1957 Schwinn Panther - Winter Build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that the Snow has melted (at least until it returns this weekend) I decided to take a short shake down ride of my Winter Build. Not terribly happy with the ride, and will probably mount some Electra Retro Runners instead of the Bontrager Hank's (which can't seem to find a happy home on any of my bikes).

I like the 3 speed Nexus and it shifts very well, but I am indifferent to the build. Just doesn't seem to float my boat...perhaps because the Red has faded to Orange...or because of the tires... :|

DSCF0081.jpg

DSCF0074.jpg

DSCF0076.jpg

DSCF0075.jpg

Or maybe because the photographer/bike builder is out of practice... :oops:

DSCF0074b.jpg

Hey,
What I think is that you are too tall. This frame design dates back to when a 10 year old got a bike that was too big, and grew into it to where it was too small about the time he got a drivers lisence. The looks of the biker with the seat low would be faster, more streamlined. Maybe a quick release on the seat post and lower it when you get off and look at it. With a handsome guy like you riding it no one will see that tall post.
The other thought I have is pinstripes. Some contrasting baby blue pinstripes will bring the flat color to life. Sounds weird but hold up some baby blue to it.
Peace,
Bicycledon

I like the build, but IMHO the forks are all wrong for it. It needs a set of Schwinn blade forks with chrome truss rods. WHy no likey the Hanks? THey look tough!

Joe

I agree with the fork and seat post comments.

That frame looks killer and I think the Hanks look awesome too.

Hey Jimbo,

I was looking at your bike and I have to say I'm digging it! The frame is awesome and I like the color. I am a big fan of comfort bikes. So your bike is very similar to that look for me. But I am seeing your point about something just not setting right. I think if you switched out the forks for something like MTB and changed the handlebars to flat bars you could get away with the high seat post. I imagine you are very tall, so the posts has to be high. A Klunker route maybe more suitable. Just a thought.

Poppa

At the risk of upsetting some people, I am going to go out there and say that I have never been a fan of that style of springer fork... and that's why none of my dozens of bikes are running them.

But the rest of the bike looks spot on. Are you dissatisfied with the way it rides or with the way it looks?

Thanks for all the wonderful comments, I really appreciate them. I have Schwalbe's Creme colored Fat Franks, several versions of Electra's Retro Runners, and your typical Brick Schwinn Typhoon/Tycoon Treads on my various bikes and for some reason the Bontrager's Hanks just feel weird compared to them. I swear by Bontrager's on my Road Bikes - I have never ever gotten a flat with them with their 700 x 23 tires and the roads where I ride here in Michigan are awful.

I have tried different tire pressures on the Hanks from 35 lbs. up to 60 lbs and I don't know what it is, it just doesn't work and they feel weird while riding. Perhaps it is because of the bald tread. They are like the ugly bridesmaid. Too cute by half. Hence they are the first to go after I build a bike. These tires are the oldest I have and for some reason they continue to get jilted at the bike build altar. They probably have 3 miles on them!

I agree with the forks...same thing. It doesn't work. It has been on several of my bike builds and is usually the first thing to go...and yes, I am too tall at 6'2". I am working on that! :p

I have a couple of spare Schwinn Forks but I'll have to repaint one of them in order to get a somewhat close match to the original paint on the frame. I don't paint in the winter time...perhaps in July, the weather will be okay... :p

Thanks again for your suggestions!

Very nice bike. I love the whole Klunker style of it. I'm glad to see the snow melt and the sun shining too. I live on the other side of the mitten. :)

Thanks Schwinnmesa...has this been the coldest and longest winter that you can remember here in Michigan in some time?

Global Warming my big old rear end! I think Summer will arrive for one day on July 28 and then leave promptly to Texas...where the better bikes live a life of leisure at Uncle Stretch's place. If I were a bike, that's where I would go...:p

Having said that I think it is fitting that I submit the latest redux photos in front of a real snow plow... Thanks to all who gave wonderful suggestions...still working on the seat height and handlebar stem adjustment...give me some time on that. :D

Upon leaving work, I stopped at a local bike shop to have a 1959 Schwinn Fork twisted/forced back into shape and happened to notice a Red Road Bike fork hanging on the wall that seemed like a close match to my faded paint job on this bike (as you might know from searching past posts, I really suck at painting, so anything to avoid a poor paint job...and especially a poor paint job in cold weather)... I bought it for $10.00 and since it is so thin, I had no other options but to put a 26" x 1.5" Kenda Tire on it. Since it is taller than your normal Schwinn Fork, I put some spacers on it so it would fit on the frame. It is as close to a color match that I could ever get by attempting to paint a matching fork.

Many of you have no problem putting a thin front tire up front, but this will take some getting used to. And I will admit that it rides better than the Springer Fork that was on there yesterday... :oops:

DSCF0083.jpg

DSCF0085.jpg

DSCF0088.jpg

DSCF0089.jpg

DSCF0090.jpg

DSCF0091.jpg

DSCF0092.jpg

I agree with yes honey. blade forks with chrome truss rods. LOVE the bike tho.

i like that bike both ways, but the original way with the hanks and springer look really good... to me. the bike kinda reminds me of my 59' amf project i built last fall, but with no springer. i gotta admitt, it looks good the way you have it now, too. i have the same problem with some of my bikes and a few get redone a few times a year.

Latest posts

Back