1959 Schwinn Rat Rod

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm starting with a bike that I found on craigslist for $6.25 (four bikes for twenty-five bucks, haha). It's a '59 Schwinn and I love it.

Photo taken 30 June 2011.
dsc06478h.jpg

Gross seat. It just needs to be cleaned up; I'll save my Brooks for something else.

dsc06479c.jpg

Uh oh...

dsc06481b.jpg

Turn up the radio! It's going to be a long day. :roll:

dsc06483v.jpg

Love these grips!

dsc06480t.jpg

I have the original front fender but not the matching rear fender. It's a rat though so who cares? I'm going to put a rusty one on the rear thanks for my '71 Hollywood parts bike.

dsc06516e.jpg

Hammer anyone? :lol:

dsc06515d.jpg

dsc06514j.jpg

I love my Park bike stand!!

dsc06495.jpg

What a mess!!

dsc06517a.jpg

Mismatched fenders, oh well... welcome to rathood. :p

dsc06518e.jpg

dsc06525e.jpg

Looking great with those black rims!

dsc06526h.jpg

Need a chain guard! The bracket had a leftover screw stuck in one of the holes and it was missing the head! It had to use a drill and the vice to get it out. It was worth the work; I like chrome chain guard -- nice and ratty!

dsc06533p.jpg

dsc06534fk.jpg

Vintage electrical tape, anyone? :lol:

dsc06535l.jpg

I had to swap handlebars since the other ones had a big slit in them by the stem. These ones are okay and still vintage. What I like about this bike is that every part on has been free -- not much WD-40 needed. I guess staying up in the attic for years worked... all you need is a roof over their head!

dsc06544w.jpg

dsc06554c.jpg

I noticed the rear reflector was lacking some character so even though it isn't a teardrop reflector, it's still beggin' for the "S"!!!

dsc06551gp.jpg

I went inside to look for my X-acto knife... can't find it! So I impatiently got a silver Sharpie and drew the "S". It looks horrible, I know... I could have done way better if I had the time but I want to finish this bike today!

dsc06553on.jpg

Here are some pics of how it looks now. I'm starting to change my mind about the rear fender... I should paint it black. Maybe I should find my X-acto knife and do a cool design back there too.

dsc06568c.jpg

dsc06566i.jpg

dsc06565h.jpg

It's almost done but not quite; I have to get that rear fender black and with the white stripes!

I might as well polish the chrome since I wouldn't have to worry about the chrome rear fender anymore. That's why I didn't want to polish the chrome at first; I didn't want the shiny rear fender taking away from its charm. That sucker's turning black!!!

Looks done to me, although a black fender would look COOL :mrgreen: Keep up the good work, great color combo there :wink:

classy looking ride there !!! i was kind of liking the mismatched fender, it sort of had a gasser look to it, don't mind the change a bit though either :) time for some skidmarks !!!

Latest posts

Back