1952 Schwinn??

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely not a '52. Those pedals might be worth looking into :D

Feb 07, 1964, going by the number. But LeTour wasn't made that year either. It looks 70's.

arpicker said:
He says that the Serial Code is b424358 and that he found it on the frame on the left rear dropout.

What year is it from?

February of '64. There are 6 digits after the letter. He was using the the code for 5 digits after the letter.

From ReCycle:

Le Tour (1972-88) Schwinn’s first European style touring bike. The Le Tours’ lugged frames were manufactured in Japan as Schwinn’s Chicago factory could not handle the lightweight chrome-moly steel tubing at the time. It was Schwinn’s first imported bike and it ranked in the midrange of the Schwinn line (just above the Traveler).

arpicker said:
It the Le Tour was made from 72-88 then why would the serial number be from 64?

Post 1970 frames also had the serial number on the headtube. The write-up is about lugged Le Tours (they made non-lugged also right?), basically a dressed up Varsity.

I believe all the lugged frames were made by Panasonic in Japan. IN a last ditch attempt to keep making lightweight Schwinns in the USA some Le Tours were made in the Mississippi plant, but that attempt only lasted about 2 years,,those bikes probably did not have the lugged frame.

Please let me know if I am wrong.

I bought one of those Panasonic made Schwinns, a 75 Traveler. I made the longest ride of my life, Tampa to Jacksonville in 1978 on that bike. After 76, they had them made by Giant. Yours looks better than my Traveler, it had a one piece bottom bracket, while yours has a 3 piece. Here's a catalog page from 74:

zmebz8.jpg

El Duderino said:
those old completely steel bikes arent worth a whole lot. however do look into those pedals because they might be

While they are very cool, I don't think the pedals are worth a lot. I'm pretty sure you can get them for like $20 a set new. Just a cute beach cruiser pedal, that's all.

I believe the imported frames don't have typical Schwinn serial numbers. The headbadge may have a 4 digit code that's the day and year, so Dec 31, 1972 would be 3652. (someone please correct me if I have that backwards!) :mrgreen: -Adam

Latest posts

Back