1953 Buick Special

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up selling my bagged wagon and got this instead. It's a 1953 Buick Special, the last year for the Fireball straight 8. It's pretty straight and the floor is solid, it runs and drives but it needs a little work before it's my daily. Right now I'm working on trading my motorcycle for a metalflake paint job for it. This picture only shows the "good" side, the drivers side is spray painted flatblack and all the trim is removed.

buick.jpg

buick2.jpg

How cool is that and a straight 8 to boot ? Good Luck with it.
Nice to see the old iron still pounding the pavement.

Gold Street Customs said:
Is it the Dynaflow ? I had a 51 Special with a three on a tree 2 dr coupe, ( yes I regret selling it) I ended putting a straight pipe on it, wide whites, and the red flying horse decals on the fender corners. That was all she needed 8)

Yep, it has the Dynaflow with a 263 straight 8. I'm getting some exhaust flanges cut and I have a pile of manderal bent 1 1/2" tubing so I can make a split header for it, I think I'm going to try dual straight pipes all the way out the back but I might throw some motorcycle baffles in it to tone it down a bit. Some people say you can use stock '78 or '79 El Camino rear coils in the rear of Buicks to lower them about 4", Buicks don't have leaf springs so lowering blocks aren't an option and the coil are tappered on both ends so you can't cut them.

murraymadman said:
i am so jealous! i miss my 57roadmaster 4door i had. should have never sold it :cry:

I don't care what anyone says, 4 doors are the best.

IMG_20120123_180302.jpg

IMG_20120123_180319.jpg

The dash is really nice and is only missing one knob
IMG_20120123_180216.jpg

I tore the interior out so I can fix a few holes in the floor pans and clean up the rest of it, all in all it's a pretty solid car.
IMG_20120123_180242.jpg

It has a lot of torque and you can get it to spin the tires if you want but they don't rev up very high. I think they make most of the power around 3000rpm.

murraymadman said:
not to be nosey, but what does a car like that go for in your area?

I got it for $2000, probably could of haggled a little more but it was a fair price and we were both happy with the price we settled on.

bicycleguy said:
murraymadman said:

I got it for $2000, probably could of haggled a little more but it was a fair price and we were both happy with the price we settled on.
:shock: now i am really jealous! what a deal. i think a car in that good of condition would bring at least twice that here. but of course we have alot more "road rot" here, so it's harder to find solid cars. she's an absolute beauty, can't wait to see it done!

bicycleguy said:
murraymadman said:

:shock: SCORE!!! :shock:

Latest posts

Back