1958 SCHWINN ?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked this up today and was wondering what model this could be. It is a 1958. looks like it will clean up ok with the mouse dirt removed. It has s-7 wheels and the large head badge.

Took fenders off a donor bike and found a feather chain guard. Added some s-2 wheels laced the rear to a red band Bendix and added some Schwinn Typhoon tires. It will be painted sometime. I still have not fiqured out if this is a Hornet or Spitfire. Any way to tell with the origi nal chain guard missing?

I am no expert but there is no way to tell if it is a hornet or a spitfire with out the original chain guard.. the chain guard would have the logo of model name on it. A hornet would have a tank and painted rims unless it was a hornet deluxe (chrome rims). but a deluxe would also have a springer front end. most spitefires came with stainless fenders. (hornets were painted i believe) but not always the case. front rack probably came on a spitefire. best way would be to google the schwinn catalog from 1958 to see what came with hornets and spitefires of that year. below are two pics of my 1957 Hornets. green one is a regular hornet. it is supposed to say hornet on the chain guard. red/black is a hornet deluxe. its hard to read in this pic but chain guard should say deluxe hornet

I wish my 53 Schwinn had paint that good. I'll bet you could touch it up and it would look great. Also looks like your forks have a very slight bend backwards, easy fix.

That's a Streamliner. DX paint job on a cantilever frame. Should have the DX rack, a tank, and the big deluxe chainguard like the Phantom had. Gary

Latest posts

Back