1953 Buick Special

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finished welding in the floor pans and threw down a coat of black epoxy. I think I'm going to put some roll on truck bed liner on top of the epoxy for more protection.
IMG_20120126_124643.jpg

Future headers...
IMG_20120126_124704.jpg

I noticed that your hood opens like a normal car, in 51 it tilted up sideways, you had a lever on both sides of the interior that pulled to release the latch on whatever side you wanted to work on, if you did both you could lift the hood completely off, with some help of course. I have owned alot of Buicks including a 58 Super 4dr hardtop, that was the biggest car I ever owned, except maybe the 61 Lincoln Continental, my 58 looked exactly like this.
http://www.google.com/imgres?q=58+buick ... fDg&zoom=1

I've been sanding for the last couple days. I found some bondo in the rear quarters so I sanded it down and did a little body work but that turned into sanding the whole car down. :roll: If you think stripping the paint off a bike is a lot of work try a car. I think it lots pretty good in bare metal though so I don't know about paint yet???

IMG_20120130_135728.jpg

IMG_20120201_152550.jpg

bicycleguy said:
Gold Street Customs said:
Is it the Dynaflow ? I had a 51 Special with a three on a tree 2 dr coupe, ( yes I regret selling it) I ended putting a straight pipe on it, wide whites, and the red flying horse decals on the fender corners. That was all she needed 8)

Yep, it has the Dynaflow with a 263 straight 8. I'm getting some exhaust flanges cut and I have a pile of manderal bent 1 1/2" tubing so I can make a split header for it, I think I'm going to try dual straight pipes all the way out the back but I might throw some motorcycle baffles in it to tone it down a bit. Some people say you can use stock '78 or '79 El Camino rear coils in the rear of Buicks to lower them about 4", Buicks don't have leaf springs so lowering blocks aren't an option and the coil are tappered on both ends so you can't cut them.

Try a 5 & 3 combo for a special tone on that split. An old old Buick guy showed me his 47 set up that way... He takes money from know it all sbc guys all the time saying that's what's under his hood..It idles for a bit the wager is made & money is taken!

bart savage said:
bicycleguy said:
Gold Street Customs said:
Is it the Dynaflow ? I had a 51 Special with a three on a tree 2 dr coupe, ( yes I regret selling it) I ended putting a straight pipe on it, wide whites, and the red flying horse decals on the fender corners. That was all she needed 8)

Yep, it has the Dynaflow with a 263 straight 8. I'm getting some exhaust flanges cut and I have a pile of manderal bent 1 1/2" tubing so I can make a split header for it, I think I'm going to try dual straight pipes all the way out the back but I might throw some motorcycle baffles in it to tone it down a bit. Some people say you can use stock '78 or '79 El Camino rear coils in the rear of Buicks to lower them about 4", Buicks don't have leaf springs so lowering blocks aren't an option and the coil are tappered on both ends so you can't cut them.

Try a 5 & 3 combo for a special tone on that split. An old old Buick guy showed me his 47 set up that way... He takes money from know it all sbc guys all the time saying that's what's under his hood..It idles for a bit the wager is made & money is taken!
Nice!!!

I have been trying to work on the Buick here and there when I get a chance. I finished up the headers... it's loud but so awesome! 8) It's a lot of work going from a box of tubing to a finished set of headers but I think it was definetely worth it.

IMG_20120214_162505.jpg

IMG_20120214_155034.jpg

IMG_20120214_155024.jpg

bicycleguy said:
I have been trying to work on the Buick here and there when I get a chance. I finished up the headers... it's loud but so awesome! 8) It's a lot of work going from a box of tubing to a finished set of headers but I think it was definetely worth it.

IMG_20120214_162505.jpg

IMG_20120214_155034.jpg

IMG_20120214_155024.jpg

Nice work!!

ok, i officially hate you!!! just kidding. :lol: that is so awesome, and what amazes me is it looks as if there has never been any body repair!

murraymadman said:
ok, i officially hate you!!! just kidding. :lol: that is so awesome, and what amazes me is it looks as if there has never been any body repair!

There was a little bondo in the rear quarters but it wasn't too bad. I was really suprised how straight it actually was for a 59 year old car.

The old tires were cracking pretty bad and they got to the point where I didn't feel safe driving on them so I picked up a set of used WWW on craigslist.

IMG_20120507_170600.jpg

IMG_20120507_194339.jpg

Latest posts

Back