Strangely enough, some AMF Roadmasters of the era came with yet another headbadge of identical shape, but inverted.

mz33iI_L0n_fdpkMhspUqNg_zpsfrq5oy1z.jpg
I've never seen that badge before. Probably the few years after they bought CWC and before they went to Arkansas. 54-56 is my guess.

Thanks for all the great input!

Inspired by both the mention of the W.F. "Super" and '50 Roadmaster. I was able to work at stripping parts of the frame and look a bit further into possibly identifying the badge. The photos below might help in confirming this (as I'm still not at all certain). You can also see the brazing which appeared in particular areas, under the layers of previous green and red paint, and just how pitted and rusty this ol' CWC really is.

The "Shockmaster" fork is now completely free-moving, and cleaning up nicely.

IMG_0045II.jpg
IMG_0046II.jpg
IMG_0047II.jpg
IMG_0048II.jpg
IMG_0049II.jpg
IMG_0051II.jpg

Looks like a ghost of the Roadmaster reflector headbadge to me. But that would make the frame older.
Screenshot_2017-01-07-06-14-30-1.png

That pitting looks great! I wouldn't cover it, I would wire brush it and polish it up to shine almost as good as chrome. The brazing is almost the same as
old 191.jpg
was on this 53 CWC:

In my current spare time, I'm working to polish the remaining paint and metal underneath to a nice shine. Plan in to spray clear and get this CWC back on the road in the form of a well-built rat. As this is turning from an I.D. question to the actual build, be looking for a build thread soon.

In the meantime, if anyone has a reasonably priced CWC badge they would be willing to part ways with, message me or respond to this thread. Thanks again!

HoosierNovice

Latest posts

Back